Site upgrade of 2017, part II - All is Not Lost

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by soccernutter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, in my case, a forum which doesn't have a huge amount of traffic, but has updates to several different threads.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must have missed it. I know that Dr. Wankler posted it.

blissett repped this.
  3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Leave the font alone. The old font was awful! Don't "fix" things that aren't a problem.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, opionions differ here... I wonder if making the user choose which font he does views with a sort of preference-setting would be too much difficult to implement (but most probably it is).

I have the impression that, unlike other easy "issue > fix" problems, this is going to be a quite divisive subject.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So, @dark knight, @Andy R & @Janet H, I am an extremely unhappy camper because of this video business.

You want to keep it, fine. But you need to provide a way to hide it. Permanently.

Having atop a board is, to me, completely obnoxious. What set me off on this now?

This: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/sacramento-republic-fc.1551/

That's useless crap to my eye. It's a diversion from BigSoccer's purpose, which has always been and remains discussion. This is not a video sharing site..

The only use that video has on BigSoccer is within discussion threads. Pulling videos outside of those threads and putting them atop the boards is gimmicky and unwelcome.

JasonMa and Teso Dos Bichos repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Agreed about the videos, they just add to the clutter. I can understand if other people like them. But I'd prefer an option to hide them.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the top menu, didn't My Threads used to be the furthest right option? I click that A LOT and if it's hanging out on the far right it seems easier to find quickly. Currently My Forums occupies that position, and I would suspect that gets a lot less hits than My Threads does. Maybe others want to weigh in on this?

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The current arrangement is the exact same arrangement as the previous design, which worked well for many, many years.

ScreenClip.png

I say keep it exactly as it is right now.

blissett and Winoman repped this.
  9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Mobile

• Green arrows pointing up and down (“a bit in the way”) – My understanding is that this one may take some time – but I also think the consensus is that this can be useful just needs to be toned down so it takes up less real estate.
    • “Tools” menu does not close when editing a post – iPhone and Safari. This is still a problem for me.
    • “Can't tell if I'm on page 1 or 2 since the green looks like a link I need to click”. I don’t understand this one – splain?
    • Notifications on left and right not sinc-ed up. Also not sure what this one is – still an issue?
    • Option for dark background. Probably a work in progress.
    • Header is larger (“takes up at least a quarter of the page”) Has this been fixed? Mine doesn’t take up a quarter.
    • Navigation needs redesign to reduce clutter/increase content area. (and the advert doesn’t fit.) Still an issue? (Ad fits for me)
    Desktop/laptop

• Videos at top of page are taking up too much real estate. Move elsewhere? TBD
    • Trending threads: The jumping nature of trending threads greatly reduce it’s usefulness. Move the trending threads below the threads (note – or above, perhaps in some grid manner)? TBD
    • In forum view, need highlights on forums that have new posts – or other cues to new content. Work in progress.
    • When writing a post, it no longer saves as a draft. TBD
    • “Soccer cups” should be renamed and probably reorganized. Thoughts?
    • No option to mark all threads as being read. TBD
    • Sig text is too light and needs to be limited in length and size. Too much padding
    • Not able to see new posts in forums and subforums without going into those locations. TBD
    • Option darker background/night mode/other colors (possibility after higher priority issues taken care of). TBD
    • The green navigation arrows on the right need to be easier to access and not require scrolling. TBD
    • Ability to list a second club under avatar. TBD
    • Improved separation of quoted material. (a blue bar on the side was added after multiple concerns were brought up, but the text is also an issue and is still too light) Text has been darkened – is there still an issue here?
    • Navigation links at the top of each page should be fixed/pinned, not movable. Is this still a problem?Header too large, too much wasted space (work in progress to reduce) Still an issue?
    • Secondary menu on header should not be pinned. Still an issue?
    • Will profiles be back up (note – I’m not sure what this means as my profile hasn’t change) Clarification?
    • A user option to switch between grid and list views. Not sure what this means.
    • Pop-in menu missing (note – can be found using “Forum Lists” or the quick navigation tree on the unpinned menu at the top of each page) I don’t understand this one – still an issue?
    • The “new” in a new post is not visible enough. (note – perhaps it could be placed under the post number, and made darker) Is this still an issue?Double sticked threads at the top of the page need to be rethought due to the nature of PC screens. What does this mean? Remove the separation?
    • When hovering over a place for a drop down menu, the menu does not become hidden again after moving the mouse. Fixed?
    • “like post” box is too large. Fixed?Size of the reply box should align with post in thread above. Splain?Ability to not show yourself as being on line (as opposed to showing it to others). This is in privacy settings no?
    • Too much padding between posts (interrupts flow) Still an issue?
    • “Recent Articles” is only threads (should be threads where the first post is an article). Is this an issue?
    • DELETED post boxes are too big. Do users see this?
    • Remove sans serif font. ??
    • Ability to toggle width works, but disable the ability to stick the Profile/Articles/Treading area on same page, but works on next page. Translation?
    • “Jump to most recent post” button has been “squeezed.” (Not sure where this is as I don’t use it) Translation?
    • The Boss Button – did it ever work, and will it work now? Is there a boss button? Where? (It did use to work.)

