Show gone downhill

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by Weymouth Dave, Feb 5, 2011.

1. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    Absolutely. It is a giant bunch of crap now. I'm stuck with it until August because of the way their subscription system works. 2 months after I renewed for a year and they wouldn't give me any of my yearly subscription back. At least when they first changed over the interviews were still decent. Now we're lucky if the interviews are over 9 minutes long. Vickery was the first one in a long time that went to almost 20.

Get_Stuck_In repped this.
  2. IlliniOne82

IlliniOne82 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Plainfield, IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still enjoy the show for what it is and feel that the value is still good, but I have to say the arguing between Robert and Sophie is getting out of hand. There have been several occasions over the past few weeks where the first 20 minutes of the show is nothing but them screaming at each other. Off the top of my head I remember this happening when discussing The Sun headline about Roy Hodgson. There have been a few others.

3. Randomhero31

Randomhero31 Member

Dec 13, 2010
    PDX via Buffalo
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's going on with the show now? I left about a year ago after Steven AND Kenny left the show. I wasn't feeling Robert and Sophie as a much.

Interviews better? I find myself listening to MLS Extra Time more than anything.

NYRBA1 repped this.
  4. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they got rid of Robert ever since then the show well lets put it this way its bad i for one will not be renewing after this year.

5. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    The interviews are worse than ever. Most of them are under 10 minutes long and the most basic questions are asked. Martin will routinely cut off the guest in midsentence if they start to go over 10 minutes similar to the way regular radio hosts will do when a commercial needs to run which really bothers me since I am paying to listen.

I will definitely not be renewing and I would have stopped a long time ago but there subscription service has a terrible refund policy.

6. naulamarad

naulamarad New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I completely agree that the show has gone significantly down hill. While they have gotten some big name guests, the quality of their everyday guests is nowhere near what it used to be. Also, the short and abrupt nature of the interviews leaves a great deal to be desired.

7. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have any alternatives?

8. naulamarad

naulamarad New Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There simply is not a single source of USA based info to replace WFD. The occasional show which Allen Hopkins does with Klinsman provides good USMNT insight, but is infrequent. The ESPN podcast with Lalas and Jimmy Conrad is good, but slow sometimes. There are a variety of quality UK based podcasts, but they rarely mention MLS or USMNT. For now, I'll be continuing on with WFD and longingly remembering the days of Steven and Kenny.

9. walkingcity

walkingcity Member

May 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recommend checking out the North American Soccer Network (http://www.NASN.tv) for quite a few podcasts. The Best Soccer Show in particular is a good one for MLS/USMNT coverage.

10. IlliniOne82

IlliniOne82 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Plainfield, IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has Oliver Wilson permanently replaced Martin Rodgers or what?

11. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the Best Soccer Show I just wish there were a daily one. I also like WFD without Martin he just blows. He has no insight that I have never heard before. Everything is the same contrived commentary. Sophie is pretty good although she started to talk a lot about sausages and her extracurricular activities outside of work too which is kinda weird.

12. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    There are so many days in the past few months I've missed having the show to listen to. Back in March I listened to one of the free Yahoo! segments and it once again confirmed why I ended my subsription. It just sucks that the show went out the way it did... I would have rather had the show totally go away than have two personally unlistenable hosts carry it on and be there as a reminder for how much I loved the show. Man... Robert and Kenny would have been perfect!!!

Men in Blazers is now my go-to podcast, but it's only once a week and while the guys are fun to listen to, they don't cover much outside of England.

Anyone know what Kenny is up to these days? I know he still tweets, but does he write anywhere like Steven does?

13. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    It definitely should have gone out in a blaze of glory rather than just peter out with poor hosts and decreasing interview quality. I just hope that both Cohen and Kenny got a pretty good amount of cash when they sold it to these clowns.

I enjoy the Best Soccer Show as well. Beyond the Pitch has some good interviews with a variety of guests including a lot that used to be heard fairly regularly on WFD. It's pretty random though on when the shows will be up and who the guests will be.

14. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah, I wish like many other things as the show went into the garbage, they were upfront about how that deal went down. Maybe I missed a full explanation, but they did a lot of refrencing to thew show being sold, but I never heard anything in detail. I could go on, but I don't know the facts of what went down so I can't really criticize how it was handled after Steven left.

15. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the rest of you that say the show is not good any more I have stop down lodging the show and I plan not to renew now I see the gust have been good but like the rest have side the host suck I would even go as fare as to say they are boring. That side I just picked this up Nick Geber is back him and Nick Webster is going to be starting a show together

This is what he side.

