Should he stay or should he go, That is the Question! - The Jorge Jesus Thread [R]

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Benfica4Life, Apr 30, 2011.

1. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but bayer Leverkusen of the early 00s is a better example of what happened and that didn't turn out good.

And not mad, just pointing out the difference of a winning organization and Benfica's.

2. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Let's be serious now. Any coach can be successful at Porto with PDC running things. AVB, Jesualdo, Vitor. It doesn't take much skill or talent

3. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It kind of annoys me too, because it shows the winning culture that Porto has. The winning mentality that PDC has instilled at Porto is amazing. Porto is a football machine. The good thing about the 2 year contract that we gave JJ though is that if JJ once again fails he won't get picked p for the 2nd year. Of course if that happens benfica fans will grumble that that should have happened the year before....but thus is life. I am hoping for a league title and a good run in the CL next year...anything less and he's done.

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything less and he's done? He did less this year! Anything less is status quo

5. SLB 07

SLB 07 New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Jorge Jesus should stay and create a dynasty like Alex Ferguson. He didn't win trophies every year either when he started. But I don't like losing but the man and the squad took us to a European final which didn't happen in years. We were only 1 point behind Porto and we went to the final of the cup. Its not his fault the players have to perform too and I think they were tired.

What I'm not too happy about is selling Cardozo, he was my favourite player :( .

Anyways I'm optomistic we will do better next year. Viva O SL Benfica!

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

It's true, PDC has to keep ensuring that Sporting doesn't challenge for the title year after year :p

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

It's not about what he has won. VP was getting stale. Winning the league doesn't impress PDC anymore. We need new ideas in the team and a coach who will work for the fact that he is at Porto and not the money because PDC doesn't give coaches any special bonuses. Notice how all the coaches lately are all Porto fans? Right there gives Porto an edge when facing Benfica.

8. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It's the culture of Porto that breeds success. VP was expected to win the league, he was expected to qualify for knockout stages and that still didn't satisfy. It's like when you walk in the doors you feel the need to win.

I want that at Benfica. It doesn't exist there

9. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    But I still don't like how VP was treated.
    I'm not saying he is the next Mourinho but he's decent in my humble opinion.
    He did everything that was asked of him and more.
    It wasn't his fault that a bag of pucks was picked up in January. Liedson, seriously?
    Call me old fashion, but he was a loyal soldier who had FCP's interest always in mind.
    He won two championships and deserved to be given an extension.

10. mantorras77

mantorras77 Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I can't wait for JJ to fail next season and get booted and then have that next coach come in and take us to the Europa League final and WIN and take us the Taca de Portugal final and demolish a weak team like Guimaraes and take us to Porto and get that damn draw that we need to win the league all in one season. Will be so magical! You will all be happy!

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

Yeah, I don't like how he was treated either but that's how PDC runs things. PDC is a stubborn old bastard and you know it. It's not the first time a coach is kicked out and won't be the last.
    VP was a hardcore Porto but and I'm sure he will be looking to get revenge on PDC one day.

12. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011

Wouldn't be fitting if VP returns let's say before the end of the year.

Let's face it. VP isn't going to last a year in Saudia Arabia.
    Not because of his performance I think but because of meddling from management which is chronic there.

What if Fonseca sh its his bed hands the title to Jesus and PDC hires VP back??

A long shot but stranger things have happened.

13. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011

I got to tell one thing. I honestly think SLB is the favourite to win the league next year.

Sure JJ blew his load at the end of the season, but he had Benfica playing some good football at times. If SLB is able to hang on to most of their players they are in my opinion favourites.

FCP on the other hand has a new coach with lots uncertainty surrounding him. Add, that some fundamental pieces have left or are about to leave. Let's be frank here, Moutinho's departure really changes the dynamics of this team. Who is going to replace him????

I'm a bit concerned.

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

If JJ has SLB playing the same way, FC Porto will need another perfect season with no losses. I don't see that happening next season.

15. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    JJ jumping on the European bandwagon and switching the formation system to 4-2-3-1 next season to bring more "equilibrium". So sick of this boring defensive formation played by everyone. So dull. 4-1-3-2 is much better and has been working for years for JJ.

http://www.ojogo.pt/jornaldodia/interior.aspx?content_id=3270259

16. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-2-3-1 is what he used with witsel and javi and ramires and javi

17. SLB 07

SLB 07 New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cardozo is our best player, why can't Jesus forgive him and keep him on the team. We need goals and Cardozo is the best at scoring them and will be tough to replace. Just discipline him and let him do what he does best score goals.

And why we selling Nolito, one of our best players. Jesus should be the one to go. We have a great team and now he's changing it. Look at Porto and Sporting signing good coaches and buying good players. We should get Rui Victoria from Guimaraes , he's younger and a better coach in my opinion.

Why isn't players like Miguel Rosa, Cancelo, and Andre Gomes given more chances. SL Benfica is a Portuguese club lets have at least some Portuguese players on the roster.

I'm very upset at SL Benfica. We need to keep the team the way it is and get a LB like Coentrao, Keep Garay and get a goleador if were selling Cardozo. We went very far last year and Jesus tactics messed it up.

I wanna see how we do with all these new players, there gonna take time to get used to one another.

I like Jesus but why can't you beat Porto and other clubs when it counts. You better do good this season or your gone Jesus. I'll give you one last chance, lets see what you do.

Please Keep Cardozo!
    Viva O SL Benfica!

18. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011

Sporting is signing good players?? Who? When?
    You gotta be kidding, right? As for the coach I'll give you that.
    Benfica has held it's own with it's scouting. Nothing like FCP's, but not bad at all.

As someone who doesn't support SLB, I gotta tell you Cardozo must go.
    It's a matter of principle. You don't do what he did and not suffer consequences for it.
    I couldn't care less if he scored what he scored. SLB needs to find a replacement and ship his as s off to Turkey or Russia(period)

19. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Cardozo needs to go. The disrespect he showed to Jesus was abysmal. I don't care if you love or hate Jesus, an act of definance like that from Cardozo isn't acceptable. Lets be honest, Benfica is a business and as a business Cardozo's value will decrease the older he gets. Considering our good scouting as of late, I can see us plugging in another striker and easily replicating the success Cardozo has had.

Nolito is very overrated. Theres a reason why he keeps bouncing around from club to club.

20. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    These articles are already talking about how much it'll cost Benfica to get rid of JJ...

21. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Marco Silva, Estoril coach, linked to Benfica move after JJ loses first match of the year.
    http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=422836

Already brought his name up along with Paulo Fonseca as good replacements (just after the last season started and before Paulo Fonseca signed up Porto) for JJ. I'm not opposed to him as coach. Estoril beat Nacional this season 3-1

22. 1906

1906 Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    You'll win your next game at home vs. Gil Vicente (y'all are playing Gil Vicente, right?) by a huge margin, and all will be well with the world.

23. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though I'm decently sure you're a sock ill bite. No he sucks, Benfica won't win anything of note with JJ at the helm

24. 1906

1906 Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nope, it's my honest opinion, legit.

25. 1906

1906 Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    the ******** is a sock?