showboating during a game

Discussion in 'Referee' started by bothways, Oct 12, 2016.

1. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009

so would you deal with this if it came up during the run of play. would it depend on the game, the age group, the intensity of the game etc.

2. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would keep playing. If it rises to a level that's unsporting (which it doesn't appear it did in the clip), then respond appropriately. More likely the antagonist will make a mistake and look like an idiot and it will stop.

3. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    I can't think of any likely scenario where this would be a problem for me.

refinDC, Law5 and frankieboylampard repped this.
  4. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I agree completely.^
    This is making a mountain out of a mole hill. I can only think of HS where they have that "taunting" rule. However, if I deem that as taunting I have to "disqualify" that player and no way in hell am I doing that.

5. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    or perhaps, the ref does it after a great advantage call, or dealing a red card :)

voiceoflg repped this.
  6. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Or tossing a coach. :p

dadman repped this.
  7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I do it every time I score an advantage goal -- three times so far this fall season! So I'm getting better at it; I'll probably go viral any minute now. :cautious:

dadman repped this.
  8. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why in the world would I even think of penalizing a player for demonstrating part of his skill set. If you want to destroy other players egos with superior ball handling skills then by all means go ahead and I'll enjoy watching.

Verbal taunting or trash talk is one thing but legal play, that's absurd to even think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    i never said you had to caution them! I merely said how would you deal with that?
    another scenario, player pulls phone out of his sock, and takes a selfie before he takes a free kick

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Had a situation sort of like that. U-19. Kid is showboating, and his team is losing. Just hotdogging and not accomplishing anything. Opposing player goes in hard, for obvious reasons, with slide tackle and misses. I still call a foul on him - no card (mainly to get him to drop off and to stop the doofus with the ball). Of course the opposing team didn't like the foul call and argue it a bit.

A couple minutes later while we are waiting for the ball to be retrieved for a goal kick, I jog into position near the defender who I called the foul on and tell him "I don't know why he (hotdogger) is being an asshole, I can't do anything for that, but if you want act like one too, I will have no choice but to card you for your actions." He understood after cooling off for a couple minutes.

dadman repped this.
  11. MfNz

MfNz New Member

May 31, 2016
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    You are there to apply the rules, pure and simple. The day FIFA say 'skillful players to be punished for showing off' you apply it (and I go referee another sport). As for 'how would you deal with it' (not a caution), again you apply the rules, you don't comment on players, you just get on with refereeing.

12. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are acting like he's just doing a soccer move here, rather than "dabbing", which is a dance move and not a soccer move.

I don't see a problem here, but could see it being a problem in a different situation. If a player "dabbed" right in an opponent's face right after beating them with a move, for example, then I would probably see it as taunting.

13. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played in college with a midfielder who had mad dribbling skills. On more that one occasion, he nutmegged same player 3 times in a row. Definitely showing off.

14. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    They looked like idiots in the original video, but not sure if I'd say "showboating" since it's only a goal goal lead with plenty of time left.

Three months ago, Sasha Kljestan was running in place with the ball at his foot in a blowout in the final minutes against NYFC, mocking them. Frank Lampard retaliates by taking him out with a hockey-like body check. Now, that's "showboating". :)