Shut this Thread Down! - The Antonio Valencia Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by damnecuadorian, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been a fantastic servant to the club, even with the hate he's received over the last couple seasons. If he maintains his consistency and doesn't mind biding his time, I hope he can finish his European career here.

exref repped this.
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Fabinho next summer. Thanks

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've probably talked more shit on Valencia than anyone on these boards, but he's having one hell of a season so far and is easily our best RB.

Futbol_Head and SyedZada repped this.
  5. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What is he on is my question? I need some of that.

6. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    His productivity and threat level was not good enough for a winger but we kept playing him there to the cost of some really talented players. We had a RW that produced nothing for years thanks to him, its not hate like nobody really hates Rooney.

He is doing well as a RB this season but we can do better.

7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Valencia was never the same player again after that horrific ankle/leg break against Rangers (or was it Celtic?) several seasons ago. The move to RB had to have been difficult but he eventually made it work. But complaints about his play for 3/4 seasons were warranted.

Apart from there chaos of four managers in the last five seasons our bane has been keeping underperforming players under for far too long. Valencia is one example of that, Rooney another. Young, Rooney, Jones, Evans. The list is not short.

8. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    as far as i'm concerned, the rb spot is solved: valencia is the starter and tfm is the understudy.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timmy being the main alternative to Valencia this season is fine by me. But beyond this season, I simply think it would be incredibly shortsighted to confine him at the back, mainly because of his engine and energy. The guy has all the earmarks and traits of a top midfield guy and sooner, rather than later (by next season), I would like to see him start see time in midfield.
    Carrick perhaps leaving could open up some possibilities for him, but if it also means letting go possibly between one of Fellaini or Schneiderlin (especially if he fails to show significant progress this season), than it's something I would have no real issue with.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Unless Timmy shows some sort of savant like grasp of midfield play, I think his future is as a ball-playing CB. That's where I'd like to see him. He's very good on the ball at simple things, but he doesn't seem to connect the dots or read things two or three moves ahead like you need to in midfield. He's got plenty of time to learn it, but I think with his physical gifts and technique, he could be a beast at CB.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United have extended Valencia's contract for another year.

jnielsen, SyedZada and Chaz Striker repped this.
  12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd still like to see us address the RB situation this summer but Valencia will still have something to offer the club for one more season.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Should have got rid.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  14. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This one was deserved not that I do not want an upgrade on RB.

jnielsen repped this.
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Everyone comparing lingard to park. The only player we have that should be compared to Park is Valencia. Hardest working player in the prem in my eyes. And a proper squadie.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #891 Ashur, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Everyone? Since when does one person becomes "everyone", lol...

Extending Valencia's contract is a good move for sure. He's really risen to the RB job this season and while ideally, Jose ought to get a new one this summer, Valencia (especially on the form he's shown this season) at least can buy him some time on that front for the perfect option to be available.
    One of the toughest guys in the team and in the league for sure. Guy looks like he's carved out a block of marble. Love it.

17. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Neat.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well deserved. But going into next season, he shouldn't be the automatic starter. We need to buy a proper starting RB. Valencia will be a great backup RB against the weaker teams that are bunkering.

Chaz Striker, Gilma1990 and jeff070 repped this.
  19. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who should we buy though? Fabinho?

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabinho is one, even if his interest in United might have cooled a bit. Semedo from Benfica is another highly rated up and comer.
    Aurier is still one I'd take a chance on: he's that good. Speaking of longshots, if none of those guys panned out, I'd bring Rafa back in a heartbeat, personally.

21. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't recall comparing Lingard to Park. I wouldn't compare Valencia to Park either. Park made an important contribution to United during some of our best days and the man with three lungs should be praised forever, but what a shame he was never quite the player for United as he was for PSV. I watched quite a bit of Dutch soccer at the time (not any more) and Park was well more than just a lung-buster.

Another United player who never quite lived up to his sensational form for previous clubs but still made a substantial contribution to United was Berbatov. Forget his good work for for Tottenham -- what he did at Leverkusen was incredible. I have no idea what his stats were with Leverkusen but he played at an incredible level.

As for Valencia himself, I acknowledge that he's done well at RB but there are aspects of his game that annoy me. He should be much more accurate in his crossing and he should have, after all these years of being a professional footballer, learned how to use his left foot. He also stands too much trying to juke the defender and it almost never comes off. But he works incredibly hard and has become a capable defender -- it's just that as a former winger he's almost completely ineffective in attack.

22. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    we will waste our money if we buy an automatic starting right back. it is not a priority.

if we buy a right back it needs to be a rafael type player. a promising project to ease into the role, but still be given a safety net for the learning curve.

we have much more pressing needs than a right back...like center back, carrick replacement, ibra replacement (if rashford is not the answer). valencia has been the best right back in the premier league this year. it's crazy that people are cawing for him to be benched/replaced. yes, he is old, but he takes extraordinary care of his body.

23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. We have more pressing needs. But RB will continue to be a bit of a problem next season as Darmian seems a bit weak in the stomach for English football and Valencia is too often too wooden for my liking at least.

There's always Fosu-Mensah but it remains to be seen where his destiny lays.

24. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFM would be a waste at RB. He belongs in CM

Ashur repped this.
  25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If we are not going to bother with genuine width in the final third then we need serious upgrades to both lateral defenders.

Gilma1990 and SyedZada repped this.