Should Pulisic, McKennie, et al come back to MLS?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Nov 20, 2017.

?

Should our rising talent (CP, WM) return to MLS?

1. Yes; our best players need to make MLS better for us to compete for a World Cup

5.7%
  2. Doesn't matter - the gap between MLS and BuLi is minimal/over-rated. CP/WM performance won't change

1.9%
  3. No. Our best players should compete against the world's best to maximize our World Cup odds

92.5%
  1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think this poll would have looked quite different had the US qualified for the 2018 World Cup. I think if you assume qualification (which many did right up until the last game), it's not a stretch to think that improving the game domestically is more important than playing slightly better at a World Cup with little to no chance of winning anyway. Of course, in the aftermath of getting bounced out, ensuring the national team is given every advantage to be as good as possible on the day is the obvious priority.

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'd be interested in seeing how you voted, onefinesq, given your strong MLS backing.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing interesting here, honestly. The question is ridiculous. Why in the hell would you come to MLS when you are playing and enjoying your soccer in Europe, for a good stack of money? I am in line with clint on this one ... your specific circumstances should determine where you go. And the 2 specific players mentioned are in great places for their careers, it would seem.

As for some of the other guys clint mentioned, I would also agree. There are a few players over there who would be helped by a return to MLS and some playing time (if they went to teams that wouldn't be scared to play them).

Marko72 repped this.
  4. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Yes, they should... in 15 years.

DHC1 repped this.
  5. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't believe your conclusion follows.

I believe that improving the quality of MLS (and USL) is critical in raising the level of our national team. I don't believe, however, that raising the level by importing foreign talent or having our best young players play in MLS is the solution. I do believe sending our very best young players at an early age at least before 22 is the best but imperfect current strategy. As the league grows, the quality of the league will continue to grow (I think it is indisputable that the quality of play has risen over the past 20 years). As the quality of the league grows, it will make more and more sense for better players to stay here but until that time, individual players can benefit most by playing at the highest level that their talent will allow. For players like Pulisic and McKennie, it will be a long time before the MLS is the place for them to come back to...

What the USMNT needs right now from US professional soccer is an improved environment for young Americans trying to transition into MLS. Continued growth and improvement in USL as well as increased participation by MLS will go a long way toward solving this problem. I believe that MLS needs to improve but it should be more a bottom up process rather than a top down process. The method you suggest is more top down.

Marko72, DHC1 and Cyclops1776 repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That 10% constitutes 3 people. The exponentially more plausible explanation is that they are BSMX trolls or kidding. Telling that nobody has defended those votes. You could ask if cannibalism should be legal and 1-10% of voters in a confidential internet pool would say yes out of jest.

You can be of these two opinions, and imo should be. For the US to contend for a World Cup title MLS needs to be one of the top leagues AND until then MLS shouldn't create artificial impediments to individual clubs selling in their best interest while the USNT manager should provide them aid in moving because that's realistically what they're going to need. Deserve those spots on merit anyway. Over a few years you're going to call up about a hundred players. More than enough room for MLS standouts.

If players still want to stay or return to the US for the big (Garber) bucks, it's really not our or the manager's business. They maintain a high enough level they should be retained, if not they should get dropped. It's a really minor problem in the grand scheme because we're talking about a few players. Only one it may have adversely effected was Bradley. Dempsey got old, he didn't get worse than you'd expect someone at his age. Altidore remained the same, maybe got better. Recovered some confidence until the pressure was really on and then he choked again, like he did in England. Besler remained the most reliable cb for the national team. Morris helped us avoid embarrassing losses in the Gold Cup + qualifying (at Honduras) and scored the winner in the Gold Cup. Most of the players competing in MLS when given the option to go somewhere clearly better are doing so because they'd still be sufficiently motivated. And the ones coming back would be reduced by the abolition of the DP/allocation rule which they have leverage to take advantage of unlike those career domestics. Teams figure if they have those exceptions might as well spend extra if need be using them. That usually means less young Americans there getting a chance to play.

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    This is probably the best call - no one has stepped up to their votes.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Russian bots

DHC1 repped this.
  9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe try putting a knife in a toaster

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 superdave, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Yes.

Your immensely selective use of data jumps right off the page.

P.S. Where the hell do you think Landon played in 2001? You can’t even troll right.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=5722s&v=woZlQgkYJCg

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I change my vote to yes just for the hilarity of seeing the meltdowns. CP would become the new MB overnight as far as these boards go. :p

12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't believe that but nice trolling effort none the less. No one in the US pool could become the next lion man. You have to be arrogant, slow and entitled. CP is none of those.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I only want them to play in MLS as long as they play on my Chicago Fire. :p

jmplautz repped this.
  14. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Well....there was at least one sitting on the USMNT bench until recently. And another one sitting in the MLS's Executive Suite.

Namdynamo and laxcoach repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, he's been gone a while.
    upload_2017-11-28_11-0-50.png

Can't believe that ********er got conned by the con man.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    They also like to pour hot coffee on themselves, get paper cuts on their tongues licking envelopes, getting their arms caught in vending machines, and napping in beds of poison ivy.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. He'd come to MLS, criticize the enormous gulf in standard of play, MLS fans would turn on him and call him anti-American for not supporting the league more, Lalas would label him unpatriotic, he'd tear his hair out trying to figure out what everyone is even thinking and trying to do on the pitch as the allocation system would place him on a terrible team, then a major club would come in with a lifeline, buy him and smash MLS' transfer record while Jermaine Jones would go on live stream and thank whoever rescued him while Jordan Morris would ask him if he wanted to come play with his dog in Seattle and enjoy some s'mores by the fireplace.

Meanwhile Bradley would still be mediocre in Canada. No one in America even wanted him. He had to go to the land of the Canuck to find work.

Patrick167 repped this.
  18. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I bet he'd also personally thank you for all the pet names you tried to give him!

19. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    LOL.

Talk about being conned!

20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    you make the dumbest polls you aren't starting conversations you are saying dumb things trying to start arguments.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Thank!

Perhaps drunken posts at 1.25a aren't the best idea.

22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    wasn't a compliment