Show gone downhill

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by Weymouth Dave, Feb 5, 2011.

1. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    First, sorry people lost jobs and money over this, but I saw it coming as soon as Steven left (and clearly saw it when Sofie was named co-host and Kenny left).

Now onto the drama... reading the twitter nonsense just shows how unprofessional the whole lot is. None of these people are professionals and it all shows in how they've handeled themselves in the past year. I like Kenny and when he left I left... but he has got such a big head form all of this it's disgusting, really makes you wonder why he hasn't been given a radio gig elswhere... yet he actis like he was great at it. Nope, good co-host, that's all.

https://twitter.com/JamesCranford - some really good stuff here, including Kenny calling him a twat.

I wish Rafa would come back on here and give his side of the story, because from the outside looking in it seems like he was given control and ran it into the ground. In hindsight aside from the guests, the whole show was pretty low rent... from kids still in school or right out of school with no experience running things, to moving studios and hosts taking unanounced days off, for such a grand idea the people who started it have just as much to blame as anyone in why the show went into the tank.

I haven't scoured his page, but I like how Steven has stayed out of all this. He's the closest thing to a pro in the group yet his stubborness with the Liverpool situation sadly started it all.

saabrian repped this.
  2. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    It became quite clear to me when Sophie was named co-host and Kenny bailed that it was only a matter of time. Right after Kenny left I was denied a partial refund and that's when I knew this show would only continue to go downhill as the owners tried to keep any amount of money left from it in their pockets. Clearly the choice of co-host and then the continued changes showed that the show/owners cared little about the subscribers and much more about keeping it afloat with as little expenditure as possible.

I actually feel bad for Rafa in this situation. It seems to me that he ended up in a situation where he had very little control over the hosts or the content. It seems strange that he would just stop calling a lot of these former quality guests so I assume that he was just hamstrung on what he could do. It certainly seemed like the ratio of Goal.com people/friends of Martin skyrocketed once Steven and Kenny left.

I hope that both Steven and Kenny took Nox for quite a bit since they gave up all control as evidenced by Kenny's choice clearly losing out on the co-host gig (he made no secret what he thought about Sophie at the time). Nox killed this show and it seems like every decision that happened after Steven left went from bad to worse.

3. IlliniOne82

IlliniOne82 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Plainfield, IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't listen much last week because I was on vacation and I usually listen to the podcast on my way to/from work. Anyway I did listen to Friday's show and I have to say it was the best show I've heard in weeks. Two very lengthy interviews and decent discussion between Oliver and Rafa, who even made an attempt to bury the hatchet with Liverpool supporters. I actually felt that the show worked with a single host as long as the guests are good and the interviews in depth.

4. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kenny tweeted that himself, Steven, Robert, and Howard will do a 2 hour podcast in the next couple of weeks. My guess is that they will do an occasional podcast when time allows for them to do it if this one comes off without a hitch.

5. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I've seen both Robert and Steven tweet about it as well but without any more details.

6. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just Oliver and Rafa now? Who owns the show now? Sophie and the yahoo guy have been gone for weeks now. Thought they were in the field reporting but I guess it was a cover. Oh well, the captain jumped ship a long time ago.

7. kalmondolgin

kalmondolgin Member

Oct 5, 2011
    yea looks like WFD is now run out of Rapha's house with a daily call to Oliver Wilson. No more Sophie, no Martin (not a bad thing), no Casey, James, etc. Looks like moves were in cost cutting...

Show is no longer broadcast live for premium listeners to chat and interact. Guess they left studio. Word is that Oliver is un-paid and Rapha has been giving away swag from the studio. They haven't talked about any revitalization to the show- it's not terrible.. but with all the free shows out there, I can't see how this one can ask for a monthly fee anymore beyond being daily...

As for Steven, Kenny- they did a 2 hour podcast a few weeks ago on latalklive.com (i posted a forum on it in business and media). they cancelled this past sunday's show with scheduling problems, but hopefully they will start something steady.

on twitter they are @footyroundtable
    Here is Facebook page about the show with links to the first episode http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve...n-Football-Roundtable-Podcast/185250788231583

8. Canadawest

Canadawest New Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As a loyal listener since the Nick and Stephen days on sirius it has come to the point where this show is unlistenable. No more fan interaction. Oliver asks the most obvious predictable questions to guests. With Sophie he was fine but by himself no chance. Thanks for the Steven Kenny link on their new venture.

9. yodaisgod

yodaisgod Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell happened to this show? At least Steven turned me to the Guardian podcast along with ESPNSoccernet aka ESPN FC podcasts.

10. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Steven sold his share of the sold and left. Kenny a few months later sold his share of the show and left. Their replacements Martin and Sophie came in and then they left the show. Now it's some guy named Oliver and Rafa from what I understand that still do the show together.

It's a shame that the show died as it was really entertaining and informative.

I believe Steven is working in radio on the sales side in LA now.