Should I beat my son?

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by bojendyk, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    You're a big man.

Not.

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An honest reply Pints; I tend to agree on purely speculative grounds, having never experienced such a thing.

However, in regard to the thread's open question, unless your son actually was caught voting for a Democrat, I would never actually beat him.

3. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    What does becoming a liberal vegan who drives a Toyota, get you in your household?

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An unmarked grave down by the river...

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    ITN, I would hope that you would never lay a hand on Pints' child, regardless of their political views.

6. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Man, report card day must be a blast in your house.:D

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where did i say i was?

8. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't this belong in the "should i hook my kid on drugs at an early age" thread?

9. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i operate under the assumption that every sensible parent beats his child, not to the point of being comatose, no! that would be excessive. if fact, it is better not to leave marks, because many nosy people, who have nowt better to do practically live for being able to point out the tiny peccadillos of right-thinking people.

the far more significant question is this: when should i stop beating my son?

the best age is when the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. for example, it your child is going to take the SAT the next day, even if he fails to make his bed, or leaves an item of clothing on the floor, i maintain that it would be unwise to beat him. beating someone must always motivate them in the right direction, and it might be unsettling to the detriment of the test result.

so, in such a case, wait until he comes home from taking the SAT and then let him have it.

10. Arjen_Robben1

Arjen_Robben1 New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    No, just ignore him.

11. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can one ignore when a 10 year old puts scissors to his throat:mad: :(

12. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but was he running with the scissors? that's the more important issue, dontcha think?

13. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not running, but the strong genes from his criminal biodad must have kicked in (biodad talked/tried to kill himself)

14. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is why men should not talk...it will end in tears...

15. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No beating, but I don't believe a good upbringing is possible without a smacking at least once.

Or you're lucky enough to have a child that is born with a total, mature notion and understanding of rules and dangers.

16. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some reputation around.... ROFL

That is going in my signature.

17. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Should you beat up on someone 3 times smaller than you, to show who´s boss, and claim its for his/her best?

Consider this...

Adolf Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein, Mao Tse-Tung(his father claimed it was to make him a ¨real¨man), Charles Manson, and Richard Ramirez all had the shit beaten out of them as kids, as did just about every rock or heavy metal star.

When child molesters are sent to prison they usually get torn up inside because almost everyone in there was beaten or otherwise abused in some way as a kid.

All the countries with the highest rates of violent crime are where corporal punishment is practiced the most.

Corporal Punishment was stopped in high schools not because of a ¨decline in moral values,¨ but because kids began returning regularly with weapons to assault the administrator who had beaten them. Several of the school shooters had been beaten recently at the school before returning with guns to act out revenge fantasies. Its ironic people say the Colombine shooters who were bullied at school should have been beaten up more by their parents and none of that would have happened.

Beat your kid at your own risk. If he turns out violent, remember not to blame the gangster rap and video games, gore movies, lack of morality in society, or gun proliferation.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I am closing this thread. It was started in jest, but people are taking it too seriously.

Thanks,

Sachin