Should Serie A contract to 18 teams?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by shizzle787, Dec 15, 2015.

1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is meant to start a debate about the merits of slightly less TV money (or maybe more) vs. rest (resulting in best results possible in Europe + better results for Italian national team). Currently, the Italian football system looks like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_league_system_in_Italy.

Personally, I would like to see some changes. As far as the amateur ranks are concerned, I would keep them the same. However, I feel Serie A and Serie B (especially) are bloated. If each league contracted to 18 teams, I personally believe four less match-days would help with Europe. For instance, Juventus and Roma had to play midweek matches in Serie A a few times the week before or after a midweek match in the CL-which means playing 5 games in two weeks (that is a strain). Although Serie A does a good job of helping its clubs in Europe (especially CL squads) with scheduling Friday games, for instance, it could do better.

Additionally, I believe the Lega Pro should be renamed Serie C (duh), and should have 3 regional leagues of 16 (instead of the current 18) clubs each (to reduce travel).

Back to Serie A: between 1988 and 2004, the league had arguably its greatest success. I think it is no coincidence that during that same time period, there were only 18 teams in Serie A. So the question becomes,
    would Serie A sides lose TV money because they lose four games a season, or would it remain relatively stable as the games on average would be better. Also, would ticket revenue go up (per game) as there would be two fewer homes per season so fans would be more likely to show up as a game is a slightly more precious commodity than previously (when there were more of them). (It should be also noted that costs would go down as their would be two less away trips per year.)

What say you?

2. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree, i think it should be cut to 18 teams and i'm surprised the Lega Pro hasn't been re-named to Serie C yet but that's not that big a deal. Serie B should be cut to 20 teams IMO. For the teams in Serie B especially, they don't really make that much money off of gate revenue. It's much more costly having to afford away trips. Especially teams from Sicily/Sardinia having to go everywhere with flight costs.

3. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I would be in favor of contracting to 18 teams (so starting with the current 20 teams minus Milan and Inter) if it meant playing each other team twice at home and twice away, so a 68-match season and we could do away with national team stuff and maybe even Coppa Italia to make it all work.

4. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, and serie b should be cut too, imo its way too bloated.

5. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Serie A needs to be cut down. B teams added to Lega Pro and fight for promotion to B and stay there, no chance of promotion to A and excluded from Coppa Italia.

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  6. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good point about the B teams ^

7. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Teams like Milan would have nothing to play for if not for the threat of relegation.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  8. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    good job on your Coppa Italia conquest, a team that was in Serie B last year ended your run.

9. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Excellent point and stuff.

10. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Mind you Zaccardo is playing out of his mind right now, ex World cup winner!

11. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the question: would the four non-Epiphany weekday matches be scrapped if the league shrunk to 18 and went to 34 matches?

12. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think another benefit of going to 18 teams is that when marketing the league, the casual fan will see less adverts for teams they haven't heard of before (Carpi, Frosinone, and Hellas Verona...I'm looking at you) getting scored on by Juve, Napoli, Roma, etc. and instead see Bologna, Palermo, and Inter (more recognizable names) getting scored on.

13. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, I just have no clue why this decision not been taken yet.

14. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have rethought this, and I believe the answer is to go back to 16 clubs in Serie A. 29 of the 30 league fixtures would be on weekends, and the other fixture would be the first Thursday in January after the winter break. The Coppa Italia would feature two preliminary rounds leading to the Round of 32 (where the top 10 Serie A sides of the previous season enter). These two preliminary rounds would be played on weekdays. The Round of 32 to the final (all one-off matches) would be played on weekends. In total, there would be 34 weekend matches, and 1-3 weekday matches for Serie A sides (if they reach the cup final). This would lead to well rested sides who have no excuse to fail in Europe. Shrinking the league to 16 would increase the quality by diluting the talent somewhat, and because there would be only one midweek league match, there would be little squad rotation. Serie A would relegate two clubs, and Serie B would promote the top two in their league (18 clubs). Serie C (Lega Pro's new name) would also have 18 clubs and would feature a 3 up/3 down promotion/relegation relationship with Serie B. Serie C would be semi-professional (and as others have input, I would allow B-teams up until this level).

15. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    18 is fine. Kick Inter and Juve out.

16. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Why would diluting the talent increase the quality?

17. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *concentrating the talent (that was a whoops)

Calcio Pauly and NickyViola repped this.
  18. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should go back to 16 teams. All the 30 matchdays can be on weekends. Also, the Coppa Italia format can be slightly changed so that the semifinals are one match and the top 10 Serie A sides from the previous season enter the Round of 32, which precedes two qualifying rounds to whittle down the field. The final would be played on a Sunday and the rest of matches would be played on weekdays. This would allow for a proper winter break. A study by the Bundesliga was done to see if it should expand to 20 from 18 and it was found that cost would exceed revenue for expanding. I think the inverse would likely be true if we shrunk from 20 to 16. Serie A should never be played mid week and each team only having 15 home league games would lead to better crowds as matches would be rarer.

Calcio Pauly, Midfield General and phat repped this.
  19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan