SKC Pre-Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenDover, Feb 3, 2018.

1. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding identity, I agree about the jersey, but on the positive side they have at least remained consistent with the primary kit look. The SKC look isn't iconic (yet), but is identifiable on TV. If I see light blue (and its not in a baseball stadium) I know its SKC.

I thought I read somewhere that the shorts are grey? Is that right or did I dream it? They look blue in the pictures.

2. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. :rolleyes: I missed the not in a baseball stadium part on the first pass.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well put. I also loved the state line concept, and am consistently disappointed that new jersey releases don't seem to have the same level of thought put into them. Maybe the tire treads symbolize the fact that everybody has to drive a fairly decent distance to the games?

Formulaic and KCFutbol repped this.
  4. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reading an article about Rowe in The Athletic today and it mentioned that SKC "will balance a schedule that includes CONCACAF Champions League, U.S. Open Cup and a potential tournament with Liga MX teams."

What's this tournament with Liga MX teams?

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kcfooty repped this.
  6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, so if this was going to be on a top four clubs basis, we'd be in from last year. But this sounds as if they're going to lean towards the west (From ESPN: The teams haven't been confirmed internally, but MLS sides from the West Coast are expected to be well-represented, as well as a Mexican club close to the border, a source told ESPN FC.), and the close to the border Liga MX side make it sound, to me, as if the MLS 4 will be LA (2), Houston and either DAllas of one other side, although that is unlikely to be Atlanta as they have their own Liga MX game already. I know they haven't said anything, but to me it sounds as if we would be on a short-ish list of "others to consider" but still a bit of a long shot to get a bid.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also, just because I just saw it again, but I have t smile every time I watch a Besler promo piece on the Sporting site because, and has anyone else noticed this, he is always rocking back and forth. he just can't stop dancing.:)

8. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    It's the 'baby sway'. The rocking back and forth that you do continually when holding infants, and you end up doing it all the time. It took me years to stop, and still occasionally catch myself doing it.

mschofield repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ah, yes it is. As it's 30 years after for me, I had forgotten.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, I never stopped, even after all my kids were grown up. Came in handy when the grandchildren came along. Doubt that I'll ever stop. Heck, I can't stop.

mschofield repped this.
  11. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 BenDover, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    I can’t even imagine how this first CONCACAF game is going to go based on the preseason performance of SKC. I know that it is tough to gauge the effectiveness of their current attacking form, but when they have problems scoring on a pre-season USL team, it doesn’t look good for a game against an in-form mid season Liga MX team.

It will be hard to figure if Toluca is going to play a reserve heavy side the first game. They have been in kind of a slump lately and face a glut of games starting this Saturday. They face Leon on the 16th, five days later they play in chilly CMP on the 21st. Three days after that, they have to play Santos Laguna on the 24th, then turn right around and play SKC again 4 days later on the 28th. Then, they play 3 days later against Veracruz. This may be a good thing for SKC who should be coming in fresh, although, probably not in their best form. If Christante try’s to juggle the line-ups too much, it may give SKC just enough of an opening to get by Toluca and on to the next round.

mschofield repped this.
  12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Eh, I'll greatly enjoy any positive results, but I'm having a real serious difficulty seeing how SKC could get past Toluca.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The upside for us, in addition to the above point about their fixture congestion, is that we do tend to start relatively quickly, and Vermes sounds really upbeat. The downside is that I'm not sure I'd put money on us if we were in mid season form.