Site Upgrade - Sunday 3/19 8AM EST

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by dark knight, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Here are more details on this. Let's use this image as the example:

ScreenClip.png

As it is right now, if you want to go directly to the unread posts in an unread thread, you actually have to click the little blue dot. (Which is a pain.) The dot, however, is a good visual cue.

But that's not how the links should be. If there are unread posts, the thread for BOTH the blue dot AND the title should include the "/unread" appendix.

Only completely read threads (like the black one above) should link to the first page.

Thezzaruz and Winoman repped this.
  2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Clicking any part of a blue thread name takes me to the first unread post just like it always has. I'm on chrome on a mac, for what is worth.

sitruc repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Now this is odd.

When I posted that note above, I was getting different links for the blue dots and the blue titles. But I double checked the example just now and the behavior is different than it was a few minutes ago. That's on FF and Win 10.

Perhaps this was just recently changed. Or maybe it's just glitchy.

4. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Probably already mentioned but would be nice if new posts were better identified than just "new" in light green text on the far right.

blissett repped this.
  5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    OK - I think I figured out what's going on with the unread links.

1. If BigSoccer has no record of you reading a thread, then it omits the /unread appendix from the link.

2. If BigSoccer has a record of you reading a thread, it adds the /unread appendix.

3. However, it appears that some reading history has been lost during the upgrade.

Hence, if I look at old threads that I know I've read, but have not looked at since the upgrade, the /unread appendix is missing. But if I am reading threads I have looked at since the upgrade, the /unread link works as it should.

So I'm racking this up to an upgrade glitch, which should correct itself over time.

soccernutter repped this.
  6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate the new logo and tab icon.

fatbastard repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tools menu on posts doesn't close when I select to edit a post.

I'm on an iphone using Safari.

Attached Files:

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was at least 2-3 "generations" ago. I want to say pre-2008.

blissett and sitruc repped this.
  9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So, let's look at this sub-forum listing:

ScreenClip.png

Compare that to this older style listing:

ScreenClip.png

In the old style, visual cues told you right away if there were new threads or new replies. In the case above, there were none, so it was kind of grayed out.

But in the new style, there are no such visual cues. There's no highlighting of active boards or dimming of inactive ones. You just have the date and time of the most recent post -- and no information of what thread that post belongs to.

Active boards should be highlighted. (Or have some other good visual cue.)

Inactive boards should be dimmed. (Or have some other good visual cue.)

The title of the most recently active thread should appear alongside the date and time of the most recent post.

JasonMa, mjlee22, nsa and 10 others repped this.
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hear, hear! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was waiting a couple of days for the non-weekenders to jump in. I'll have a list in a new thread tomorrow (later today).

blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd want to say pre-2001! :p

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Great work all the way through this thread - thank you!

14. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me guess. This is to make the site work better for those on mobile devices.

On a desktop, it's just hideous.

Important (for me) question: how do I make the "Recent Articles" and "Trending Threads" boxes on the right hand side of the screen go away? What configuration option does that?

Was gone for the weekend. Sorry if that question's already been answered pages back.

gusgorman and blissett repped this.
  15. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    For right now you can't. Somebody mentioned that it may be an option down the line.

For now there are two 'work arounds'. If you shrink you browser width by a bit, it'll push them to the bottom of the page instead, and the posts will take up the full width of the resized browser. OR, if you go to preferences and uncheck 'sticky sidebar' (uncheck 'sticky header' while you're there to get rid of it too), it will no longer scroll with you, which is a minor improvement in my eyes. It is a bit buggy though, and will scroll with you if you enter a thread via a link to a specific post.

Bootsy Collins repped this.
  16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It has - the complaint has been registered and it's being looked into. Not yet available to remove.

NorthBank and Bootsy Collins repped this.
  17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, is that what does it, I was gonna say it was random whether it worked or not :)

18. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know if this has been said, but in My Forums, you can't tell which ones have unread messages. They're all in bold, and there's no marker.

Winoman, blissett and sitruc repped this.
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the breadcrumb trail is only at the top, no longer at the bottom of a thread. Usually if I'm reading the last post in a thread, I want to click back to the forum, and it's a pain now to scroll all the way up to the top again. Sometimes the magic green button is visible and I can catch it, but a lot of the time it disappears just as I'm ready to click.

20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was just about to post that. I agree the forum hierarchy needs to be at the bottom as well. Probably moreso as people are reading from top to bottom.

We also need a dark mode for night reading.

james

Thezzaruz repped this.
  21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Huss saying after one of the more recent upgrades that putting it at the bottom was difficult. I'm not sure how, but people probably think what I do is way easier than it acually is as well :)
    They eventually got it to us so I feel confident it'll be back again one day soon.

Bootsy Collins repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multiple posters have this concern

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All - compiling list of concerns. Will separate out mobile, non-mobile, and positives. Give me about an hour (the list is longer than I thought) and I'll start a new thread.

But keep the concerns coming - this thread will stay open until I start the new one, and I will link the new one from here.

nsa, blissett, Val1 and 1 other person repped this.
  24. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Good news is that if you check Enable Sticky Navigation, the big blue bar at the top will remain there and not follow when scrolling. That's good to know. By doing this, I can stretch my page from top to bottom, giving me just the forum with the sidebar being pushed to the bottom. If I extend the page from left to right, the sidebar will return. It's not ideal, but it's better this way than in full screen mode.

upload_2017-3-21_10-8-10.png

soccernutter repped this.
  25. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Here's the difference with the sidebar after just extending the browser a few centimeters to the right. As you can see, it's much more narrow of a posting area.

upload_2017-3-21_10-9-21.png

sitruc repped this.