Should Martin Taylor be banned for Life for his Shocking Tackle on Eduardo

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Melbourne Croatia, Feb 23, 2008.

1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Banned for life is pretty harsh. Can't prove if it was intentional or not, but serious injuries happen. Maybe a ban and pay cut for the rest of the season if we're going to use extreme punishment. Does this Taylor have a history of violence?

Prayers for Eduardo.

2. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Banned for life? For a mistimed tackle? Don't be ridiculous.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The tackle in itself was nothing shocking. It's just your run of the mill mistimed tackle. Nothing malicious in it at all. The freak injury is bad but to blame Taylor and have the outrageous reaction that we have seen is pretty poor. Let's not forget that Eduardo himself had an equally bad studs up and high challenge on Nani last week. It happens. If people cannot accept that then don't watch a contact sport. Hopefully Eduardo recovers and makes a full return for Arsenal at some point next season. It's a big blow for him, Arsenal and Croatia. Best of luck to the lad.

4. Swooshy

Swooshy New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Yes, it was a horrible tackle. But I don't think it was malicious and it was an accident. I hope that Eduardo has a quick and successful recovery, and I hope too see him back on the field soon.

5. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Agree 100%, suprisingly ;)

6. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Shouldn't even be a sending off if the injury hadn't happened. It was a 50-50 challenge for a free ball. Happens hundreds of times every game. One in a million will result in something like this. Taylor had perfect right to go for that ball. I'm pretty certain as a player that you have to be a special kind of scum bag to try and break someones leg. Wenger retracted his comments, and so should anyone else who repeats them.

Looking at the video on youtube, there are death threats against Taylor from Croatia fans which I find disgusting.

7. astar24

astar24 New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Shouldnt be a sending off? what are you on? 50-50 challenge for a free ball doesnt end up with someone's cleats in another's ankle, breaking their leg, if you think it does your an idiot.

I'm not in anyway saying that Taylor went out there to try to break a leg, but dont for one second think that he wasnt trying to send a message to a very skilled and technical team early in the match, 3rd minute your going in a tackle with your studs showing, is surely trying to send a message.

I am not excusing any of the horrible tackles in the past at all by Arsenal players or others but the tackle was horrible and Taylor should be punished.

The tackle was intentional, you dont break someone's legs by accident, period.
    Even if it wasnt malicious, a long-term ban needs to be given to send a message to everyone.

In the real world, the excuse that 'it was an accident' isnt good enough. You cant accidently shoot someone and say that if the person didnt die that it wouldnt even be a crime, therefore no punishment.

The death threats are disgusting, but Taylor smiling after the play show's he was ingenuine, it was only after seeing the extent of the damage he inflicted that he felt sorry for Eduardo.

The English Premier League needs to send a message to players like Taylor that clearly cannot match the speed or skill of other players in the league and use physical violence in attempt to close the gap between their ability.

If Taylor is not smart enough to make appropriate challenges and/or pull out of them when he is not quick enough to get the ball he doesnt deserve to play professional football.

8. kasia

kasia New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    If I choose to drive in a reckless, stupid manner and I end up seriously injuring someone, can I expect to be let off because it wasn't really my intention to hurt anyone?

Taylor should receive a minimum one year ban.

9. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I don't think Taylor is malicious. It's even worse, he simply has no brain, he thinks that was a normal tackle and he should be removed from the pitch in respect to football as a beautiful game.

10. JimmyTheHoover

JimmyTheHoover New Member

May 9, 2007
    Intermediaville
    I'm glad I don't want to jump on the wagon as I think there's standing room only!

This is absolute rubbish.

Where is all this s**t coming from? This is all about the severity of the injury, not the challenge.

This happens at least once every season to some poor soul, where were you guys before?

Wake up! The challenge is nothing more than a 3 match ban.

Next time Eboue kicks someone in the head, Essien goes in two feet, or Rooney has a mental attack, will you scream "lifetime ban"? don't think so.