We are please to announce the launch of our show. Join us tomorrow at 9PM ET/6PM PT on the affiliate stations of the Sports Byline Network or online at www.sportsbyline.com

Topics? Why, the Euros, of course! Nick Geber and Nick Webster will kick off the show in style!

Hear is the FB page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/WorldSoccerRadio

And it’s free. So I think we mite be able to kiss WFD good bye.

RIP WFD. I plan to support his show.

16. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Great news!!!

Hopefully it gets put up as a podcast soon. I plan on listening tonight. Kenny has suddenly dissapeared from Twitter, I wonder if he could be involved in this?

17. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sophie tweeted a couple of days ago that she is no longer with the show as the show has serious budget issues and the only host that is left (Oliver) is willing to work for free. Apparently Martin left the show some time ago. It seems that Oliver and Rafa are the only ones left.

It's a shame the show is going the way of the dodo bird as I really enjoyed it up until Kenny left in the Fall.

18. SolMuser

SolMuser New Member

May 27, 2011
    Does anyone even know who owns the show? I gave up on it when my subscription ran out because I just couldn't deal with Martin Rogers (never liked his Yahoo columns either). But even before I gave it up, there was always discussion about this shadowy owner. I just want to know who is responsible for the decline and fall of World Football Daily.

19. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Rogers was the worst host in the history of WFD. God awful. Sophie was okay until she spoke about sexual innuendo. Kenny Steven and Geber were the best ever. At least now, we know who took the show down. Rafa Gonzalez and his stupid Behind the Glass Crew.

20. BigLegCraig

BigLegCraig New Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Last night on Twitter there was a lot of talk between James and Kenny among others about the decline and fall of World Football Daily. Kenny put the blame on the new owners and their decision to keep James and Rafa as producers and to hire Sophie and Martin as hosts. He felt that Robert was the only suitable replacement host and that they should have hired a name to work with him.

I personally am sad that the show is gone but, as somebody who has listened more often than not over the past 6 years, can't really agree with Kenny on the whats and whys of the downfall. To me Steven was the only top level host and nothing really worked when he left. Sure, Kenny was a million times better than Martin but being better than a terrible host isn't saying much.

Kenny's contention is that the producers weren't aggressive enough in pursuing EPL guests. Can't say I agree with this either, as I listened for the hosts first and the journalists second. WFD listeners were a self selected group that were very close followers of all things footie. We didn't need headlines and, speaking for myself, didn't need MLS nonsense.

According to Kenny when he and Steven sold the show to NOX, they had 3,000 paying subscribers. I knew the listenership was small but not this small. It makes you wonder if this was a sustainable model under any circumstances.
    Who is going to start a new show?

21. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it sad that the show went from being one of the top soccer shows in NA to being this. For me as soon as Kenney left the show started to go down hill I was hoping they would find some one good to Replace Kenney but what we got was Sophie and Marten now I am sure Both are nice people and you cant say they are not fans of the game but for me they are not Radio people Sophie was to lade back and Marten was also to lade back also he did not no a lot about other leagues. Kenney was the best he was funny and he new the game.

22. SolMuser

SolMuser New Member

May 27, 2011
    Just read the Twitter war between Kenny and James. Geez, no one came out looking good after that. And reading that made me realize how fake everything that Steven and Kenny (especially Kenny) said on the show actually was.

I also feel a little cheated. Steven and Kenny banked on people following them to a pay service, and then was it even a year before Steven left and they sold the company? They are responsible for who they sold it to and for what the show became as a result. The show never really lived up to the promise that they sold. (There were supposed to be other podcasts too, but what happened to Calcio and Coffee and what exactly happened that Beyond the Pitch became completely unaffiliated?)

Kenny may have torn apart James, Casey, Rafa, and Sophie on Twitter, but ultimately, the failure seems to be at his and Steven's doorposts. If they couldn't follow through with a subscriber-based show that was created to showcase them, they had the obligation not to do it.

23. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Kenny that the Beyond the Glass crap was ridiculous. Also what was with reading us Soccernet Headlines during breaks? LMAO. Amateur hour.

24. SolMuser

SolMuser New Member

May 27, 2011
    No you are absolutely correct, the Beyond the Glass was awful (although Kenny praised it on the show), and I couldn't listen to it. I always skipped over the headlines section in the podcast. Not saying that Kenny's critiques were incorrect; I'm saying he (and Steven) bears a lot more responsibility for the decline and fall of WFD than he is willing to admit.

25. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no doubt. They share part of the blame. Kenny did however always criticize BTG every Friday when he had to promote it.