Shouldn't we Fry Mumia Before Toasting Tookie?

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Bill Archer, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand this whole deal. Tookie is a bad man. I'm glad he did nice things after awhile, but so what?

I just don't get the whole thing. Who cares?

2. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    There's a clod over in the poli forum named "vivzig" who is claiming that Mumia and Peltier are innocent. And of course, he wants Tookie to get leniency because the prisons are all about rehab, or should be.

Why liberals think that their ideology requires sympathizing with muderers, I'll never know. I suspect it's because they are convinced that our society is so irredeemably flawed that we can't even consider ourselves better than scumsucking murderers.

3. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    What happens when one of these guys has their son, daughter, mother, father, dog, etc. get attacked and killed while in the crossfire of some gang war?

Will they want them out after 2 years for good behavior? Or rot in a cell? Or die?

I think when push comes to shove, they're going to try to keep the scum in prison.

4. YITBOS

YITBOS Member

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like everything, one-sided devotion is not a good thing. IMO, we need more rehab/social work in prisons. A good number of people in prison are good people -- they were either blindsided by environment or temporary stupidity. Likewise, a good number of people are completely beyond help and should have been hanged already in prison. Mumia is one of the latter -- Fry Mumia.

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely true, but IMO a big part of the problem is the culture they encounter in prison and the culture they get dumped into when they get out.

Maybe their "environment" of unwed mothers and street culture and gangs and such put them in there. Certainly likely.

But whatever else you force them to do while they're in there, the time they're NOT in class learning a trade is spent getting prison tatoos and doing drugs and hanging out with whatever gang of thugs they joined for protection.

And when they get out they end up right back in the same section of town, haning out at the same bodegas and streets with the same type of sub-culture, hip-hop (or trailer trash) fools that got them arrested in the first place.

I agree that in an ideal world prisons would reform and rehabilitate people who have gone astray. Sadly, I just don't see much chance that it can really happen that way.

6. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    That's one of the legitimate criticisms of the war on drugs - jailing pot dealers with the hardened criminals isn't a real good practice, but what else can you do?

The prisons are full of drug dealers, and we're not winning the war on drugs. It makes me sympathetic to the totally phony medicinal marijuana clubs in California. Even though they're phony workarounds for the pot legalizers, there's alot higher crime priorities to worry about.

There are hundred of those clubs in California, stoners dispensing "prescriptions." San Francisco is even gently cracking down on them, because they are operating in places that are making the residents uncomfortable. You know that it's a problem when SF gets tough on them, SF looks the other way when loonies are defecating amongst tourists at Fisherman's Wharf.

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't want to freak out any of my dear left wing fans out there, but I have long been a proponent of legalizing marijuana.

I worry a lot more about the long term societal damage that legal gambling does than I do about a segment of the population settling in with some tunes and a doob after a hard day's work. Seems so obvious that one feels stupid even having to point it out.

Surprisingly to me, it almost seems like we're farther away from making this logical choice than ever. Part of the reason is that MADD has gone from a nice little program trying to help teenagers - and others - make intelligent choices about getting behind the wheel of a car while under the influence to a full-bore quasi-governmental prohibition movement funded largely by millions and millions of taxpayer dollars and bent on denouncing "demon rum" as loudly and vehemently as Carrie Nation and the WCTA ever did.

There has also been a concurrent movement to demonize cigarette smokers, cigarette manufacturers and cigarette advertisement to ridiculous extremes. In much of the country you can't smoke in a public park, let alone a bar or restaurant. Now they're trying to pass laws against smoking in private homes. And all of this is based on some pretty flimsy scientific "evidence" which amounts to little more than anecdotal, about "second hand smoke" and how easily influenced teenagers are by cartoon camels.

And have you noticed that now the ads seem to skip smoking altogether and instead attack the manufacturers? "Big Tobacco" is the problem, "Big Tobacco" is evil. Screw intelligent, fully informed citizens making a free choice to engage in risky behavior: it's evil rich corporations that are the problem.

So while everyone predicted that when the Baby Boomers got their hands on the government they'd make short work of pot laws, in fact the opposite has happened. The confluence of anti-drinking and anti-smoking forces will doubtless continue to metigate against a common sense policy that pretty much everyone agrees on.

8. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I've been inside of a pot club (sorry, medicinal marijuana), and it's a truly hilarious experience.

For example, a sign on the wall said "No Smoking Except in Case of Medical Emergency"

Then you've got the stoner pharmacists. And I'll bet that the worst disease anyone there had was the munchies.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  10. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Time to fire up Ol' Sparky!

[​IMG]

11. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Don't get your hopes up. There's a reason that there's over 600 people on death row in California - they find a zillion excuses for not doing it.

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

No kidding. Wasn't he convicted of this in 1979? I'm not for the death penalty, but if you're going to have it, having someone sit in a cell while they have 800 appeals doesn't make any sense to me either.

13. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
  14. YITBOS

YITBOS Member

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Terre Haute, IN attending school when Timmy McV was put down. Terre Haute is not the smartest town in the land. Everyone was sooo happy that he was being put to death that there were calls for residents who cared to turn on all of their lights, ovens, air conditioners, etc. in order to drain the power grid and make him suffer more.

Honestly though, I didn't have the heart to tell any of the people passing out the pamphlets calling for the electrical drain that McV was going to be put to death by lethal injection and not the electric chair...

15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this disgusting murderer, who despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary nevertheless maintained he didn't shoot those people he bragged about shooting, has gotten what he desereved.

Interestingly, Jesse "Camera Whore" Jackson showed up and tried to enlist as a "witness". He gave his usual "400 years of oppression" canned speech, adding some crap about the sanctity of life, but then a reporter asked him if he could name the four people Tookie killed.

He could not.

Say hello to Satan, Tookie.

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jeez. For real? toss in a link if you can find one. Jackson is an attention whore to the extreme and I wouldn't find it suprising at all that he could not name the victims. He might have been even more enlightened had he viewed the crime scene photography.

But oh no. "Tookie", as we are to lovingly refer to him :rolleyes: , and his story of faux redemption was vastly more important to someone of Jackson's stature than being even slightly aware of the true horror of what this waste of oxygen visited upon the families of his victims.

17. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
  18. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    You know, all that talk about non-violent legacy almost brought a tear to my eye. And then the reporter had to ruin it by talking about the victims.

Thanks CUS for the link.

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So hard to pick out a favorite part of that tape.

Maybe the part where Jackson is heard stammering "i..I..I...I...I..."

Or when the interviewer is told he's "ignorant" - ignorant of what, exactly, isn't made clear. Perhaps "ignorant" of the fact that no one is allowed to quetion tha greatness of Maerica's Premier Race Pimp and corporate blackmail king.

I guess though that the best is when Jackson talks about Tookie's "New worldview" which, right about now, includes a front row seat at Hell's big bonfire and weenie roast.

Still one has to wonder: since Jackson is, supposedly, a man of the cloth, how is it he is not apparently familiar with the concept that redemption of sin and forgiveness is predicated on admission of sin?

20. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm gonna go barf now. Jackson is completely laid bare in that clip, for what he has become.

Pathetic.

21. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    thanks for this, I had a good laugh.

While I am opposed to the death penalty, Jesse Jackson looked like a complete ass (again) here.