Should we get rid of food stamps, Medicaid, etc, for families, and just give the poor lots of money?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jan 20, 2014.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That's not working out, the ACA is going to balloon the deficit.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He held all the levers... and all we have to show for it is the ACA.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Link?

fatbastard repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I believe the Nixon administration proposed this in the early 70's, Guaranteed Minimum Income. It didn't get anywhere.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source/link?

It's funny to see you regurgitate bullshit that I'm sure kills at Redstate, but that people who know better, well, know better.

I'm pretty sure you are aware of what you're doing. IOW, I think you're a troll and not a moron. See, I'm complimenting you!!!

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    From a source you can trust... ;)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/24/budget-office-obama-health-law-reduces-deficit/

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is from Fox. That's all that counts for the TPfishy.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Brummie and dapip repped this.
  10. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  11. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    How often has any government program, much less a social program not cost a great deal more that projected. Here are two links

http://democraticthinker.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/projected-health-care-costs-vs-actual/

and

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/tbb-0309-17.pdf

One is a left leaning sight and the other a right leaning site. Regardless of one's opinion of Cato, they cite their numbers and most of the source material is the GAO. This is not a left/right issue for me. I do not trust ANY government projections for future costs of anything. I really hope that if Obamacare remains the law, which I believe it will, that in 10 years we will look back on it as one the best things the country has done and see deficit reduction. But I would certainly not bet on it. Do you trust government projections for the costs of war or whatever new toy the military wants?

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    1. Your article is from July 2012
    2. CBO estimates assumed the law would be implemented as written. Well our President has changed the law at whim over and over again.
    3. The demographics of those enrolling are nowhere near what was predicted in 2012.
    4. Insurance companies are already pushing back because of all the President's reversals
    5. Today Moody’s downgraded the prospects of insurers to negative because of the ObamaCare law.
    6. Given all that good news it looks like huge taxpayer bailouts via the law's risk corridors are coming.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More or less, this is the poverty thread...

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/12/289299044/study-boys-report-ptsd-when-moved-out-of-poverty

Interesting and would very much like several studies that various articles and papers have indicated which I've read. A couple, specifically, have indicated looking at how single, Black mothers discipline boys and girls differently. One indicated that the mothers were less strict towards boys. But the above study does not indicate race, which I think is probably correct.

As per the article, there is some major frustration I have with the authors. Working in an environment such as I do, I see a clear mimic to what they reported: boys don't want to leave their environment while girls do, on average. Clearly it is necessary to have both counseling as well as discipline, and I don't understand how the authors could have missed that point, or at least have been unprepared.

What I would like to know is the demographics of the family of those that moved into the more affluent neighborhood. Where they all single children? Where there all single parents? Did the kids have have kids? What kind of past did the parents have? Stuff like that.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Gee, who would have tought that? Giving poor people housing is cheaper than jailing them or letting them rot in the streets...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...-charlotte_n_5022628.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

And here is the best quote in the article, for Paul Ryan to choke on it:

16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Doubtful that he would. Reactionaries in general believe that poverty is a personal moral failure and their remaining in it is a proper punishment for it.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well, I don't expect him to read or believe the study. But if I was debating or interviewing him I would pretty much have the whole study memorized, printed and flagged to see him stare like deer at headlights. I would also bring some BBQ sauce or A-1 to help him eat his words.

18. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I tried to get food-stamps.

They sent a letter that arrived to me at 1 PM that told me they would call earlier that day for my "interview"

It was the one day a week I am graced with employment, so needless to say I am still pretty much eating food that is ruining all the progress I made in terms of my health the past year just to get enough calories.

Good thing I didn't get that 2nd part time job (My skills "overlapped" too much with an existing employee o_O) Or I'd get kicked off my Masshealth for having an income that is above the limit.

All the more annoying is the fact that it is almost the exact some job I have now.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guess who is into food stamps fraud?

http://freakoutnation.com/2016/02/dear-gop-legislators-we-found-your-food-stamp-fraud/

Lyle Jeffs, brother of imprisoned FLDS leader Warren Jeffs, has been indicted on conspiracy charges, including food stamp fraud and money laundering.

Jeffs, who has been running the polygamist FLDS community in Hildale and Colorado City while his brother serves his sentence, faces a two-count indictment unsealed Tuesday afternoon in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City.

The indictment charges 11 leaders and members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with conspiracy to commit Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering, according to the U.S. Attorney in the District of Utah.

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but, but only black people do that sort of thing, right? Maybe Spanish people, yeah, them too...

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In one of the hyperlinks, I found this beauty:

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/and...2006/05/how-polygamy-affects-your-wallet.html

"Their religious belief is that they'll bleed the beast, meaning the government," said Mark Shurtleff, Utah's attorney general. "They hate the government, so they'll bleed it for everything they can through welfare, tax evasion and fraud."

It makes some sense. Polygamists have multiple wives and dozens of children, but the state only recognizes one marriage. That leaves the rest of the wives to claim themselves as single moms with armies of children to support. Doing that means they can apply for welfare, which they do. And it's all legal.

"More than 65 percent of the people are on welfare ... compared with 6 percent of the people of the general population," Shurtleff said.
    Sounds like some other "ranchers" that you may know?

Seriously, with all due respect to people who practice a religion but respect our government, why seems that some of these people do not practice Mormonism but Moronism?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of state assistance - some shmucks in the Illinios statehouse want to shame single moms some more and want to deny assistance and worse, birth certificates, if no father is named.

might have trouble clicking link due to censorship :) But you can figure out the missing 4-letter-word for the *******s though, I have faith (the meat is in the quote but there is a bit more on the folks who introduced the bill)

http://jezebel.com/utterly-********ed-illinois-bill-would-refuse-birth-certifi-1761353980

soccernutter repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    And a nice bonus is that, without a birth certificate, that kid will never be able to vote.

soccernutter, fatbastard and dapip repped this.
  24. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Bonus? In 21st century America that is a feature.

dapip repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fyp