Site upgrade of 2017, part II - All is Not Lost

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by soccernutter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The problem with a dedicated app as in opposition to a mobile-specific page is that sometimes you need to borrow a phone or tablet to check (for example, last time when the NT squad was released, I came here to see who was in it, and the tablet was in my office busy in its secondary role as sec-cam).

When a page has a mobile page, you're redirected immediately to it, even if using a friend's phone. No need to install the app.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I hate that the Alerts popup is working again.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first was the major issue prior to the alerts issue, and now moves back to the top spot.

I would adjust that list, slightly, like this:
    1 - Navigation links at the bottom of the page
    2 - After looking at my quoted post, the text needs to be darker for readability purposes
    3 - Details of unread threads in subforums (see post 234 in the previous thread - there is a visual)
    3a - Verify if this relates to Watched Forums
    4 - Reduce padding everywhere for flow (between posts, in sigs, deleted posts, reps).

1, 2, and 3 gets pretty regular comments.

And thanks for the fix. :)

blissett repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Really? o_O

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    No.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So, I'm not sure the bottom nav is our highest priority - especially when most computers have a home button :)

I think it's weird we have my threads and then below have watched threads and watched forums. Is there a reason we should have it twice? Just wondering if in some views you might have one and not the other.

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Within conversations the second tier isn't visible so I think we should just have my threads and my forums and remove the other two probably.

I'll see about the bottom nav and the font issues too.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  8. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I have no idea what this sentence is supposed to mean. Are you saying that you want your site to be as difficult as possible?

9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Of course that's what I'm saying. I'm saying I'm not sure I'd put that at #1, but apparently ymmv.

10. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Other than the alerts, that's been the #1 complaint received here that still hasn't been rectified, and if your end users' #1 complaint isn't your #1 priority, then why bother fixing anything?

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm not sure I can win this debate so I'm going to politely withdraw from it.

The bottom nav is on the list of things to be fixed.

fatbastard repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The people have spoken...what do you think should be #1?

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm just trying to identify things that can be done relatively quickly that are causing the most pain. I'm not sure that the bottom nav meets both those criteria but like I mentioned above, I've already asked the question if it can be done easily so the debate about what I think is now irrelevant.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re "#1 Navigation LInks at the bottom of the page"...

If that includes fixing the green arrows to be more useful (see my previous idea about triggering those arrows by hovering rather than scrolling) then I'd say it's my #1 annoyance.

And if this topic also includes the "breadcrumbs" that has often been mentioned and pined for, then I would bet that many others would put it at #1 as well.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't it been this way for years, well before the most recent upgrade?

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Did it have both twice right on top of each other? I can't remember yesterday much less what it looked like before. I think just once as long as it's on every page is sufficient?

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    To be honest, I'm not sure the green arrow thing is all that useful? Maybe it should just be disabled.

fatbastard repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be imposing your view on everyone else? I recall several people like me who liked the idea, if they could just improve how you bring up the arrows. The main complaint I heard about it was on a small screen like a phone, it took up too much real estate.

In the end I'm not wedded to green arrows, but I do think there should be a single-click way of getting from the bottom of a page to the very top, where the Menus are. That's what I use the green arrows for. It's an express train.

riverplate and soccernutter repped this.
  19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So when I use a question mark, that means I'm asking a question :) I personally never use the bottom nav because it's easy to get to the top of the page via "home" key on a keyboard or by tapping the top of browser on mobile. But it sounds like you are saying that if there is a bottom nav, the arrow may not be needed?

I'll see if it can be improved on by a) making easier to summon on desktop and b) reducing the real estate on mobile.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Quoted text has been tweaked - I think it's a little easier to read now.

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, it's been like this forever, at least since I am here. So I don't have any urge to have it changed, maybe I even don't mind if it remains: I guess there are people who are used to click "My threads" and others clicking "Watched threads": what's the point in making one of these categories change their habits, as long as both links work perfectly well?

All this to say that: 1) the "duplication" of the links for threads it's not an issue created by the last update; 2) I am not even persuaded it's a real "issue"; 3) even if it is, it's about #147 in my priority list.

Want to know about my #1?

In particular, I quote the above-mentioned post 234 of the old thread (that's been repped by 12 people):

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Really? I hardly noticed it. :cautious: Maybe it can be made even darker. (Come on, you're Dark Knight, aren't you? :p)

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Rather than referencing the other post, I'm bringing it back here. So I guess "mark forums read" know does nothing eh? I suspect this one is a little more longer term but I'll ask what we can do.

24. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I would like it if there were at least an option to turn them off.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Bingo. Keep it simple.
    Perhaps we should just emulate the system from the previous design, as I detailed in the post you quoted. It wasn't broke. It worked. Why not just implement those cues again: dim inactive boards/threads, highlight active ones, show most recent thread titles and other details.