Should Locked Topics Have To Have A Comment By The Locking Moderator?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by EvanJ, Oct 25, 2015.

?

Should Locked Topics Have To Have A Comment By The Locking Moderator?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/best-concacaf-forward-is-it-suazo.337098/page-7 locked only because it was bumped up from January 2007? The last posts in the topic did not seem worthy of locking it due to arguing in my opinion. The CONCACAF forum moderators are:

@IASocFan
    @Popol Vuh
    @Wiso

I have two requests of @dark knight

1. I think moderators locking a topic should almost always have to post a reason. I started a poll here to see if other users agree with me. I consider a locked topic without a reason like if a teacher marked a multiple choice question wrong but refused to tell students who got it wrong what the correct answer was. If two topics are started about the same game or news in the same forum and both topics are on the first page of the list, locking one without an explanation is okay with me.

2. If old topics should never be bumped up, I think a formal rule in the form "do not bump up topics more than x years old" should be posted somewhere, possibly at http://forums.bigsoccer.com/help/terms . I also think that if old topics should never be bumped up, there should be one rule for the whole board rather than leaving it up to moderators of different forums to make different decisions.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a fan of locking old threads "just because they're old." It's always been a rule of thumb around here not to do that. There could be a perfectly valid reason why a thread over 30 or 60 days hasn't been posted in. A universal "don't respond to threads over X days, or it'll be locked" rule would be horrible for this forum. Likewise, someone who rarely posts in a forum may not be familiar with one forum's individual policies regarding old threads.

Yes, if a thread is locked, the reason should usually be given. A lot of forums may lock pregame threads when the game starts. Likewise, they'd lock the in-game thread once the game is over. However, these reasons are obvious and in these cases, a "thread continues here" link should be provided in the last post.

I do think the reason why a thread is bumped should be stronger for older threads. A thread one month old and it's probably fine. A thread two years old? You'd better have a fantastic reason.

In this case, I probably would have started a new thread with a link to the old one.

Footsatt repped this.
  3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    We'll wait for the mod who did this to chime in - I think it would have been preferable to manage a live topic in a way that allowed it to continue by either renaming the thread or moving new content to a new thread.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I agree. The poster bumped the old 2007 forwards thread to start a new topic on the 2015 forwards. That new topic should have been a new thread.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The forum software may not allow this but I think it would be good if a Super Moderator like you would have access to a page listing topics locked, posts deleted, members banned from a forum, etc. done by moderators.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I can figure it out if I have to I think.