Site Upgrade - Sunday 3/19 8AM EST

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by dark knight, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KUSA77

KUSA77 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The no links at the bottom of the page is my only complaint so far

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is the exact thing I came here to ask.

JeffG, Ismitje, Thezzaruz and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Another need:

The new design relies much more heavily on visual cues than the old one. But in many places the graphics aren't up to the task. Here's an example:

ScreenClip.png

Because the flag icon is identical on every board in this example, the visual cues break down making it harder to navigate. This is an easy fix, presumably.

The MLS board should have the MLS shield.

The USL board, the USL logo.

The USA board, the USSF logo.

And so on, wherever possible..

Ismitje, soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Really? You had to make the women's soccer fora pink? Really?

lil_one, JeffN, Ismitje and 3 others repped this.
  5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I want to add my vote to eliminate the right side User Profile, Trending Threads, and Recent Articles column.

tomek75, fatbastard, bannerman and 3 others repped this.
  6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't like the column on the right. I don't need to see my user ID panel, or the recent articles or trending threads sidebars. It just makes the layout of the page more complicated. Any way of deleting these?

Also, I liked the little menu button that was on the top left of the page that gave us a list of the fora. That was my preferred method for navigating around BS. Any chance of getting something like this?

And so, @soccernutter , if you're still the mod for this forum, you did a great job collating the various wish lists BS users had, and getting answers as to which modifications were going to be possible, for the last major upgrade. We'll be needing your services again...

7. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Yeah, everything seems to work perfectly, so thats great. But if we are doing immediate complaints about the design, the header and right gutter stuff are both too big. I feel like the actual forum posts get lost in comparison.

At least the way it appears now, there's a ton of empty blue space above and below the menu options on the header. It seems like you could shrink the header by about half without doing anything.

Also, If you keep the stuff on the gutter (I'd be just as happy to see them go away), the 'trending threads' part should link to 'first unread', rather than to the first post.

fatbastard and Ismitje repped this.
  8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will profiles be back up or do I have to redo mine?

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Profiles encourage?

Balerion repped this.
  10. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The forum no longer saves a draft of any post you may have been writing in the reply box of the relevant thread. I found that a really useful feature.

The forum has a more "modern" aesthetic now but in terms of features it's a downgrade not an upgrade.

z0mb1e repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    But without 'trending threads' I never would have discovered this one.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Agree that was very useful. BTW, I just saw the ghostly "draft saved" message.

Requires further study (on my part) before I weigh in. By nature I'm resistant to change, so I will try to separate the new/different from the new/worse.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Another suggestion:

Can we make the green online dot more understated?

As it is, it detracts too much from the avatars, impairing the overall visual appearance.

For instance, make the dot smaller. And put it at the bottom of the avatar, not the top.

JayRockers! repped this.
  14. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So true.

15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    #65 Teso Dos Bichos, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Mobile navigation needs a redesign to reduce clutter and increase the content area. This is what I see:

Screenshot_20170319-200056.png

Note the advert that doesn't even fit.

Susaeta repped this.
  16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    OK. How about this:

Put the Trending Threads and Recent Articles below the threads, not on the right side.

--

On my desktop I have two identical monitors. However, the primary monitor is in portrait, and the secondary one in landscape.

If I put BigSoccer on the (tall but narrow) portrait monitor, the Trending Threads and Recent Articles boxes appear below the threads -- and work really well there.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Forum List is hit or miss.

Likewise, I needed to do a full refresh for my draft message to appear.

18. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Is there a way to switch it back to a list view rather than the new grid view (like as a user settable option)?

L.A. Native, Ismitje and blissett repped this.
  19. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    99.9% of users come here to do 2 things:
    - Read posts they care about.
    - Respond to posts they care about.

Every other feature is secondary and/or clutter. To that point:
    - The right column is pure clutter.
    - The secondary menu row should not be pinned, and takes too much space.
    - Where is the pop-in menu with "my forums" that took me directly to content I care about?
    - Saved drafts are missing.

EvanJ, bannerman, Stud83 and 4 others repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Forum List in that secondary menu line.

Val1 repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they should be fixed at the top of the page rather than moving when scrolling down the page.

Also, the "Add Media" thing in the upper right..I don't get it. What is the purpose? Why, when selecting "site a category" does it only have clubs/countries?

Also, the quoted post-text (as above in this post) should have a different background since we have the ability to use italics when typing non-quoted text.

Also, being a bit harsh, the trending post/threads needs to go - waste of space.

Also, seconding Val1 about the Women's forum - huge objection to that. And I'm being polite.

Also, why did the fora get re-ordered? Why did "Soccer cups" get moved to the top of the list? (And it should be "Soccer Cups," the "c" in cups being capitalized.)

Also, under "Notable Members," can you remove BigSoccer (Super Moderator) and BigSoccer Bot (I am not real)?

Like - when viewing the forum list, I like the layout is with double columns.

Like - thank you for keeping the navigation ("Forum List") and the quick navigation.

Gamecock14, sitruc and Knave repped this.
  22. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I really prefer the current iteration of the forum list to the old.

Salvatore Giuseppe repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't understand Media.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This. And I definitely won't quickly get used to that.

And this.

Basically, the new graphic reduced the space for the posts, that are everything actually counting, on any kind of screen (so far I used it only on a browser on my PC and it looks miserable, compared to the previous one).
    I see much less posts (or parts of a single posts) for any screenshot.

I am sorry, I am probably an hopless misoneist, but I don't like it. :( I'd want to have the option to revert to the old version, but it looks like I am a lonely voice in the wind... :unsure:

If this was the "exciting upgrade", sorry but I am very unexcited... :(:(:(
    It looks like a version that wants to optimize the experience for the mobile users, except it leaves PC users out in the cold... :unsure:

Also, if I am not wrong, there is no more difference between "read" and "unread" threads: they both appear in bold. So, basically, if you don't already follow a thread, you don't have a way to immediately tell if something new was posted there. Am I missing something here? :cautious:

Edit: oh, also: the "new" tag on new posts is not enough visible right now: I definitely liked better the grey one, coming out of the frame of the post.

soccernutter repped this.
  25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I initially didn't realize the list continued beyond my watched forums because of the light color of the background, but I agree.

Gamecock14 repped this.