Should US National Team Players Be Required To Stand For The National Anthem?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GiallorossiYank, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should National Team Players Be Required To Stand For The National Anthem?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2017.
  1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 GiallorossiYank, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Unimane

Unimane Member+

Jul 28, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Defeats the entire idea behind the anthem and the core beliefs of this country to make patriotism mandatory.

Unak78, trafficjam304, chalaron and 9 others repped this.
  3. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could get out of hand quickly. But no.

4. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if NFL, NBA, etc. players don't stand for the anthem, but I think those representing their country should. If you won't stand for the anthem, then don't accept callups to the NT.

doogiemo, Excape Goat, juveeer and 6 others repped this.
  5. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Poor form on ussf's part

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being respectful is not "patriotism". I expect people to be respectful for any national anthem. So when the Canucks play "O Canada", I expect all players to remain standing and respectful. And visa versa. No kneeling, no sitting on your hands, no jumping jacks, backflips, or flipping the bird. Just don't do anything one way or the other till after the anthem, as a common courtesy.

doogiemo, Excape Goat, juveeer and 13 others repped this.
  7. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Landon had done this we wouldn't even be talking about this.

In my eyes there was no disrespect -- it was giving respect to the idea of equality/civil rights.

8. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably the best argument I've heard for this position. I may change my view on this basis

diablodelsol repped this.
  9. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The counterargument is that doing nothing is acting in support of something when you want to be speaking out. Imo it's not about respect or courtesy, it's about disagreeing with the message. If somebody held up a flag or had a shirt saying "support the troops" the argument about respect and courtesy wouldn't be brought up.

Unak78, Mattbro and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The counter-counter argument is that by agreeing to play in the game, you agree to leave all of your political messaging out of one small part of the ceremonies. As a matter of course.

Wave your flags, raise your fist, kneel, or put up your "support our troops" banner after the anthems play. If you can't restrain yourself from proclaiming your personal political views at every single opportunity, you've got one big, disrespectful, ego, whether you wrap yourself in the flag or burn it.

Allow me to conjure up a similar situation. I'm not a very religious person, but sometimes I eat at the dinner tables of family members or friends who say some form of grace before the meal. Out of respect, I follow along, even though I'm not Jewish, Baptist, Hindu, or Lutheran (the only religious sects that have said a grace when I was there, I'm sure there are many more). Even though I could interrupt, it's a free country, after all, it's not about "the message", but being respectful. I'd expect, even the most anti-religious person, to control themselves in the same situation.

11. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a problem with leaving all personal or political messaging out of the anthems. I believe that you're sincere in your views and I don't find them troubling. However, there definitely are people whose primary issue is the message and use the 'respect and courtesy' position to attack a position they disagree with rather than a tactic they disagree with.

12. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I have no problem with athletes/actors/actresses/musicians expressing their opinion via social media, or on their own time, etc. Doing so on an unrelated stage smells of narcissism. Daily, people are bombarded with current political/social issues countinuosly and want 2 hours or so to escape and watch a sporting/entertainment event.

Ironically, those with the idea to "spread awareness" usually are a few weeks late to the party. Awareness is already spread. If they take the next step (action) I will take them seriously. Ray Lewis, Jim Brown for example.. If they dont, then stop posturing.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I go by the old school Tony La Russa way of doing things.

Sure you have the right to take a knee. And the Organization you play for has the right to sit your ass on the bench and tell you what you are doing is wrong or never call you up again in this case.
    Freedom goes both ways.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This....Don't use any anthem to make a statement. It's a time to show respect not grab for attention.

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'm ok with the ruling as I think there's a big difference between kneeling when it's a part of your job (a professional athlete and the team that pays them) compared to representing the national team, which is a choice. I'm also ok with athletes kneeling when on their regular teams.

jaxonmills and yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  16. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There is a counter-counter story to this. Say you're sitting at the table with said religious person, and you happen to believe in evolution. Then said religious person begins praying that he/she wishes God to save/change all the heathens that believe in evolution, and that in all likelihood all those believers will go to hell. Could you control yourself in that situation? Most people can and do, but I couldn't argue against anyone that spoke up right then.

