SKC Juniors Update

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by szazzy, Apr 21, 2008.

1. dagopop

dagopop Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    Bump, for comments from Brian Sciaretta's post-mortem of the U17 World Cup. He's talking about the future professional prospects of some of the key members of the team (but not the stars already with European teams), and the importance of these players getting minutes in MLS.

Who wants to take bets on how many minutes Jaylin Lindsey gets for SKC next year? I'll put the over/under at 15.5. The whole article is very good, by the way: http://americansoccernow.com/articles/what-does-the-future-hold-for-the-us-u-17-teenagers.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I just looked at the SPR Roster page. 20 players, 5 of 18 field players are currently over 23. One field player and one goalkeeper are currently 23.

I'd like to see MLS encourage their teams to have their USL affiliates be U-23 (U-25/26 for GKs) teams, with the odd injury rehab first teamer.

If you're 27 and playing in the USL, you're likely not going to be someone that would be above end of the bench replacement level in MLS.

Blando13 repped this.
  4. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, MLS shouldn't need to encourage their teams to be U23. Teams should want to develop U23 players. The goal shouldn't be to support a potential "late bloomer". Let independent USL teams do that. MLS teams should be trying to develop players that aren't "late bloomers".

The hard part of this is the MLS Drafted Seniors. They're likely close to 23 and you don't have much time with them on a USL roster prior to being over 23. But take Jaylin Linsday for example ... He should be the starting RB on SPR next year unless he's getting time with MLS. Colton Storm shouldn't be an option for SPR next year, you either make Storm the backup to Zusi over SAS, or you move on from him.

There are probably 4 or 5 roster spots that are players on USL contracts that really should likely be on independent USL rosters and we push for a few more minutes for Academy players/graduates. But I think we're working towards that ... the roster is younger than last year.

5. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like this class of Academy "graduates" signed NLI with a group of higher profile NCAA squads. Buzz, this seems to be a trend ... or am I making this up in my head?

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year there were certainly at least a couple players going to higher profile programs than in the past few years, Knox to UNC and Harris to Louisville being the 2 biggest.

Here's the link for those that haven't seen it.
    https://www.sportingkc.com/post/201...g-kc-academy-players-make-college-commitments

7. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Young prospects seeing the academy as, if nothing else, good opportunity to better their odds at a good college is a along point of the academy, I guess?

8. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah ... and really, it started last year, although Wan Kuzain signed with SPR, he was heading to Akron, correct? Just think there's more Power Conference Soccer signings and fewer "Baker"/UMKC signings.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Kuzain was headed to Akron, Lindsey was headed to UNC as well.

Blando13 repped this.
  10. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to play in college, playing in a USDA is nearly a guaranteed way to get to a D1 or D2 school.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The talent pool is a B- and the quality of development is rated at D+? Who is heading up the academy development and are the coaches that poor? No wonder we rarely see promising players out of the SKC academy. Waste of money, time and talent.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the new academy director can help correct it, guess we'll see.

14. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Does the academy teach the PV system or do they just focus on player development in general?

15. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My rantings and ravings about Peter on this forum are mostly about this. The academy was supposed to be the pipeline of players. It isn't, so SKC have moved to a model of older euros.

As someone with a lot of first hand knowledge about the 2001-2004 group, it amazes me that next to nothing came out of that pool of players. The most talented typically opted for college over SKCII. One of the best prospects (maybe the best) left the states to get his training.

"They have also struggled to improve their players from the U15 level through to the first team — many promising prospects have faded. "

Please correctly interpret that statement as the coaching within the academy sucks.

16. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% 4-3-3 possession, counter press, Peter style soccer.

The concept is that they would develop players that learn the system early and are ready to contribute to the first team. In reality, they develop players that learned a single position in a single style of play.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is honestly why you probably haven't seen much out of the players that have gone to college and graduated that the club passed on.

18. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. They are not developed to learn how to solve the game in front of them, but rather programed how to play a specific position within a specific style.

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I agree that the academy needs to be much less of a pipeline to Vermes-ball and much more focused on direct development of young players to be the best they can be...

But it's also not some weird and new sin to do. Some of the most famed academies in history were very much built around a singular style, like Ajax or (********ing gasp) Barcelona. Furthermore, those academies built players in basically exactly the same style as Pete is going for. I think this qualifies again as hubris, where Pete's big ideas outpace his ability to coach, manage, and instill at the level required to make it work.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct that clubs do have their style all the way up, but those styles are also would seem to be much more flexible in their use and deployment than Vermes ball which as we've seen is very inflexible.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More changes to the academy staff, Beetlejuice is back in KC (his kid is in the academy).

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Have any context to share on this guy? Google isn't telling me much.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former indoor soccer player, was on the Attack when they won NPSL championship team. Had a reputation of being nasty, one of those guys you hate when he's on the other team. He's been coaching high school as far as I can tell since retiring. His son scored against Cincinnati this year in the MLSNP game there.

Inca Roads and Blando13 repped this.
  24. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His background is very Jon Parry. Former indoor pro. Big into futsal. Part of the same US Youth Futsal national team program that Parry was a big part of. I think he was a "talent evaluator" at some of the USYF national team tryouts my son attended.

Some googling indicates he was a club coach at Pipeline SC, a club with ECNL boys teams. ECNL is the top level of boys soccer outside of an MLS academy.

Similar to hiring Declan to replace Parry, this isn't a needle mover.

25. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but former SKC Academy and SKC II player Jayvin Van Deventer was recognized as all conference in the NPSL. He was my son's teammate for years. Great kid. Maybe he'll come back to SKC after he's finished at Northwestern.

upload_2023-7-25_15-37-49.png