Should Pia have used Sauerbrunn in the final 4 years ago?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Slowpokeking, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Buehler was pretty much the weakest spot of USWNT at that time, she didn't mark Sawa well in the ET and made quite a few mistakes. Sauerbrunn played in the semi and was very good. I really think that Pia should have continued to use Sauerbrunn in the final. USWNT could have won the cup at that time.

McSkillz, Namdynamo and thegamesthatrate repped this.
  2. EbaJones

EbaJones Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    FFC Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on play you are correct, but the emotion Buehler showed coming out on the field after we won on PK's against Brazil and Pia's dislike of change likely stopped that move.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    U should have started this thread four years ago. Ive always thought Sundhages loyalty to her fav players cost her the cup. Mostly that revolves around Morgan's limited role but U could make a good case for Sauerbrunn.

4. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Yeah, i think a lot of us voiced this concerned and most of us where calling for Becky to start and Rachel to sit before the tournament started. Becky has always been a better defender than Buehler.

jackiesdad repped this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I had that thought 4 years ago, not sure did I post it or not.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    A lot has been made of the odd roster decisions by Ellis but it wasnt that different under Sundhage. Not only do u have the cases for Morgan and Sauerbrunn not being ready (except in the WC with the title on the line and both were ready and shined) but what was up with Heather Mitts? Now I liked Mitts and thought she always played well when given the chance, but what was going thru Sundhage's mind? Mitts was the back-up to Krieger, but when Kriegs tore up her knee at CONCACAF did Mitts get moved to #1? No, LePeilbet got moved to the right and O'Hara got on the job training on the left. Now whether u think the team was better with LePeilbet/O'Hara or Mitts/LePeilbet, u have to ask the question...what the hell is Mitts doing as the #2 right back if the head coach doesnt believe she can do the job if #1 goes down? Yet there was Mitts, still the #2 right back on the Olympic roster.

Namdynamo and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bueler was selected for this WWC roster, guaranteed we would have lost......

8. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Our Minds.

McSkillz repped this.
  9. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was bringing Mitts any different than bringing HAO, Chalupny this time around? It seems pretty consistent for the USWNT. They hold on to players, bring them around with no intention of using them. It's a waste of the chance for development and puts a lot of emphasis on supposed team dynamics.

Namdynamo and kernel_thai repped this.
  10. Lola92

Lola92 New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If I have to rank my top players of this tournament, Becky would have to be at the top. If not #1 then #2. She was on point as a defender. I get that JJ played well for her first WC, but she made some errors and Becky was there to clean them up. I was surprised that she wasn't nominated for any of the awards.

Namdynamo and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  11. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    yea, very different. Mitts was injured leading up and during the tournament. It's similar to Boxx this tournament, not HAO or Chupa.

12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    JJ did make some mistakes, but overall she was fine.