The importance of the message far outweighs any respect that the national anthem deserves. Lives are at stake.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 gunnerfan7, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Leaving aside the fact that national anthems are nowhere near analogous to a religious fundamentalist in the metaphors that we're dealing with here, the point remains that, if you can't control yourself, that's your problem. Like I said, you can be as anti-religious as you want. But you chose to go sit at a table where people say grace every single time. It's not a surprise. Please don't be a jerk about it, and just wait till it's over.

As an athlete, you go to events that play one, or more, national anthem. Every. Time. It's not a nationalistic trap that's been sprung or a contract signaling endorsement of governmental activities. Heck, when an anthem is somehow played incorrectly (e.g playing the wrong anthem, or the sound system not working), people get angry. Why? Because even making a mistake while playing the anthem is seen as "disrespect" to the people of that country. So, when people assert that "be respectful" is a crutch used to silence criticism that I'm presumed to be against, I wonder what they've been watching.

juveeer, WrmBrnr, Marko72 and 1 other person repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There shouldn't even be a national anthem for club matches. It's silly. You aren't representing any nation and you're basically playing intra-nationally. Plus, you could be making a statement against the policies of that country, which even in the song lyrics is in the principles of the nation. It's hypocritical to take umbrage with that. Also, you may know the history of using the national anthem in this regard is war propaganda, which is a machine it keeps feeding, that you may want to encourage starving finally. In addition, players need to make a living, but that doesn't mean they need to compromise what they believe in. I fully support Colin Kaepernick's choice, and I think it's well-meaning, in addition to courageous, although at the same time I don't think he's doing it for particularly the right reasons. I'm not going to get into that because we know how that goes already on this forum.

A NATIONAL team match drastically changes the circumstances. You are playing for a country and it's an elective thing to accept a call-up. If you really had a problem with the policies of a country, you could not accept invitations, even to big tournaments like the World Cup. If you were an impact player that would get people's attention more than not standing for the anthem, which at this point would be old news. I've made this clear before too in other potentially controversial discussions I just look at international football as a sporting competition, not one where you're trying to compete on whose politics or culture are superior. So from my viewpoint, I'd accept call-ups and stand without serious qualms, even though I am in strong opposition to many of the U.S.' policies in present day. Someone who looks at it differently may be inclined to not stand, but if that's the case don't accept the invitation in the first place and the problem solves itself.

Once there I guess I don't have a problem with USS making it mandatory to show pride in representing the nation and not dividing the team potentially. Consequentially and even principally I think it makes sense for them to impose this rule. Although my first instinct was to defend the rights of the conscientious objectors because our country is supposed to provide people that right, as well as the priorities of politics vs. society vs. sport. Sport should take a backseat, in the vast majority of the cases. This is not one of them, however.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's important to make a distinction here. Anyone can use a national anthem to make a political statement of some kind. Nobody is saying that they can't. The question posed is two-fold: is it objectionable to use an anthem to make a political statement, and does US Soccer overreach in mandating "respect and attention" while the anthems are played?

My response is, yes, it is objectionable to use an anthem to make a political statement. There is a long-standing and useful expectation of respect for national anthems, moreso than any other televised/non-televised ceremony. You just shouldn't take a song and turn it into a megaphone for your personal beliefs.

And secondly, no US Soccer does not overreach by mandating that players respect national anthems that are being played. There should be no double standard, where US players stand respecfully for the US anthem, yet jeer or protest another country's anthem. Show respect for all of them.

OT, but I take umbrage with Kaepernick's kneel not only because it goes against my feelings on political statements during anthems, but also because he created a long-running and hurtful distraction to the team. Maybe if Sackorpick had spent a little more time in the film room instead of curating his well-publicized multi-million dollar sneaker collection, we wouldn't have paid millions of dollars for a dispassionate QB that got beat out by Blaine-freaking-Gabbert, a JAGUARS castoff. But, as soon as he kneels and makes political statements, suddenly the pressure's off, and his play on the field matters less than what he says off of it. And that should not be the case when considering a current athlete (unless they do something egregious off the field, in which case of course, it matters if an athlete kills someone or something like that).

juveeer and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many layers; too little time.

