Silly Season 2017-2018 (rumors)

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Gunner, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Falcao+to+atlanta+united&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

So there are multiple stories out there that indicate Atlanta may be in on Radamel Falcao. Juicy certainly but I have to admit that my initial reaction was no way! it doesn't seem to fit the model of buying young and selling on for future return. The traditional "big name" MLS model to fill seats and sell shirts hasn't appeared to be a need so far in Atlanta.

Then I got to thinking. Falcao is a traditional striker. Have we received significant interest in Martinez? If we were to hypothetically move Josef in the summer transfer window what would that mean to our trophy pursuits? Is the squad comfortable with Romario or Villalba pulling full time duty as our #9? Is there a fear within the club on how selling a golden boot candidate would look to the people that have supported them so well?

I think this rumor is a bit more plausible than I initially thought. Grab big profit on Martinez, bring in a name to placate fans and maintain quality on the pitch, and then go get the next youngster in the next 18 months.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falcao is all used up, in my opinion.

Besides if we have money to get Falcao, we have money to get Lautaro Martinez.

3. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In the Colombian press I have heard rumors about Radamel Falcao García being offered a good salary (4 Million per year) to come to MLS, specifically Atlanta.

Have you heard anything about it? .. I can post some links (in spanish) But I don't know if it is frowned upon.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Garza underwent shoulder surgery and is now doubtful to return this season. Sorry for the guy but the reality is AU can't view him as a starter anymore. Alas.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks about Garza... extremely injury prone player.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d move Barco to his spot and start Villalba up top with Martinez.

——-Tito—Josef———
    ———Miggy—————
    Barco—————Gressel
    ——Nagbe—Jeff———-
    —LGP—Parky—Miles—-
    ————Guzan—————

Bench: Kann, Escobar, McCann, Kratz, Carleton, Romario, Vasquez

Normal Subs:
    1. Kratz
    2. Romario/Vasquez
    3. Carleton or Escobar/McCann

In reserve: Hildebrandt, Goslin, Hernandez, Zizzo, Gallagher

7. Guardien

Guardien Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Alpharetta, Georgia
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    I don't want Barco to have any of the defensive responsibilities this move would require. We already have a very good replacement for Garza in McCann; no need to move anyone else around or of position.

Unfortunately, for the game tomorrow we're going to have to do some additional juggling, because LGP will be missing as well. I assume Tata puts Escobar in there, but a back three containing both Robinson and Escobar makes me a little nervous. I might prefer Ambrose in the wingback role, and have McCann play CB.

8. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA

Been awhile since we've had a juicy rumor. Apparently we're now in on a young Argie DM.

Ivan Rossi, 24. Plays for River Plate

9. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    latest from AUFC twitter is that we've signed a cat named Eric Remedi. Argie. 23. DMid destroyer type with CD fill-in skills. $2M

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Seeing news that Josef has received his green card and now no longer holding an international roster spot.

Full marks to the AUFC legal team in being so proactive in helping our boys get compliant and working the bylaws to our benefit.

This now allows us to bring in Nagbe's pending replacement without having to make a corresponding roster move due to international player limits being exceeded.

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good news, but if I'm being honest I don't know where the guy would fit on the roster except as a sub. Do we really want to sit one of Gressel, Tito, or Barco?

12. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I think he allows us to rest Larry and will eventually replace Larry, probably next year.