Should UEFA leave FIFA?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Jtsmith1, May 29, 2015.

1. The Germans are coming

Aug 13, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Tell us more about Qatar football glory.

The very fact that there was political colousion and sleaze involved in Platinis vote for Qatar proves that UEFA have to leave FIFA. Because FIFA has started to corrupt us. We need to clean ourselves up and get rid of those rotten appels that we have and we would be far better in doing that without having some gulf state sheiks or African executives who are banned from the IOC for corruption dictate things to us.
    Europe and South America are the heart of football, our supporters and fans love football because of football and not because of the money. So those who only follow football arround whilest never having kicked a ball themselves, purely for the money, can go organise their own stuff without us.

Now please tell us what "grand" and "glorious" football nation you are from?

2. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    What glorious history did South Africa have? How about Korea or Japan? You're just moving goalposts now. Gifting a WC has never been about giving it to a country with a footballing history. FIFA has tried to grow the game by bringing it to other countries outside its home base. Furthermore, football is extremely popular in pretty much every Arab country, a lot of people love the game outside Europe and South America. Not to mention, it is not like FIFA is without support from some UEFA members.

But let's get back to the original point. Corruption. Reality is your bid was corrupt just like Qatar's and like every other bid in recent history, now apparently even involving arms deals to a state with just as bad a human rights record as Qatar. Are we to now believe that Russia (a UEFA member!) didn't bribe voters? Well, Mr Putin has a bridge to sell you.

Hexa repped this.
  3. The Germans are coming

Aug 13, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    I have already adressed that in a previous post in this thread. If you are to incompetent to read it or consciously ignorant of it, then that is your problem and not mine.

As I said before in a previous post that you are either to incompetent to read or consciously ignorant of:

Why should we have our football destoryed for 3 consecutive years because of Qatar when a world cup could also be hosted in Morroco, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey and Jordan without disrupting our football totaly?

My guess: You wont answere this.

lol Let me show you the big difference here:

It was the German newspaper "Die Welt" who exposed the corruption for the 2006 bid.

Pigs will learn to fly, Israelis will hug Palestinians, Nazi dinosours will roam accross Antarctica, Irans Ayatola will come out as gay, China will become green energy number one and Swedes will start getting along with Fins - before a single Qatari media outlet will ever conduct an investigative report into the Qatar bid.

Here is what we have: integrety and responsibility within society itelf.

HomietheClown and Berchtesgaden repped this.
  4. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    What does it matter who exposed the bribery? At the end of the day, you guys are no different from the people you like to criticize. Especially when it comes to giving arms to a 7th century country that actually beheads people publicly and stones gay men to death.

Still, Mr. Putin has a bridge to sell you. Because according to you we are now to believe that Russia's bid wasn't corrupt. Nope. Even your boy Beckenbauer took bribes from Russia to give them the WC.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Qatar Media would probably eat those flying pigs publicly before conducting a fair investigation.

dna77054 repped this.
  6. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    The issue is simple -- if FIFA is indeed corrupt, then what substantive actions are they taking? The sense is that without something more meaningful than executives going to jail needs to be done to change the environment enough for them change. I too believe that Platini is tainted and I too doubt, given how deep the corruption is within FIFA that any bid was totally clean. However, it doesn't still mean that FIFA's feet really need to be held to the fire -- and the only way to do that it seems is to threaten them with extinction, not just jail for whatever members we find.

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/06/while-europe-celebrates-rest-world-will-miss-blatter

http://www.statista.com/statistics/268839/fifa-broadcasting-rights-revenue-worldwide-by-region/
    http://www.insideworldfootball.com/...bution-to-world-cup-tv-revenue-falls-below-50

8. The Germans are coming

Aug 13, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso

Who cares about the world cup viewing numbers from outside of Europe and South America? How does that in any possible way determin how many places Europe and South America should have at the world cup?

Tell me, how many Asian and African nations were in the final 4?
    In which leagues do the best players grace the pitch?

It`s the quality that matters!

9. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Um, broadcasters who pay the bills certainly care about viewership outside of Europe and South America. You really don't get it do you? It's not about the quality, if you want quality, watch the CL, World Cup is about you know, the world.

Hexa and zahzah repped this.
  10. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I'm all for holding FIFA's feet to the fire, that said I do not buy the notion that UEFA is doing it for the best interests of the game. In the end, all of these (corrupt) players are jockeying for more power within FIFA, and UEFA will do what's best for themselves, and no one is really all that pure.

My opinion is that these nonprofits naturally tend to be corrupt as they are not accountable to anybody - whether it be the general public, governments, or shareholders (the way companies are). Perhaps giving them oversight by somebody might be a good start.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It determines how attractive the tournament will be for non-European teams. Europe is barely growing. Meanwhile Africa, Asia and the Americas are booming. Europe's share in revenue will continue to drop and the role of non-European contributors will skyrocket. Ignore them at your own peril.

Besides: Any World Cup which ignores any region of the world will become a FALSE CUP and the trophy itself will be worth much less than the current one. Even if the traditional best teams in the world are there.

12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, I guess we need to be careful about lumping everyone into one big corruption pile. FIFA is corrupt enough that to operate within FIFA that perhaps anyone was touched by it. Regardless, I haven't heard of any corruption associated with UEFA outside of FIFA. Either way, an alternative needs to be found to FIFA to make FIFA act.

The whole discussion on 'worthiness' is, IMHO, at this time irrelevant. I think any group, in order to have any credibility, needs to be inclusive and willing to work with others -- that will determine their worthiness. Forget the past, need to move forward.

Holier than thou Eurosnobs don't help the cause...the approach should be one of inclusion rather than condescension and 'my way or the highway'.

13. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Not to mention, outside of the big powers, there are a lot of mediocre to weak teams in Europe that make the WC that are really no better than the African and Asian teams that make it there.

14. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Fair enough, I do not believe that UEFA seceding is a realistic threat. It's being voiced by a few names, but I bet Sepp has a lot of support among other countries in UEFA. Spain and Russia are already known supporters.

15. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Maybe one solution to corruption is to flat out formalize it. Just auction off the world cup hosting privileges within certain region.

16. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, Russia is no surprise -- but I would hope that there are enough to make it a real threat. What else will bring FIFA to it's senses?