Silverdome reno thread

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by MLS1FAN, Mar 1, 2012.

1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I meant, f'gal, is that for this thing to work, all parties need to band together: Ultimate, Silverdome, Colleges, the Bucks (who may still build their own 5k pro stadium), fan groups, elite youth groups (Vardar, Wolves-Hawks, etc.), .... Any divisions will end up deep-sixing the whole sh'bang. I was kind of hoping that everyone was tacitly open to a meeting-of-the-minds. If the Ultimate crew do see a Silverdome setup as a competitor (bringing in their own MLS Detroit Academy youth system, etc.) then I have some worries.

Maybe it's time that I take off these rosey-glasses. Let this whole thing settle and check back at the Bucks college matches (March 24 http://www.buckssoccer.com/calendar/121908.html?d=03/24/2012 ; March 31 http://www.buckssoccer.com/calendar/121909.html?d=03/31/2012 )

I was just trying to analyze (but, hopefully not over-analyze) the newspaper articles.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's sort of strange that the taxable value would increase during renovations, because that doesn't happen anywhere else in the US, unless it's phased development, and then it only increase when a phase completes and and assessed. But to do their "plan" it can only be phased by constructing the field level (HAHAHAHAHAHA) and then completing unfinished work below that level. Of course, that would make that work an order or two of magnitude more difficult to complete

Holy ********ing Shit, an Ian McCracken sighting. I have to go tell all the liberals in Politics that you're still alive.

That's been my complaint since the first rumblings of this plan. The stated construction cost far too low to accomplish what they're talking about doing, if it can even be done.

That probably is cheap compared to the expense of deflating and inflating for every event they have in it.

I expect the current plan to be abandoned eventually when the real costs become apparent.

Of that scale, yes. And he's not a billionaire. Also, the big deal is since he's a private owner, he actually has to pay taxes. A municipal/state stadium authority doesn't, which is why most Owner choose not to own. The property tax increase from a relatively cheap property like this to 200+ million is staggering.

Arrogance.

Trust me, it doesn't have any field drainage and any elevated field would need that massive and costly infrastructure installed. Also, there would need to be similar drainage and weatherization improvements for the actual seating decks that were going to now be exposed to weather.

Well, it's going to have to happen at some point, but right now, the main concern is getting a structure designed that capable of holding up the field and infrastructure, addressing the huge gap between the lowest seats of the upper deck and the side lines, accommodate the sight line changes from elevating the field, and making all that have enough space to accommodate the functions of the spaces below.

Your concern doesn't mean that he isn't stupid or isn't being poorly advised on the decisions he makes.
    Good, he's going to need a significant amount of that in liquid assets to construct this plan. Substantially less, if he were to simply use a more cost effective means of design/construction.
    As a businesswoman, there comes a point when the scale/scope of "fixing things" far outstrips the value in simply starting new, adjacent to your existing dump of a building.
    So why should he get a "deal" that basically robs the city/county/school district of the revenue they need to operate to maintain the infrastructure & public services that serve his facility? These deals used to happen all the time and they were always very bad news for the cities that made them. The "sales tax" impact never makes up for the loss and schools don't typically get sales tax, only property taxes, so the people that would most use a facility, then to live somewhere else, thus lessening the amount of use they give such a facility.
    The majority of the jobs would be construction and very temporary, with most of the workers being imported to the area and/or leaving when the project is complete. The hundred or so permanent jobs would never justify the lost property tax revenue. Also most of the money paid to the builder and the designers will never even be spent in this area.
    He's asking the city to subsidize his future tax bill, increasing his profit.
    I think you're misconstruing the beliefs of people that he has the money to do the plan he is pimping.
    Insignificant costs in the grand scheme of things.
    You seem to get really angry when people who design buildings for a living and do cost estimating for said buildings question the vaporware being offered. Especially the structural feasibility and cost. So far, what's been offered is far from the "whole story".

kenntomasch repped this.
  3. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just tear the thing down and build a stadium in the parking lot

seriously people

4. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like your idea too brodie

5. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In some ways Montreal has an ideal situation. The Stade Olympic is there for big events and Stade Saputo for regular league play. The two stadiums are right next to each other. If we had a 10K seater (with provisions for expansion to 20K in case of MLS ever coming to pass) next to the Silverdome, that would be great.

Just musing on this, can't see it happening.

6. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is definitely enough space for it. But no, it just isn't going to happen.

7. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chances are if we got a MLS team and there was a big soccer event (like one of the friendlies between two European teams, they would opt to move it to Ford Field.

Maybe, instead of the multipurpose arena they can build a addendum to the soccer stadium instead (Think CNN and Philips Arena in Atlanta). There could be a concourse that connects the soccer stadium to the indoor arena/concert hall. This would require the Dome to be completely torn down, but there would still be tons of space to have two sister buildings connected to one another.

8. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I said that exact thing 6 MONTHS AGO in the other Silverdome thread.

I'm simply stunned that Apostolopoulos STILL thinks renovating the Silverdome into this "Triple Arena" is his best option. From a financial standpoint, it CLEARLY isn't.

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it a couple of dozen times in various threads. No one listens.

12. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New contest for Pontiac Silverdome reuse ideas
    By JC Reindl, Detroit Free Press
    12:47 a.m. EST February 18, 2015
    http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2015/02/18/silverdome-design-contest/23592549/

Replacing the Pontiac Silverdome starts with a contest for designs for a new development
    By Stephen Frye, The Oakland Press
    Posted: 02/17/15, 12:24 PM EST
    http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gene...h-a-contest-for-designs-for-a-new-development

Silverdome International Design Competition
    http://www.1200featherstone.com/

16. Bradford 10

Bradford 10 Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not so much speculators as hucksters

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Everyone knew this was the end-story. The only wonder is that it took 6 years to happen.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, many did not, though it was obvious.

22. (They call him) RMc

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    With the official death of the Silverdome, the Detroit Lions have never won a playoff game in a building that still exists. (They have won a total of seven: three at Tiger Stadium, one at the Dome, one at the old U-D stadium, one at Cleveland Municipal Stadium and one at Candlestick Park [which was taken down last September].)