Shut this Thread Down! - The Antonio Valencia Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by damnecuadorian, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen repped this.
  2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did Valencia really "give his absolute all"? Not really. He never developed a left foot and, despite his reasonably competent switch from winger to fullback, he worked much harder on his fitness rather than his technical ability. His crossing was poor, arguably horrific, and his dribbling ability was limited to kick-and-run.

That said, he did make the switch from winger to fullback reasonably well and never dishonored the club. It's just a shame he never really fulfilled what looked like incredible potential when we brought him, even before the horror injury.

3. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    If he is fit why not play him instead of young.. he might be shi8 now but cant be shittier than young ..

Deadtigers and jnielsen repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're equally poor, what's the point? Dalot and Darmian are the ones who need to be considered for the RB spot for the remainder of the season.

5. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It has to be Dalot tomorrow.

6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Tell that to Ole ... He has made him his captain.. Not sure abt equally poor but Valncia is surely better ..

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't know with any certitude that Valencia is better than AY right now. The last few times we saw Valencia, he looked like a player who had lost it pretty much overnight, just like AY recently. And both being 33, it does make complete sense.
    We have enough alternatives that we don't need to consider either option at this point.

8. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did you forget Valencias last game for us? Hes so done...he cant physically do it at this level anymore

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This. Valencia is a perfect example of how sharp the decline is for players that rely totally on pace when they start to lose it.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    No i have seen young masterclass in last many games which makes me ponder eveyother alternative, I know both are shi8 but my point is if he is match fit he might be little fresher than young who is playing shi8 week in week out..

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He's not better than Young.

LA. MAN UNITED and Anonymous_United repped this.
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    He can't be much worse. My mom in her 80s is better than young.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is muddying the waters for no valid reason whatsoever. Valencia has shown in his last few displays a while back that he is done, just as AY appears to be now. How would he represent a better solution, especially when we have at least 2, in Dalot and also Darmian (now that he's back from injury) available to fill in at the RB spot?
    Even if neither are optimal solutions, it's a safe bet they're better ones than Valencia. Go back and watch his last performances if you're not convinced or have forgotten, just how bad he was. He was no better than AY has been recently: what good would that be to us right now?

14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I have come to conclusion that everyone is better than Ashley Young ..

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1015 Ashur, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    It still makes absolutely no sense if you look at Valencia's latest displays. But carry on being completely irrational and obtuse about this...

16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1017 Ashur, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Valencia's goodbye message to the United fans.
    "It means the world to me — a roller coaster of emotions from sadness to ecstasy.
    “Sadness because I have won everything as a player here and will miss these moments. Sadness too because we have suffered heavy defeats as a team.
    “But thanks to the support of the fans we have managed to lift ourselves and I have no doubt they will savour more success in the near future as they deserve. They have always supported me even in my darkest days with serious injuries.
    “My message to all Manchester United fans on behalf of myself and my family is to thank you for giving me your undivided support. I wish them all the best for the future and that future teams provide you with great victories on the field.
    “My wife and daughter and closest friends will join me in my final game. I hope they enjoy and savour the occasion as much as I do as their commitment and support during the past 10 years was crucial to my success.
    “I am just concentrated in the Copa America with my nation, after tomorrow’s final game at Old Trafford.
    “After this I will sit down with my family and advisors and give the matter thought as I’d like to play for a further two, three years.
    “My first piece of silverware with United, Carling Cup 2010, as I had reached the pinnacle of my dreams as a young kid in Ecuador. For a whole month my family and friends kept calling me elated with emotion as they had seen my childhood dreams come true.”

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    My captain, my captian!

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This always gets me in the feels pretty hard: every single time since I've first saw it at 15...

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High to follow what the title of this thread says... Best of luck, Tony and thanks again for everything.

United 16 repped this.