Should our over the hill Icons get a farewell game?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HScoach13, Oct 26, 2017.

?

Should our Icons get a farewell game?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Dempsey and Howard have served the US team with distinction. Dempsey may well deserve the scoring record. Should they have a chance at a farewell game? Is this too early to discuss?

2. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I basically don't much like farewell games to be honest, waste of time.

3. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    Maybe schedule Belgium and give them another chance at Howard? Methinks it wouldn't be scoreless after 90 ...

4. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    T&T was the farewell game for several of 'em. They didn't realize it at the time...

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If this is a public poll, then a polite yes; if a private poll, then an emphatic no!!!

Edit: D'oh! :oops:

FC Tallavana, TOAzer and puttputtfc repped this.
  6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I've posted this in a couple other places, but Dempsey setting the record now would have to feel so hollow for everyone, including him.

Bradley doesn't deserve crap.

I couldn't care less about Howard getting one.

LouisianaViking07/09 and laxcoach repped this.
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    The Michael Bradley send off game brought to you by Food Lion.

It's got a good ring to it.

8. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey and LD finishing level on goals seems poetic and fitting in a way.

kickin365, Berks, majspike and 8 others repped this.
  9. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted yes, but now that I think about it, I would say no. I'll always appreciate what Dempsey has done for the USA, but he's past his best and it would be silly to give him a cupcake game just for the sake of breaking the record. Howard doesn't need another cap for any particular purpose. He had a lot of great moments in the USA shirt.

What US Soccer should do instead is have a nice pre-game ceremony 9-12 months from now where they honor some of the recent 100+ cap people like Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Donovan, Howard, and Dempsey. Maybe give them all some type of patchwork kit with pieces from all the different USA kits from the past decade, and a number 100 on the back. Something like that.

MPNumber9, 15 to 32, Mr Martin and 5 others repped this.
  10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I kind of agree. There's a poetic justice about two guys that people debated who was better ending up tied.

Mr Martin and DIMITAR BERBATOV! repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tied on goals...now, assists, that's another matter...:D

TimB4Last repped this.
  12. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I said yes, because they gave us some good years, some good memories. It would be something good for morale in the team and the fanbase to have a big sendoff like that. Something positive for us to reflect on - and lend closure as we move forwards into the next phase of the national team. And we have some meaningless friendlies coming up anyway.

But here's the problem with farewell games: both sides have to agree to it. Farewell games happen if the player announces his retirement - from internationals or for his career. They don't happen if the player just sucks too much to be called up anymore. Yes, Howard and Dempsey are not gonna get called up again. But will they accept that? If they're of the opinion, "No, I want to keep playing", then you can't hold a farewell ceremony or testimonial for them without it feeling insulting and stirring up ill will.

It's the difference between throwing someone a retirement party, and throwing someone a forced retirement party.

15 to 32, StillKickin, Bajoro and 2 others repped this.
  13. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    [Jurgen]
    There is no place for sentimentality in soccer.

You want them to feel the pressure when they go to the grocery store.

Nein!
    [/Klinsmann]

AutoPenalti repped this.
  14. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, 10/10 was their send-off game as @OGx3 has pointed out, also they distinguished (crapped out) themselves in many other crucial games games for the past few years. 10/10 was when they have reached their international soccer retirement age (also called product shelf life in supply chain).

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Only if Adu is invited as well.

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually I'd say no for pretty much anyone but Donovan (who was never involved in the US failing to qualify for the World Cup, in fact he qualified the US last time with his goal and assist against Mexico), but I'd say yes just because it could be a "eight birds with one stone" situation... just make it against a tough opponent so Dempsey can't easily break the goalscoring record.

17. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After WCQ catastrophe every ********ing game must count, no more exhibition matches, every game must be a training session for next WCQ. They are not "over-the-hill icons", they are washouts, they deserve nothing now.

18. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Should have happened last year

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Not making the World Cup means these players are disgraced

kickin365 and chad repped this.
  20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Bradley = Roy Munson.

That should be his future from this day forward... a cautious tale of what not to be.

21. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Not a chance in hell. These guys are all disgraced, and deserve nothing. Maybe give Dempsey a plaque at halftime of some friendly as a thank you for being a badass for so many years.

Howard got 2 years of send off games, and reminds me of Jeter sucking ass yet still playing that last year. Pathetic.

Bradley is the worst captain in US soccer history. The fact he hasn't publicly given up the arm band/retired for int'l duty says all I need to know.

Donovan was the only guy who deserved something like that. For all the shit he got (from me included), he carried the team, consistently stepped up when needed, and was the best/most influential player during the best US soccer generation.

This all being said, if a send off game meant I'd never have to see these guys again in a US shirt (include Zusi, Beaz, Altidore, Guzan, Omar), then I will offer my backyard and livestream it for the entire world.

kickin365, manq360, Ghost and 2 others repped this.
  22. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Sure, the second friendly in this November window. Oh wait.

Well, maybe you could make it an intrasquad scrimmage, that way you could send off quite a few folks we never need to see again.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    WCQ was that. They didn't qualify.

Ghost repped this.
  24. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Useless Camp Cupcake game should be there farewell.

25. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    TIm and Clint, yes. Michael Bradley, no. But Bradley will continue to play for us, so who are we kidding?