Sites that Ship to USA

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by amanzo81, Sep 29, 2005.

1. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América
    Sorry to bring this up again, but does anyone know of any sites that will ship the new FM 06 to US adresses? With the release date being set, id really like to order the game if possible.

2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I'll talk with the guys tommorow (it's still early morning in London) and try and get a list, but I'd really like to encourage you to talk to your local stores and enquiry about the availability of World Wide Soccer Manager; I know how frustrating it can be to wait, so if you do end up importing it, it would be incredibley helpful for the stores to know that there are people interested in the product in the US.

3. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, the ETA on Gamestops site says 11/1, of course last year there was a big mess, but still. If you reserve it, you shouldn't have a problem getting it, once it comes out. I'll be heading to my local Gamestop to preorder this weekend.

4. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Would I be asking them to reserve Football Manager 2006 or would I be wanting World Wide Soccer Manager?

(In the US I mean)

5. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América

I tried that last year, it was a huge mess. I went to about 10 different shops in my area and they all said they wouldnt carry it. When I finally got one to take the preorder, they asked for a 50% down payment. I figured it was not a big deal so I said yes. When the US release date came, they said it would be a couple of days late, no problem I said. Anyway, long story short, they never got it, my deposit was returned in store credit, and I wasnt very happy. I downloaded a bootleg version, but never installed it as i felt guilty about taking money away from SI. I still play the old CM 4 I got at my local Fry's a couple of years back. I'm really liking the screen shots of the new features, so I want to update my game

6. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Frys actually carried WSM last year, so try there again. But, definatly, try any Gamestop, or ebgames(Since GS bought them out) this year, typically they are good for their preorders, but make sure you do order it, cause if you don't, chances are slim your local store will be chosen to carry it(What happened to me last year)

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You'd want to ask for World Wide Soccer Manager 2006.

8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Um, isn't that illegal? Aren't they required to refund your money?

9. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América
    Yes, but they refunded in store credit. They consider it the same thing, when really its not. I gave it away last year because I dont play many video games anymore except this one.

The Fry's stores around here carry all the old CM series upto 03/04. Some are actually pretty good deals too. The 98 version was 5 dollars last time i checked. Good way to get people hooked on the game.

10. groogas

groogas New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Baltimore
    Does anyone know if there is a major difference between FM 2006 and Worldwide Soccer Manager 2006? Is it just the name and box art that is different? I'm also wondering if WSM 06 comes in the PC/MAC format? I have a MAC and I don't want to order a PC-only version by mistake.

Thanks

11. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

All the versions of the game ship on a Dual Format disk that has both a PC and Mac version of the game.

There isn't much of a difference at all between the FM and WWSM, besides a new logo, and a US translation of the game (which you may or may not like).

12. groogas

groogas New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Baltimore
    Great. Thanks. When you say U.S. translation. Do you mean in the user interface or the media comments? I would kind of miss the Brit speak in team talks and media stories.

13. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Both are translated to the more common US english equivalents.

Things like pitch -> field, colour -> color, things of that nature.

14. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Essentially, there's a English US language. Which is completely condescending. And I thought, SI would've learned from the first time, that We're not willing to wait an extra 2-3 weeks for a lame language pack.

you can order straight from the UK at www.gameplay.co.uk

Your money would be converted to pounds, then it'll take about 2-3 weeks to arrive.

15. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can set language to the "British" English though, I believe.

16. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true. But the US version is behind by several weeks to a month Just FOR that extra "language".

That's what pisses me off.

17. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't want to be rude, but you're clueless on this.

The US English translation has been finished for more than two months now.

The reason you have to wait has 0 to do with SI and everything to do with Sega of America.

I'm also trying to figure out how it's condescending?

18. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, now I remember SEGA for whatever reason had some weird problem getting the game to shelves, you had to seek forever to find the proper copy.

Its condescending(sp?) because the terms used in FM are similar to terms used in the US. the use of "Head Coach" instead of Manager is inane, because in Baseball the man in charge is called the "Manager". The only "possibly" necessary change is for "field" and "pitch", but I think that can be overcome as well.

Yes, I'm sorry for blaming SI for the delay. In my head I blamed the several week-long delay on the "US Language Pack" , because I found it to be a waste of energy.

It was just a bit of pent-up rage. I could deal with the name change (WWSM vs. FM), and even the US language wasn't that bad, but the different patches for the game really ticked me off. WWSM patch vs. FM patch. Because I ask myself when games made in the US are released overseas do they go through such mundane localization. I know street signs, and traffic lights and other colloquialisms may require some explanation. But when it comes to an issue of a bug or small error in the game itself when such a thing like the "US language" pack is in, and the game happens to be several weeks behind, it does lead to some frustration over the "priorities".

Sorry..I'm better now. Its just that the Strawberry Gold Demo is so much more difficult. I do wish there was a "Berate the Referee in the Media" option.

19. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    With some of the refs from FM05, I was wishing for a "Meet referee in an alleyway and break both his feckin kneecaps" option :D

20. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can also pre-order from www.gogamer.com. This is where I got FM2005 last year -- it's the import of FM, not WWSM, and I got it last year before WWSM showed up anywhere in the states. They say it will ship 10/25, and they offer 2-day FedEx for $5.99. I didn't calculate real carefully, but I think with shipping it is a bit less than if you buy from gameplay.co.uk. I know WWSM is the exact same game, and I understand the desire to let US outlets know there's some demand for it, but to tell the truth I just want it sooner.

21. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América
  22. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that date, do I read an actual date? It does not say ETA, it says release date of 11/3. Gamestop says ETA of 11/1. I think we will have a similar event as last year, trying to figure out when it's coming out...will SI give us a date!

23. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    it's looking like mid december. I can understand trying to be patient for a game, but I'm not going to wait two-three months MORE for my FM ;)

I think I'll probably double-dip, buy the game from gameplay.co.uk when it comes out and then get WWSM for a family member (try to get them addicted) when it eventually comes here

24. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the biggest problem with WWSM and why I'll always get FM. Who wants to wait to get the game and then wait even longer for every round of patches. :rolleyes:

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Because if people don't buy WWSM, it will never be easily available here.