Shot help

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by MostValuablePoster, Aug 2, 2002.

1. MostValuablePoster

MostValuablePoster New Member

Jun 22, 2000
    For as long as i can remember i can't shoot without the ball curving. It always spins to the right (i'm lefty). Does anybody know what i am doing wrong and what i need to do to fix this.

2. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I'm not a lefty, but I seem to recall a friend of mine complaining about the same thing (I also seem to recall a similar comment being made about left-handers playing tennis and how they serve with more natural spin). So, it may be that you have some innate characteristics to overcome. That said, you should be able to correct it/improve it with some work.

If you're curving the ball, it probably has something to do with where you're striking the ball and with your kicking motion. Try and concentrate on some of the following:

Striking the ball with your instep directly in the center of the ball. (It may be that your natural inclination is to step slightly closer to the ball than you should so that you are striking it more on the outside - it may be unnatural at first, but try to place your non-kicking foot further away from the ball when you kick).

Keep your follow through with your kicking foot toward the goal or whatever other target you are trying to kick the ball to. You want your kicking foot to go straight through the ball. If your kicking foot ends up on the other side of your right foot (meaning that it cuts across the front of your body), it would make sense that the ball might be spinning in that direction.

Obviously, without seeing you kick, I'm just going, but give it a shot and see what happens. And remember that this may feel very unnatural to you, since it will be doing things completely different than you are used to, and it may even be that you will feel that you don't have as much power initially, but give it some time and see how it goes. If find that you are able to kick the ball with less spin, trust that the power will return over time as you become more accustomed with this new shooting motion. (And, of course, don't throw the old method out, as a lot of people would die for that beautiful left-footed banana kick).

Good luck.

3. calcioguy9

calcioguy9 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Wisconsin, USA
    i used to have the problem, but im a righty, so it was the other way around. i was kicking in between my laces and inside of my foot, and kicking in a circular motion. when i started kicking straight, i found a good deal of more power, but accuracy took a while, as i was used to the curve. if i want a lot of power in a straight line, i just hit the ball as squarely as i can. but dont leave your bender, it'll serve you well. especially if you can control it.

4. seanjs8

seanjs8 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    If you are left footed, bring your right arm across your body during your followthrough. If you are right footed, bring your left arm across your body. Not only does this force you to shoot the ball straight and accurately, it also adds more power to your shot by including your abs in the shot.

Also, experiment with the placement of your planting foot and where you strike the ball. Once you can control where you strike the ball and the mechanics of your followthrough, you are dangerous anywhere on the field with the ball at your feet.