Should I beat my son?

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by bojendyk, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm not sure if you're on the wind-up. Did this actually happen to you?

No-one's ever beaten me!

2. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let's get this donkey on the road

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In all seriousness, yes. Corporal punishment was the state of things where I grew up. Obviously, some adults handled it responsibly (like my family), while others were just child abusers.

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Nasty. I might change my views on this when my child gets older but I reckon I can control him without beating him. Besides I've never beaten anyone in my life, I don't think I could even bring myself to do it.

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    And then you grew up to become a lobbyist.

6. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm no longer a lobbyist. Despite my upbringing, I couldn't take the ass-whippin anymore.

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too.

HBO recently had Richard Pryor's second (I think) stand up film on, and our 15 year old was watching it with us (and damn near died laughing). Pryor's got bit in there about being sent by his mother to cut a switch for his own beating and after that was over our son turned and asked if we had to do anything like that. He was totally shocked to hear the answer was yes for both of us.

8. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Yes.

And since he hasn't been born yet, this means you must beat your wife.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    So who's in favor of giving bojendyk a yellow card when his son kicks his ass? :)

Sachin

10. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    No way.
    If you beat up your son when he does something wrong you will end up being in prison for a very long time.
    That is physical abuse and if you tried to belt your son or any of your kids then you are insane.

11. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    Count me in.

12. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    No way. :mad:
    If anyone saw you beating the shit out of a red headed kid I reckon that you would get belted by some gang of people who hate seeing kids getting picked on by bullies such as yourself.

13. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On this topic alone, I now love this forum.

I'm with russ -- you need to learn sentences like "I don't know why I waste all of my love on someone who is so clearly undeserving."

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Do you apply the same methods to your own children, or do you take a different approach?

15. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Are you asking me if I spank my child? I haven't had to yet. I will if I think it's appropriate, but it's a last resort measure for me.

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Engvall does a bit on this very topic called "Nobody Disciplines Their Kids Anymore" on his Here's Your Sign album. I laughed my ass off, as did my parents when they first heard it. If you get the chance, I reccomend you check it out.

My dad told my brother and I a story once how he and his brother were horsing around and managed to piss off my grandfather to the point he yanked his belt off and stood over them and calmly asked the question "Ok, which end do you want?" He didn't go through with it in that instance; he later told my dad and my uncle that the look of terror on their faces was enough.

17. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the battery for a couple of peeps Humormeter has worn down.

My dad only gave me one swat. I was 13, close as I can recall. The buildup was that he told me that I had to do something and I told him to buzz off, ( "you can't tell me what to do..." ) so he hauled off a smacked me across the chops. We were in my bedroom and he knocked me into the wall and onto my bed. I was more shocked than hurt.

My mom told me later than he then went to their bedroom and wept because having to resort to that kind of treatment meant to him that he had failed to appeal to our relationship as father and son in order to get me to obey.

My opinion of corporal punishment is this: when a child is under the age that you can reason with him, a swat or two on the behind should get the message across that you mean business. After the point where you can appeal to reason, the only justification for corporal punishment is mutiny, but that must be approached with great care.

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The answer is ....YES!

But make sure you put some Mudhoney on when you do it.

19. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference between males and females is not only physical, but mental. Most guys don't pick up on social cues very well. So they need a swat every once in a while to learn right and wrong. Guilt doesn't always work and I'm not sure that's very healthy either because if used too often kids tune it out.

20. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    Violence isn't a good idea at all especially when it is around young children.
    I am hoping that the author of this thread doesn't go beating up his wife. If he does then he shouldn't be married and having kids. He really should be in prison for good.

21. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    He didn't mention the baseball bat though.

I say, just lock them into a wardrobe for a few days, together with a few very big spiders. That'll teach them and prepare them for life in America.

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    You do realize that this entire thread is in jest.

Thanks,

Your friendly moderator.

23. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    Yeah I do realise that. I forgot to add the wink at the end of it.
    ;) :p

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I see... parenting already has caused me to lose any sense of irony.

Sachin

25. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    That is a cute pic in your avatar, Sachin. Your little daughter is gorgeous.