Should we be worried

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by RetreadFC, Oct 18, 2017.

1. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So with the playoffs looming, and TFC not playing especially well lately should we be worried? All that hard work for most of the season can come to naught with one single bad performance. (I know it's two legs, but you know what I mean).
    Bono hasn't been sharp. The defence has been vulnerable to the press, and our offence has been rusty.

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    It has long been my belief that in professional sports (not just soccer) you can't build a champion. The best you can actually do is build a contender and be one of the three or four teams with a significant shot at the title. Once the playoffs hit, so much comes down to hot streaks or unlucky bounces that all you can do it watch and enjoy. Last year's playoff experiences against Montreal and Seattle are classic examples. Either outcome could have flipped with one little bounce.

Yes, TFC has been a bit wobbly lately on both offence and defence. They've still won three of their last five and they have their full team back now. I think they'll be fine subject to my point above about the vagaries of playoff chance.

RetreadFC repped this.
  3. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think the latest dip in form has been because:
    1) a number of key absences
    2) they are playing teams that are a little stronger than before (LA and San Jose looked like they had just given up completely)
    3) teams are starting to figure out how to compete against TFC

#3 is the biggest concern, but it was bound to happen. The bottom line is that in the end the team is still winning games despite this. They are still a strong team and are able to make adjustments when things aren't going their way. As I've said before, they aren't going to just roll their way through the playoffs beating every team 4-0.

4. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No.

When Saturday Comes and GoodDead repped this.
  5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I remain cautiously optimistic.

When Saturday Comes and crazypete13 repped this.
  6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Really, though, what have they done lately ;) :)