Should Fútbol/ Soccer change the number of players on bench/ subs?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Jan 18, 2019.

?

Should the rules be changed ?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    94.4%
  1. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It’s 2019 should we not have 22 players available for any given game ? We should also probably boost the subs to 5 or 6 per game. However if your winning after the 75 minute you can only sub if the losing team makes a sub in order to prevent massive time wasting substitutes

Probably won’t happen anytime soon, but should it ?

2. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Just call it soccer.

And no.

Robbo Crewfan and jack sticker repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    11 bench players doesn't strike me as a bad idea like messing with the number of subs does. Would there be an exception to the proposed winning team subbing rule if it happens that one of their players gets hurt?

5. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I could get down with increasing the bench size, but the rest, no.

6. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I don't even like an extra sub during extra time

7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that adding more subs is a no-go.

I could probably accept more on the bench though. Not really necessary though. Having versatile and capable enough players on your bench is part of the challenge of putting together your roster...especially in MLS.

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22? You sure it’s not an 18-man gameday roster?

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    MLS has already been thru the "Hey, watch us revolutionize a game we don't really know jack about" stage.

No to the subs. Can we just take notes from the world and play?

Robbo Crewfan and jack sticker repped this.
  10. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What sport do you think this is? Calvinball?

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not opposed to a fourth substitution, if that’s the way they would choose to go. I’ve seen enough games where injuries have completely hamstrung a team’s ability to make tactical changes. But it’s not something I feel strongly about.

I was always in favor of having the additional substitution for games that go beyond 90 minutes. It always made sense to me that if you’re going to play a competition that goes beyond the normal length of time, going beyond the normal number of substitutions was good for the game.

The one thing that I think does need to change, and I believe they will eventually do this, is to allow for temporary substitutions when players with potential head injuries are being evaluated. Rugby already does it. You frequently hear them talking about an HIA — a Head Injury Assessment. That would require some oversight to make sure things aren’t manipulated unfairly, but I’d like to see it.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Totally on board with an HIA type thing. And yes, you'd definitely have to keep an eye out for gaming the system.

Aaron d repped this.
  13. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My idea is to eliminate the penalty kick shootout and make third and all other overtimes sudden death with additional substitutions.

Also, let teams sub one additional player in each of the first two overtimes.

14. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think major rule changes are not a good idea, neither is "the rest of the world does it this way". This is America.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "The rest of the world does it this way" isn't a good idea, period, or it isn't a good idea because this is America? IMO it'd be very nice if we just sat tf in on some things instead of trying to run them.

16. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think it would be a good idea to adopt different substitution rules for playoff-final type games to avoid penalty kick rock-paper-scissors endings. Not only a larger bench, but more substitutions as the extra time goes on.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  17. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general. In any other country, you could insert that country's name in place of America. Most of the world plays one season per season. Latin America plays two per season for the most part. Most of the northern hemisphere plays through the winter. Some countries are too cold, so they play in the summer. Russia, in my opinion, should go back to a summer season because they are letting what the rest of the world does keep them from adapting to local conditions.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree with all of this. But the addition of a sub is a tactical alteration, IMO. I will say that if I were for it, I'd be for it regardless of who was behind it. But I'm not for it.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Clubs would just adjust their subs and do the same thing they do now. Besides, fatigue affects both teams, and simply slows the game down as it matures. PKs are part of the game. There's something bout getting thru that last few minutes with the players you have, maybe trying to score, maybe trying to avoid being scored on, maybe neither.

I know lots of people don't agree with me on this, but I don't need or necessarily want to see the same level of energy and speed in the last ten minutes of a match as I see in the first ten.

20. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PKs may be a part of the game, but they're a part of the game that makes it illegitimate to many Americans who might otherwise consider watching. You wouldn't believe how many people go on a rant about the possibility of the world's biggest sporting event being settled by a crapshoot when they find out I'm a soccer fan.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm pleased with the way the league's grown to this point. I'm willing to allow it to grow at whatever rate it grows without much more altering of the way the game is currently played.

I'm concerned that MLS will do exactly the sort of thing you're talking about, and do irreparable damage to the game worldwide as the league becomes more popular.

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm beyond the point where I give anything resembling a damn what "many Americans" think about the sport. The sport is the sport.

I'm also not someone who subscribes to the "crapshoot/lottery/fate" narrative about PKs. Those imply that the outcomes are completely random, and that the participants have no say in the outcome.

PKs are fine. I have tweaks in mind that could level the playing field for the keepers, and I also wouldn't be opposed to replacing them with an old MLS Shootout type of event. But I'm not in favor of play-until-you-drop-or-score overtime. Soccer's not designed to be played that way.

TRUJDUB, Auriaprottu and Kyle Crew repped this.
  23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PKs are a skill and test of nerve, not simple luck. Steffen making as many saves as he has isn't luck, he's clearly has studied and has a natural talent for that aspect of the game.

Having endless NHL-style playoff OT's? No thanks. Don't wanna go to PK's? Score in normal or extra time. You have two freaking hours to do it.

Dan Milton and Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The number of substitutes usable in a competitive match has increased from zero—meaning teams were reduced if players' injuries could not allow them to play on—to one (plus another for an injured goalkeeper) in 1958; to two out of a possible five in 1988. With the later increases in substitutions allowed, the number of potential substitute players increased to seven.[14] The number of substitutes increased to two plus one (injured goalkeeper) in 1994,[15] to three in 1995;[16][17] and most recently to a fourth substitute in certain competitions in extra time.[18]

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  25. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So the game has evolved and I think that once again they need to make changes Worldwide. I disagree with the thought that 3 subs should not be changed. At the very least i would go with 4 subs and a 5th in extra time. But I would certainly make teams winning only allowed to sub after the 75th minute when the other team makes changes to prevent time wasting substitutes