soccernutter repped this.
  10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So I went through and put the ones that I know are still an issue at the top of the list, and questions for the ones I wasn't sure about next. Let me know if I can delete any that I was unsure about.

11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that works, at least there is a button to click that says it will 'Mark All Forums as Read.'

See attached pdf. (I can't get print screen to work, or the pdf to embed. :oops:)

Attached Files:

dark knight repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Can we ever expect the return of multi-quote?

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think that was vbulletin feature?

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I'm not doing anything else tonight...my replies in red.

Desktop/laptop

• Videos at top of page are taking up too much real estate. Move elsewhere? TBD
    Also, when the videos are played, they become very large. Can the size please be reduced to standard size (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
    • In forum view, need highlights on forums that have new posts – or other cues to new content. Work in progress.
    I would like to make sure that this is also the case for followed forums as well, please.
    • When writing a post, it no longer saves as a draft. TBD
    I think this is no longer an issue. I've not had a problem since first reported in a number of different ways (multiple tabs open; closed and reopened browser; deleted info in reply box before replying, but still had text saved, etc.)
    • “Soccer cups” should be renamed and probably reorganized. Thoughts?
    Sorry, meant to get to this, but it fell by the wayside...
    Renamed "Tournaments" or "International Competitions"
    I would also say move it down between Rest of the World and Women. And the reason I say there is because the Women's forum should be kept somewhat separate to prevent the sexist posting, which inevitably occurs, to a minimum.

• Sig text is too light and needs to be limited in length and size. Too much padding
    Agreed.
    • Not able to see new posts in forums and subforums without going into those locations. TBD
    IMO, I think this should be one of the primary issues to be resolved.
    • Improved separation of quoted material. (a blue bar on the side was added after multiple concerns were brought up, but the text is also an issue and is still too light) Text has been darkened – is there still an issue here?
    I'm seeing it better. Speaking for myself...
    • Navigation links at the top of each page should be fixed/pinned, not movable. Is this still a problem?
    The navigation link at the bottom made this less of an issue. If anybody else wants to chime in...
    • Header too large, too much wasted space (work in progress to reduce) Still an issue?
    Nope..Thanks for the fix.
    • Secondary menu on header should not be pinned. Still an issue?
    Nope..Thanks for the fix.
    • A user option to switch between grid and list views. Not sure what this means.
    In the past, BS presented subforums (whether on the home forum page - https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/ - or on a more specific forum - https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/mls-clubs.197/ ) in list view, kind of bullet point-like. With the upgrade, it switched to a grid format. It is possible to be able to toggle between list view or grid view? See this post as a visual comparison: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/site-upgrade-sunday-3-19-8am-est.2039590/page-9#post-35257864
    • Pop-in menu missing (note – can be found using “Forum Lists” or the quick navigation tree on the unpinned menu at the top of each page) I don’t understand this one – still an issue?
    In the previous upgrade a few years ago, there was small button/icon (at both the top and bottom of the page, which provided a pop-in navigation "box" which was similar to what we now have as either the "Forum List" (on the left) or the "Open quick navigation" tree symbol in the top center-right next to Post New Thread. It would be nice to have the "Open quick navigation" tree symbol at the bottom of the every page as well. Apart from putting this tree symbol at the bottom, the issue seems to be resolved.
    • The “new” in a new post is not visible enough. (note – perhaps it could be placed under the post number, and made darker) Is this still an issue?
    Yes. Though not as noticeable as adjustments to the upgrade have been made.
    • Double sticked threads at the top of the page need to be rethought due to the nature of PC screens. What does this mean? Remove the separation?
    Yes, remove the separation. The red bar on the side of the stickies was a nice addition, though. Thanks.
    • “like post” box is too large. Fixed?
    Seems to be fixed...Thanks.
    • Size of the reply box should align with post in thread above. Splain?
    Per @Knave
    [​IMG]

