Should Atlanta and company push for higher salary cap/more DPs?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering we are fortunate enough to have an ownership base that is willing to invest in the club, including a few others, Red Bull, Seattle, Toronto, etc... should we try to push for a higher salary cap and DP? I can’t help but feel a little disappointed that we buy Pity and then have to turn around and have to sell one of our big three.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As I've said on another thread I don't want MLS to lose their tendency toward parity. Atlanta not only has the extra money but they can showcase the support, the training ground, and the stadium all as selling points to let potential stars see they're coming to an ideal setting. Atlanta may lack the glitz of LA or NY but for players looking to maximize their ability to develop and win Atlanta is as good a destination as you'll find in MLS. (May that never change!) This alone means regardless of budget restrictions Atlanta can compete for talent and maximize offers. So whatever is best for the league and gives every team in MLS a chance to rebuild and prosper I'm all for that.

As for the format, we all want to see MLS teams have bigger budgets eventually and this will include slowly moving toward more uniform and simplified general caps (I suspect), so I'm not against either format at the moment.

3. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't know about another DP spot but definitely not do what is rumored to happen about reducing them to 2 DPs. And yes, certainly raise the cap which I think will happen if MLS joins CL/CS.

Eleven Bravo repped this.