Should The United States Move Election Day To A Weekend?

Discussion in 'Elections' started by EvanJ, Sep 21, 2014.

?

Should The United States Move Election Day To A Weekend?

1. Yes

44.4%
  2. No, leave it as is

16.7%
  3. No, but make Election Day a holiday that workplaces close for

38.9%
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking about what one of my professors said in Spring 2006. She claimed (I'm not saying she's right or wrong) that the Republicans controlled the Pennsylvania state government and intentionally distributed voting machines so that on average Democrats would have to wait longer to vote than Republicans with the goal of having some Democrats decline to vote rather than waiting. She suggested moving Election Day to a weekend. By moving Election Day to a weekend, missing part of a workday to vote would be an issue for fewer people. Keep in mind that some people may work far away from their polling place. If a person who had my polling place worked in Manhattan, there could be hundreds of polling places closer to that person's workplace than the person's polling place.

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There's certainly no good reason not to move the day to a weekend day- tradition certainly isn't a worthwhile excuse. If it can be proven that more people can vote on weekends without fear of job termination or lost time, I'd be all for it.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Which means it'll never happen bc the GOP doesn't want ppl to vote. The more ppl vote, the more they lose.

dapip and Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    American Brummie repped this.
  6. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Sunday won't work. Interferes with church. Only godless people could vote.

dapip repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And Saturdays with Sabbath..

Damn, you discovered our liberal plot.

8. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I think weekend voting would great. Or even Friday and Saturday.

If we really want to increase voluntary turnout, make election day the first Saturday after tax day.

FormerGermanGuy and dapip repped this.
  9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Sunday isn't as bad as Saturday. Religious Christians could still vote on a Sunday, but strictly observant Jews would not be able to vote on the Sabbath for religious reasons.

The right way to do this is:

1. Easy, no questions asked, vote by mail access for all, including an option for permanent absentee voting for all.
    3. Easy and accessible early voting for all.
    2. Weekend voting, meaning both Saturday and Sunday -- i.e. no more election day, but rather an election weekend.

10. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The GOP wouldn't go along with Sundays in a million years. Democrats would never go along with a Friday or Saturday election, because most of the people who work on Friday or Saturday are either industrial/factory workers or service industry (retail) workers, each are far more likely to vote D.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We already have early vote and absentee ballots. What I would find more interesting for a topic is Open Primaries, where we vote for candidates from all parties in the primary and if no one gets 5o%+ of the vote there is a run off among the top two vote getters. If you want to make third party candidates viable alternative Open Primaries is the answer.

12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with this. We had 10 days of early voting in Maryland this primary season. Anyone who didn't want to vote really had no excuse.

Besides, looking at the third option in the poll. What businesses that aren't going to close for President's Day are going to close for election day?

13. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yea we in CA have that jungle primary and I hate it. Top two finishers regardless of party makes the fall ballot. It makes party primaries obsolete and you can get too many people on the ballot which crowds real contenders out.

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Do they have all the voting precincts open on early voting days? Over here they only open certain locations (mostly libraries and government buildings) for early voting and the lines were very long in 2012. I went on a Saturday to the library in my area and decided to vote on election day on my precinct; my wife went to a different library on her way from work and she was able to vote, but overall the feeling was that the lines were very long everywhere.

I ask this because for us it is relatively easy to go to our precinct but it still implies driving and one or two hours. Can you imagine how difficult it is for somebody that relies on plublic transportation and/or can't take a lot of time off (asuming that early voting is only open in certain places)?

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well no one can bemoan that they only have two options if your not willing let a third party into the equation. Our current State systems guarantee that the final vote will be a Dem vs. a Rep with a possible third party spoiler that almost always favors the Dem. I'd be much more prone to vote 3rd party if I knew it wasn't a de facto vote for the candidate that is my polar opposite.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. like that time when Ralph Nader siphoned all those votes from George Bush, which ensured the election or President Al Gore.

Seriously, I would agree that 3rd party candidates need to be given a fighting chance. Maybe the solution would be similar to what is done in some systems, where you get to make a first and second choice.