• Ability to not show yourself as being on line (as opposed to showing it to others). This is in privacy settings no?
    Nope. If you look at your avatar, you will ALWAYS see that green dot showing, no matter what settings you choose. This makes is difficult for a user to verify if they are correctly being shown as not online. Also, it is redundant, because if you are looking at your avatar, I'm assuming you are not using a sock, and therefor you know that you are online.
    • Too much padding between posts (interrupts flow) Still an issue?
    Flow seems better, but I think that is because I'm used to reading it now. Still too much padding in sigs + between posts, which does interrupt the flow. Eliminate one and it probably make the other less of an issue.
    • DELETED post boxes are too big. Do users see this?
    I would think so since it is based on self-deleted posts, not mod deleted posts. Don't really know, though.
    • Remove sans serif font. ??
    Current font is "sans serif." It should be "with serif" for better reading. (One with knowledge and experience in this area, @Dr. Wankler mentioned this.)
    • Ability to toggle width works, but disable the ability to stick the Profile/Articles/Treading area on same page, but works on next page. Translation?
    Lost. :)

I was repeating what was said, but no longer seems to be an issue now that we can hide the Profile/Articles/Trending column.

And I still want to voice my concern for the videos which might be in appropriate as being too easy to access/view in the current set-up.

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't have the time to go through all of the list, this time, but mostly agree with everything @soccernutter said. :thumbsup:

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has always worked, and still works. For me anyway. I just clicked "Quote" on both of your posts, et voila. Perhaps the XenForo method is limited to the multi-quoting from the same page whereas vBulletin might've allowed multi-quoting across pages? In any case, the way it is now doesn't seem to be a big problem.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You truly are a BigSoccer geek!! :) Thanks for that! You can take credit in helping get many of the annoying things fixed in the last week or two.

blissett and soccernutter repped this.
  18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the response time is rather quick. :)

Thanks for the addition/fix.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I know how to put multiple quotes in a post. The past iteration of BS didn't shift focus from reading posts when using the multi-quote feature.

fatbastard repped this.
  20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    #245 Teso Dos Bichos, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Can the green arrows, if not changed to an optional feature, be made transparent so you can see the content behind them? I don't mind them in theory but as they appear when scrolling they obstruct the content you are trying to read.

Tools menu does not automatically close on Android too.

I equally do not understand the page number issue as the page you are on is highlighted in green and underlined. Seems pretty clear.

The notification issue is you can dismiss/read alerts on the right side but they will still appear on the left side.

If you look at the thumbnails I posted in #121 you can see the various issues regarding layout, advert size and content on mobile. The adverts now fit onto the screen instead of being too long horizontally but the downside is the square adverts take up far too much vertical room on the screen. You have switched from thin horizontal, rectangles to large squares.

soccernutter and dark knight repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the Alert hover broken again? For me it's not working right now. 2 different browsers.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IE and Edge don't count. :p

I got a 522 message around the time of your post, so I'm assuming there was some issue. But I'm getting getting the alert drop down. Over the past few days I've had momentary 502 or 520 or 522 messages.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they linked to what they said, that would make them useful. At the moment, they really only point to that same thread which they tagged.

25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States