SI Writer Gregory Sica admits he was Wrong

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by SoccerScout, Aug 18, 2006.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    As they say in Portuguese "Nada como um dia depois do Outro". Nothing like one day after the other. In February Gregory Sica wrote an article in Sports Illustraed about the Libertadores and pinned Sport Club Internacional as a "smaller club" when compared to Sao paulo, Palmeiras and associated Inter with the Likes of PAULISTA which was also in the Libertadores.

Back then I wrote him an email as I was ticked off that someone would write such a thing. I even passed him along a short 18 minute documentary I put together of Inters History shortly after the 2005 Brasileirao.

Well, Mr. Sica has finally seen the light. It took Inter to win the Libertadores and for him to Visit the Beira Rio, but I think now he finally realized how wrong he was. He writes about it in his latest article. Definetly worth a look.

He still claims though that he is partially right because Inter hadn't won a Libertadores until this week, but I still dont agree with that. There are quite a few Large Brazilian teams that still havent won a libertadores. In 1980 Inter was 1 goal away from the title. That 1 goal is not enough to diminish what Inter was and Is. So is Atletico Mineiro small? Corithians??? Botafogo??? These teams have yet to win the Libertadores.

Furthermore, in Brazil its MUCH harder to win a Libertadores than if you are from Uruguay or Argentina. In those countries only a couple of teams win the National Championships, so those teams basicly play the Libertadores almost ever year. In Brazil, most clubs can go years or a decade without making it to the Libertadores, because in Brazil there are at least 10 Clubs that fight to get in every year. So its much harder in Brazil.

Anyway good recovery on Sicas part. Here is his article....and my Blog

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../internacional

My Blog (In Portuguese):
    http://bolavermelho.blogspot.com