Simulating the Hex

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dlokteff, Oct 18, 2016.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm enjoying the conversation - very simulating - but this is soccer. Everyone here (who has played the game at any level, really) has

1) Beaten a team you had no business beating; AND

2) Lost to a team you should 'never' have lost to; WITH

3) Draws in both categories above.

This shambolic version of T&T just led Mexico 1-0 late, were tied 1-1 after 87 minutes, before giving up two late goals. In Mexico, against a good (if not fully motivated) team.

I think we'll win - we definite should win - but there's a substantial chance we won't win.

Mahtzo1, deuteronomy and Winoman repped this.
  2. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Good point. But maybe it cuts both ways? They certainly will remember that.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I hope so. I think we will take care of business in T&T tomorrow and I'd like to see Panama take 4th place.

4. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Away in CONCACAF just doesn't seem to bend to the numbers easily. T&T looked pretty respectable in its last game to me. I think the idea that T&T has only an 11 or 12 percent chance of winning is pretty far off. I guess I should put some money on them now that I think about it.

5. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I would like that too, but I won't be able to root for Panama until the US is up 3 goals.

6. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Having seen the pictures from Trinidad's field, I am sticking with my assessment: ELO has no meaning in this match.

7. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Costa Rica has some shot at moving into Pot 2 with a win (and some other results going their way)

8. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    This should motivate them on paper, but do you think it's just too attenuated to have much real effect?

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If attenuated means "eleven guys playing like ten," then yes.

At home, Panama will play with twelve.

deuteronomy repped this.
  10. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #210 Footsatt, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Mexico has secured pot 2, and I dont think they can make pot 1.

I am unsure on CR...

According to wiki CR can still be 2 or 3. So they have something to play for.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_seeding

Looking deeper into Mexico... they are currently ranked 14th with 1085 points.

These are the teams above them:
    Russia
    Germany
    Brazil
    Portugal - Not qualified (depending on their last match they will qualify directly or make the playoff)
    Argentina - Not qualified (one of 5 fighting for 2.5 spots)
    Belgium
    Poland
    Switzerland - Not qualified (same as Portugal, one of Switz or Portugal go to the playoff)
    France - Not qualified (depending on their last match they will qualify directly or make the playoff)
    Chile - Not qualified (one of 5 fighting for 2.5 spots)
    Colombia - Not qualified (one of 5 fighting for 2.5 spots)
    Spain
    Peru - Not qualified 1103 (one of 5 fighting for 2.5 spots)
    Wales - eliminated
    MEX - 1085

Maybe MEX can make it if other teams above them don't qualify, but I am unsure on the odds of this happening.

chad and deuteronomy repped this.
  11. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    It is true that historically, away points are more difficult to get in these games.

For the previous Hex's (150 matches), the home advantage has been worth roughly 168 Elo points (as opposed to 100 in the standard Elo formula). However I've already baked that in here, because my Poisson model for goals scored is based on those 150 matches.

We got this...on my computer.

12. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Australia's victory has dropped our chances to qualify by 0.20%, as we beat them just 61.8% of the time vs. the 67.6% for the hybridized opponent I was using.

Well, it's actually worse. Since the only (in practice) way we can finish 4th is with a loss to T&T, that would crush our Elo pretty good. A one goal loss takes 33 off our Elo. That puts us at 1728 while Australia is at 1703. At that point it's about 55.7% for us to win and drops the overall qualify % by 0.40%

deuteronomy and Dr. Gamera repped this.
  13. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    The US is going to have to do this on its own, and on a muddy track. Bruce needs to start all mudders tonight.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  14. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Yeah, I did some googling around and Mexico is pretty much locked into pot 2. CR still has some chance of making Pot 2 with a win and some help.

15. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    I have no idea how much of an effect that it might have. I suspect it depends partially on how much emphasis the coach puts on it. It isn't true though that they have nothing to play for. Something is better than nothing.

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They'll play with no pressure but they are also down nearly all their most experienced players. No K. Jones, Cato, or Molino (yellow card accumulation). The US is taking all their top guys. Gritty, focused guys used to the pressure. That difference is huge. These guys will just want it more.

17. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I really hope this is one of those wisdom of the crowd things and you guys are right. With the field conditions, the newbie ref, the pressure cooker of last Friday, and the other teams having much easier situations, I just can't get comfortable. I really believe that it's about 1 in 6 the US is out altogether.

nowherenova and swedust repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    No USMNT fan can be comfortable, with qualification not yet assured, so we talk about percentages to make ourselves feel better.

19. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Really wish I hadn't been so right.

20. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey @Reccossu Hope you made some money.

Fuccckkkk my computer and my fucccccking Statistics degree. I'm going into the wine business. Oh shit the entirely of Napa and Sonoma is on fire. Godamn this godamn shit.

21. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, I can't believe that a horrible, devastating event that seemed so statistically unlikely that it was nearly impossible actually happened despite the long odds. What an unmitigated unredeeming tragedy for all involved.

But enough bitching about the 2016 election. Now I'm going to go watch the US play T&T on my DVR, I'm sure that'll lift my spirits.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    This whole cycle had the quality of watching a train wreck in slow motion.

deuteronomy repped this.
  23. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    LOL!!! :ROFLMAO: I said to my wife and son this morning how I really felt this morning like how I felt the day after the election -- how could this possibly have happened? Did this really just happen? This wasn't supposed to happen! Inconceivable! :eek:

y-lee-coyote, deuteronomy and um_chili repped this.
  24. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Best thread of the entire Concacaf WC campaign, thank you so much for all your knowledge, I really enjoyed how you tracked the campaing using your stats and how everything failed at the very end and the less probable scenario showed up, as I'm panamanian... Anyways you did an amazing job updating the chances of all the teams.

Regards from Panama.

deuteronomy repped this.