If someone from Mexico was kneeling during our anthem, I would view it as a sign of disrespect. So I would never do it during someone else's anthem.

But I do feel like someone from the country in question has a little more right to voice disapproval. Like I might talk mad shit about people in my own family from time to time, but it doesn't mean I don't love them, and wouldn't defend them against outsiders. I actually considered doing a kneeldown at the Mexico game right after the election because I thought the country had just gone completely against everything I thought it stood for. (I got beyond it rather quickly, but I understood a lot more where the impulse came from.)

Personally, I applaud people like Kaepernick and Rapinoe for having the guts to open themselves up to criticism in order to make a point about something that needs correcting. Free speech needs to be free. But it does get a little murky when it comes to national team events. It's one thing to do it when you see the team you're representing as "San Francisco" on the scoreboard; it's another to do it when the scoreboard says "United States." You're playing for the United States, but you dislike something enough that you want to kneel during the anthem?

Then, peel another onion layer, and the question becomes, "are you really representing the country? Or are you just representing U.S. Soccer?" It seems like every time I ask a question, I come up with one answer and two more questions.

For the most part, I fall on the side of allowing people to do the protest. The First Amendment is the embodiment of what the anthem represents. By forcing someone to act a certain way during the anthem, you're almost cheapening the anthem because you're diminishing the person's rights. Of course, I also draw my line on what's "disrespectful" in a different place from where some others might. I would find jumping up and down and screaming over the anthem much more disrespectful than an actual political statement designed to increase awareness and enact change. If someone near me knelt during the anthem, I'd be tempted to ask him about it later. If a group of twenty-something drunks were talking over the anthem, not trying to make a statement, but just generally not giving a crap -- I'd be shushing them, because they'd be interfering with other peoples' chances to participate.

Have I double-talked enough? If anyone reads this and is asking "so, what the hell side are you on?" Well, that makes two of us.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say yes, they should.

For their individual teams, a different matter. Want to kneel/protest when you play for LAG or the Thorns or 49ers, go right ahead. But when you're wearing the NT jersey and representing our country in international competition, I don't think that's really the time to disrespect the flag.

IMO it would be a terrible look if say, during the national anthem of USA vs CR in WCQing, to have half the team take a knee. And if you have that level if disrespect towards the anthem/flag, why are you donning our NT jersey and representing our country?

That's not to say I don't respect the right to protest or kneel, but there's numerous outlets/options to do that aside from when you put on the NT jersey. Don't do that while actively representing our country as the NT itself represents unity and togetherness as a team, representing our nation.

22. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, playing for the national team is a choice, if you have a problem with whatever you have a problem with show your protest by not playing. As a member of the US Navy I don't care if you don't want to stand for your club team, have at it hoss, but if you make the decision to voluntarily put on that jersey then you put your opinions aside. Complain on social media like everyone else.

23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The First Amendment isn't necessarily protected while you are operating in the workforce environment, or under an organization. If your employer/organization decides something is against terms of service, you can suffer the consequences of continuing the action, or find a new employer. Its not as simple as freedom of speech.

I dont feel strongly enough either way for me to be a big deal, but its more of a /rolleyes annoyance.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just miss when people were proud to be an American. For all it's faults, it's still the best damn country on earth.

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For starters, I don't see the point of national anthems before club matches. I feel national anthems are inherently political, so I really don't mind if people use it to make a statement, since I'm forced to sit through an unsolicited political statement anyway by default. In fact, I encourage it.

NT matches is a different story. I think it's kinda questionable (or at least hypocritical) to accept a NATIONAL TEAM call-up, which means taking a paycheck to come play for your country, then sit / kneel during the anthem. That's a little bit of having your cake and eating it, too. If your conscience really bothers you, then sit out a couple matches.

ttrevett and PhillyandBCEagles repped this.