Shoe recommendations

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Beau Dure, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm spending all the money I made this fall on physical therapy for my Achilles. It wasn't torn, but my doctor said, "Yeah, it's a good thing you canceled that last day of AR assignments."

I surely need new shoes. I had been using the same turf shoes I used when I played indoor, and I thought they were OK. I started wearing basic athletic shoes (tennis-ish) later in the season -- coincidentally, my son tore a hole in his shoes with a couple of weeks to go in his final season, and he fortunately happens to be my shoe size now, so my turf shoes were bestowed to him.

Any recommendations?

And yes, I do plan to spend the fall season centering U9 and U10 rather than chasing U16s down the line.

dadman repped this.
  2. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I've found trail running shoes provide the best mix of comfort/support and traction. I personally use New Balance 510s because they're cheap and all black and available in wide for my fat feet but I'd go with whatever brand fits best.

Schlager repped this.
  3. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I have New Balance MT410s for dry fields, Under Armour football cleats for wet fields. I have a hard time finding something for my size 15 feet. The only issue I have with the New Balances is the mesh top that lets in cold air. Otherwise the traction and comfort is exceptional.

4. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wear (mostly) Salomon Ultra trail running shoes now. They work on wet or dry grass or plastic. They are a little heavy but more than make up for it in support.

Schlager repped this.
  5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I agree on trail running shoes. My wife (a runner) convinced me that the way to get them was to go to the local running store. At the running store, they look at gait and how you use your feet, not just what size your foot is. Based on that, he made a few recommendations to try--and I've been really happy with the ones I got--which I use on turf and grass (the only times I would break out my actual cleats would be on a muddy grass field). The ones I got are an all black Salomon--but the real key is getting ones that work best with your foot shape and running style.

6. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're in Vienna, I would visit Potomac River Running Store. They're good people and I believe they help with trail running shoes. Tell them your achilles has been having some issues and they can help you or at least give you a shoe recommendation. I will say, if you're having achilles issues I would stay away from the typical Adidas Mundial Team turf shoes. They are super sturdy, but they do put a lot of stress on the achilles.

dadman repped this.
  7. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Rep on all of the trail running shoe recommendations. Here is what I use:
    I wear Salomons around off of the field, and found a pair in black for refereeing.

Soccer Dad & Ref and Geko repped this.
  8. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I have a hard time having a “one size fits every situation” but if you were to want a comfortable shoe that manages the broadest range of conditions, it would be trail runners. Enough stability for side to side, enough structure in the toe box for cutting and stopping.

But they as a rule are somewhat heavier than a “regular” running shoe, and the bulky soles make side stepping a little clumsy.

So I have soccer turfs, cleats, trail runners, flats, minimal runners. It sounds like a lot but it’s not like you’re gonna grow out of them. I often won’t decide the shoe until I see what the field condition is, as some fields are super firm a day after a rain and some are still squishy. Sometimes a dry field is slick with dew early. Very often if a pair gets wet, I’m glad to have a dry pair to put on to be comfortable in a second or third game. In a super competitive game I just stick to cleats or turfs- they are the only ones that allow me to exploit any “agility” I have left.

If all you are doing is u little centers on dry grass or turf, just get the lightest, best breathing, comfiest thing you can find, like some Nike free runs. If you have mixed conditions and want one pair that will manage, trail runners.

Given your orthopedic history, I wonder if some hoka one ones wouldn’t baby your Achilles the best. They do have trail versions. I have never used them personally but I can’t tell you how many people have told me they are the best thing for their <insert whatever body part>. They are pricey and don’t last super long, but may be cheaper than your copays for PT!

TimB4Last, Geko and dadman repped this.
  9. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a couple people who use the speedcross, and they're a great shoe. The speed laces make for even pressure along the upper so you don't get tendinitis after a couple games of tight-fighting shoes. That's one problem I had with Puma Kings for a while. If you have a wide foot, you're really not going to like these, though. I've had three pairs of Salomons over the years and I love them cause I have narrow feet. I can't imagine having wide feet and wearing them.

10. Soccer Dad & Ref

Oct 19, 2017
    San Diego
    Double, triple, rep the Salomon Speedcross 4. Super comfortable for running, and the tread is perfect for any field. Also, they are washable (used them for mud runs also), so another bonus. Not cheap, but worth every penny

dadman and Geko repped this.
  11. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    They do come in a wide version: (I have not yet tried these myself)
    https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/speedcross-4-wide.html#1191=9889

Geko and IASocFan repped this.
  12. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve heard multiple people say it’s good to wear two totally different types of shoes to alter pressure points, etc. my two primary shoes while centering are the Speedcross 4s and the Adidas Rockadias (I.e. “The Penso shoe”).

When I’m on the line, I usually wear the Diadora turf shoes since they have more of a soccer profile and I’m doing more cutting and quick changes of direction. I sometimes wear the Speedcross shoes on the line.

14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I will often switch between my Team turfs and Copa cleats between games, if only so I limp differently.

15. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I’ve been told cleats for lines and whatever’s comfortable for when I’m in the middle

But I usually almost always wear trail runners. If I have to pull out my cleats then it’s a bad day.

I did start wearing my runners for 4ths.

16. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Two full size lines on turf tomorrow. Rain overnight so likely a wet field. Cleats, trail runners, or sneakers?

17. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    How long are the games and what are their skill levels?

18. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    We used to go to the Reston store before they opened here. Will have to swing by.

19. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    90 minutes each, SCCL. Above Select and below ECNL. U17 boys & U17 girls.

20. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I have to say I don't much like side-stepping in my cleats.

21. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Lol it is true the 10 millionth time you hit that ankle bone with your other shoe- ouch

YoungRef87, JeffG and Geko repped this.
  22. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ohhh, id go trail runners. You’ll be on your feet both games for extended periods of time. Although, maybe do what another poster said and wear cleats first game trail runners second maybe? I don’t know how much time you have between matches.

Have fun on both matches and warm up / stay warm!

voiceoflg repped this.
  23. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    I thought I was the only klutz who did this!
    Gonna have to check out the Speedcross, now that my several pair of Asics lacrosse/turf shoes are starting to wear out...

24. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmmm.... So you guys really like those Salomons? I have worn my Adidas Mundials for the last 4 seasons. My second pair has finally bit the dust after this last fall season. I was about to just order up another pair, but I am not unwilling to rethink that.

Has anyone worn both and given pros and cons of each? I haven't had issues with the Adidas, but I know they aren't the lightest boots out there and I have never needed any other shoe. In some REALLY muddy fields this fall I still felt pretty steady. I wasn't slipping anymore then they kids with their $400 cleats anyway.

Make up my mind people!!!

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Honestly, I think my Copa cleats (same ones I play in) are the most comfortable pair of shoes I have. Use them on grass in almost any condition (hard dry field being the exception). I have a pair of Nike (wide) running sneakers for turf.