Pathetic

11. super reds

super reds New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    chichester
    im a man utd fan, but i feel so sorry for arsenal and eduardo. it would be a bit harsh to stop taylor playing football, people are saying he was smiling when you can clearly see he was genuinely upset. he tried playing the ball, but credit to eduardo, eduardo was just like lighting.

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes you do. I've seen it happen a number of times.

13. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not going to call him an 'English hack'?

The answer is simply no, he should not be banned for life. It wasn't the best tackle ever, worthy of a red though, but it wasn't two footed and wasn't meant to injure him.

I've been reading the thread on the Arsenal forum and all I say is that it's a good job Arsenal players never tackle over the top of the ball :rolleyes:

14. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ptch, he should be banned for life :rolleyes:

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There are death threats in that laughable petition someone has started.

16. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Get over yourself. Players from all over the world put challenges in like that from time to time, sometimes it's accidental and sometimes it's in the heat of the moment. As you said yourself even Arsenal players will resort to this (and Teso has stated that Eduardo did it as recently as last weekend).

I can tell you now that one of your precious Arsenal players will injure someone within the next 18 months, shall we be looking for a long term ban then? :rolleyes: Don't kid yourself that Arsenal are a clean team, they get their fair share of red and yellow cards.

17. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    what?? A 2-match ban is enough.

18. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    What an overraction to a mistimed tackle. Eduardo is the new Diana and Wenger is Al Fayed.

19. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    How many mistimed challenges don't result in a broken leg, even when the studs are off the floor? I counted five in the Leeds v Crewe game yesterday with only one yellow card shown. Taylor had a perfect right to go for that ball. Eduardo got to the ball a fraction of a second before Taylor. One in million of these challenges will result in injury, which is part and parcel of playing football. Had the injury not have happened I very much doubt Taylor would have been booked. Yet because the injury happened, people are demanding revenge. Pure hypocrisy.

And 'physical violence' ???? WTF is that about? If challenging for the ball is made illegal then how are you supposed to defend. It was an honest attempt to win the ball, that went wrong. His foot was about four inches off the ground, which I would contend would be average for that kind of challenge. Unless you are shorter than the ball, how are you supposed to avoid the force of a challenge going downwards?

20. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Harsh tackle resulting in a serious injury, obviously Taylor tried to hurt Eduardo(anyone who played football with is friends or more professionaly nows that) but didn´t expected to break his leg.
    Probably a 5 or 6 games ban just to send a message, just like someone pointed out about Taylor intentions...

21. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Absolute rubbish. The difference between Taylors tackle on Eduardo and lets say, that dirty bastard Binya's challenge on Scott Brown was that Binya deliberately jumped into a tackle he had no right to make. Taylor is an honest player, always has and will be, and he had every right to try and get to the ball. No one within the game agrees with you, including most managers and players who know Martin Taylor.

22. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree it was a clumsy and mistimed challenge but I can't see malicious intent.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Arsenal player who came sliding in at full speed in attempted challenge on Nani after the seal dribbling incident. To me, its challenges like that where a player is clearly acting out revenge that have more malicious intent.

23. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haha yes :)

It is funny seeing the hysteria over what was just a clumsy tackle from a player with no real track record of ill discipline. Even Wenger has had the sense to backtrack on his comments and realised it was an unfortunate accident in a contact sport and nothing more.

Not to mention his team (including Eduardo) attempting to cripple Nani last week, which made this tackle look powderpuff.

24. white_raid

white_raid Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    If Eduardo had done that to, say, Gerrard or Lampard, he would get massacred in media. The tackle WAS malicious, the ball was nowhere near, his studs were high, it was 40 meters from the goal and in the 3rd minute of the game. I'm puzzled at how some of you are forgiving to this brutality. That just adds credibility to the stereotype that many of the continental football fans have of your game.
    As some players and coaches said on these forums, in case of a mistimed tackle, you can still relax the knee a bit, just to weaken the impact. He did a tae-kwan-do tackle, he just hammered his leg to the ground without releasing a bit. Even if you cannot prove the intent, if he gets away with a ban of 3-5 games, it's like releasing the man from prison who, while drinking, recklessly hit the pedestrian.