SKC Pre-Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenDover, Feb 3, 2018.

1. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out here live at the pre season game between SKC and Col. About 15 minutes in and SKC up 2-0 on goals from Shelton and Gerso.

Formulaic and Sachsen repped this.
  2. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that SKC is playing a possible starting 11 except with Lindsay and Lobato as outside backs. Both doing very well.
    Croizet is a player; fast, has a cannon for a shot and has already skinned most of their defensive line.

Formulaic repped this.
  3. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croizet playing the Feilhaber role with Shaloi and Gerso on the wings. Croizet is easily up to the task distributing the ball well.

mschofield, Formulaic and Sachsen repped this.
  4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I mean, yes, preseason Colorado, but I am excited to hear that. Croizet was signed really early and the buzz about him has been a little mild, but he seems clever and tricky and I really hope he can bring that to Children's Mercy this year.

5. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How has Shelton looked?

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game isn't streamed, it's based solely on tweets about the game.

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he knows that, hence why he is asking the person who is live and present at the game itself.

8. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Moving this discussion to a new pre-season thread. Carry on.

Sachsen repped this.
  9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd misread the earlier comments. I'd been told the game today was closed to the public so I'd assumed he was going off twitter.

Sachsen repped this.
  10. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can say with a good amount of certainly that PV will put a collar on him.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    two straight games now no Zusi and no Medranda.

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Injury?

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Thad has reached out to the team already, Sam says he’ll ask Monday too.

14. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game was closed to the public, but they let us in to watch it anyway.

15. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shelton looked good. They played him in the striker position. Receives the ball well with his back to the goal and is good with his feet. He jumped on an errant ball from a defender and slotted a nice goal past Tim Howard.

16. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my take on the game today against COL. SKC lines up in a 4-3-3 (no big surprise here). Lobato Besler Opara Lindsey in back, Ilie Espinoza Croizet in the middle and Shalloi Shelton Gerso up front. I think COL fielded their starting 11, but can’t be sure. No surprises in the way the team played e.g, deliberate ball control working the wings into the offensive third. Ilie was pulling the strings in the middle until the ball moved up to Croizet. Croizet is very good with his feet and seemed to move at will through the midfield. Shelton showed well at striker. His size and strength is a plus and he has good movement around the box. Had a nice goal.
    The big surprise is how well the fullbacks played. It’s the first time I have seen Lindsey play and he was impressive. He has really good speed and was not afraid to jump into attacking up the wing. I never saw a Colorado player get by him. Lobato seems to have found his place as the left back working very well with Bes and Ilie. For Shalloi and Gerso....basically no change from last season. SKC controlled most of the ball in the first half taking a 2-0 lead.
    After halftime, SKC came out with basically an SPR team with Sinovic and Rubio. I only watched about 15 minutes of the second half, but the Rangers again had most of the ball and chances on goal. Noticeably absent was Zusi and Medranda.

mschofield and Sachsen repped this.
  17. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the pre-season game vs NYRB it is still very evident that the offensive problem has not been fixed for SKC. The addition of Gutierrez and Russell should help, but they still haven’t seen the pitch with the first game just 17 days away.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutierrez started last night...

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and scored a goal!

20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We played against a team that is on a schedule to be ready for competition weeks before we have to. I expected to get torn apart, so I'm happy with how they stepped up and looked solid.

Croizet looked a little rough on the ball by he was being excellently industrious and was constantly getting into dangerous places. More time and more chemistry with the actual starting front line and I think he'll shine.

Rubio looked good. Cleaner touches for sure. Kid wants to rock this season, I could see it in his attitude out there.

Lindsey looked raw but not terrible. Not sure he's ready to see tons of mls minutes, but at least he's not Storm.

Busio is. A. Pros. Pect. He should shape into something. Use of the ball, comfort on it, positioning? All the important traits are there to build on.

Roger does not want to lose his spot, haha. He looked good out there. Gutierrez looked like he's seen limited minutes lately.

Those were my biggest impressions.

21. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess I should have clarified they haven't played together yet.

22. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Didn't Hernandez score not Gutierrez.

vividox repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Slight quibble with Lindsey. He looks much stronger than I thought. I expected all speed and no nous. He had a bit of both. He needs to learn, and time with SPR will be great, but he really looks to be capable of handling some SKC minutes.
    OTOH, not sure how likely that is.
    To add, Amor had a couple nice outlet passes. He looked confident, strong on the ball and looked to be way out in front of Didic should someone go down, or the US suddenly be a late, mystery qualifier for the WCup. Didic looked a little lost.

24. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don't be surprised if Khiry Shelton is starting at CF on March 4th....and I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

25. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our 2nd goal was one of the nicest team goals I've ever seen with a nice bit of skill by Roger Espinoza to set the whole thing up. Very well done by 4 different players