Sidney Friede at SV Wehen Wiesbaden

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Tom Collingsworth, Jan 2, 2016.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Damn, 7 goals already? He has the most out of all our young yanks in the U-19 Bundesliga.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Transfermarkt, Friede has six goals and seven assists in 10 games in the U19 Bundesliga. (For whatever reason, the site credits him with one goal against St. Pauli and not two, as @ChuckMe92's source does.)

He's also made four appearances with Hertha II, mostly early in the year before the U19 league started up. He did make one more appearance in late October when Hertha U19 had the week off.

4. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Holy shit.. That is a very high total. Can somebody get this guy into camp?! Please!

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Friede trocken aus spitzem Winkel!

Damn straight.

8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ist das nicht ein Spitzen winkel? Ja, das ist ein Spitzen winkel!

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now with 8 goals and 9 assists in 16 U19 games this season. He's also made five appearances for the reserve team.

11. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this guy considered a big time prospect? Those are Pulisic-esque numbers.

12. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Another player Tab probably hasn't even called for a chat. What a joke he is.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness Friede has been playing for German youth teams in friendlies so he may not be interested.

He's also a guy we are not 100% sure is American. Hopefully Rongen, in his new role, is on the case.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I expect him to play in friendlies for the German youth sides. If they're calling him up, he would be a fool not to accept, especially if the US hasn't reached out. Just because he plays in those, doesn't mean he isn't interested in the US.

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

I'm just saying that we don't know if the USSF has had conversations with him, we don't know his level of interest in the US, and we don't know if he's even eligible to play for the US.

I'd also suggest that there isn't a shortage of things to unload on Tab Ramos about - I can't get outraged about this case when doing so requires one to make a lot of assumptions that are as yet unsupported by any evidence.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rahbiefowlah and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gacm32 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't be so upset. I think this is actually good news.

The fact that he's playing games for Germany should tell us that he's viewed pretty highly. Almost all of the youth players that play for Germany aren't actually good enough to be regulars for their National Team, so there's a good chance we can eventually get this guy to switch. And considering that Friede isn't really on the radar as a big name in Germany yet, I'd say there's a very good chance that unless he starts developing really well over the next few years that he will eventually be playing for us. He could always turn into a Fabian Hurzeler type, but the way this guy is trending, I doubt it.

Tom Collingsworth and BostonRed repped this.
  19. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #45 Tom Collingsworth, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    I agree with most of your statement. The reality is Friede probably won't ever be good enough for Germany's senior national team, heck he may never be good enough for the US senior national team either. With that said, I was still holding on to the slim hope that Friede would be called in for the U-20 World Cup, however his involvement with the German U-19's in an official competition eliminates that possibility. Admittedly odds were quite small that Tab would've called Friede in (or that Friede would've accepted) anyway.

As far as Friede's development goes, all indications are that he's still on an upward trajectory. Sidney is receiving his first genuine interest from Germany at the older youth team levels, as opposed to someone like Hurzeler who was heavily involved within the German youth setup at the U-16/U-17 levels but had become an afterthought for them by the time he was Friede's age. You just never know with prospects though, someone like Devante Parker seemed like a sure bet to eventually be a contributor for the senior US national team if he filed his one time switch, but Devante's development has not just hit a wall, he seems to have regressed even. Now it appears he'll be lucky if he develops enough to have a viable long term pro career, let alone be a senior international.

Mario Balotelli and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yea I'm always in the "It's good if young German-Americans are good enough to play for German youth teams" camp. Let it play out.

21. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friede has been playing exclusively for Hertha II recently and scored his first goal for Hertha II on the 15th.

Gacm32 and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the provisional squad for Germany for the U19 European Championship. No Tim Tillman or Corey Anton.
    http://www.dfb.de/en/news/detail/kramer-names-provisional-squad-for-u19-euros-167994/
    Midfield
    Bote Baku (1. FSV Mainz 05), Aymane Barkok (Eintracht Frankfurt), Johannes Bender (1899 Hoffenheim), Sidney Friede (Hertha BSC), Dennis Geiger (1899 Hoffenheim), Robin Hack (1899 Hoffenheim), Mats Köhlert (Hamburger SV), Salih Özcan (1. FC Köln), David Raum (SpVgg Greuther Fürth), Patrick Sontheimer (SpVgg Greuther Fürth), Christian Stark, (Hamburger SV)

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the final roster for the UEFA U19 Championships:

Der deutsche EM-Kader
    Tor: Markus Schubert (Dynamo Dresden), Eike Bansen (Borussia Dortmund)

Abwehr: Julian Chabot (RB Leipzig), Jonas Busam (SC Freiburg), Dominik Franke (RB Leipzig), Gökhan Gül (Fortuna Düsseldorf), Felix Götze (Bayern München)

Mittelfeld: Bote Baku (Mainz 05), Aymen Barkok (Eintracht Frankfurt), Sidney Friede (Hertha BSC), Robin Hack (1899 Hoffenheim), Dennis Geiger (1899 Hoffenheim), David Raum (Greuther Fürth), Salih Özcan (1. FC Köln), Görkem Saglam (VfL Bochum), Mats Köhlert (Hamburger SV)

Sturm: Etienne Amenyido (Borussia Dortmund), Tobias Warschewski (Preußen Münster)

http://www.dfb.de/news/detail/schwere-entscheidungen-kramer-nominiert-finalen-em-kader-169761/