Shocking Transfer Time?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SeventhRowScreamer, Aug 1, 2017.

1. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Kellyn Acosta looking for a transfer this summer?
    You inside guys know anything?

2. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Yes, he is. He's been up front about that for some time. When he was on the show last winter with Victor, he told us he was ready to go to Europe, wanted to and "when it happens, it happens". He also told us (and I can't remember if this was on/off air) if that meant in the middle of the MLS season, he'd be fine with that too.

He recently told a MLS reporter he wanted a move this summer if there was one. I suspect the full context of the conversation was probably something more like, "hey Kellyn, if a Euro club came calling in August, would you go..." and he answered from there. It's also possible his agent has gotten an inquiry or two and that's got his engine fired up.

This is going to be FCD's never ending problem: Wanting to be a quality selling club when it's best players are at their highest value and most desirable in the middle of the MLS season.

I personally don't think a deal will happen this summer, and even a winter move is largely up to how the rest of his 2017 MLS season and USMNT team appearances go from here. His Gold Cup performances appear to have cooled his value just a bit.

3. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insight.
    I don't think it's too early for him to leave for higher level soccer but I do think his best place to prepare for the 2018 World Cup is in Frisco.

4. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been thinking that from an FCD point of view Acosta may have had the perfect Gold Cup. He was good enough to get starts, pick up more international experience. No injuries. But he made enough mistakes to keep his value down externally. I think it's a short-term dip in his value, and over the longer term he'll show his value. Here's hoping we keep him for the rest of this season.

SeventhRowScreamer and burning247 repped this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to MLS Transfers there are three clubs interested in Acosta - FC Copenhagen, PSV and an unnamed German club. Also remember every coach thinks that they alone are the one who can fix any players shortcomings. Any guess on his worth? If I'm FC Dallas I'd like him to go where he will excel the most but add a sell on clause so he doesn't have to go to the highest bidder. Those are always lousy English teams where our prospects (usually) go to die.

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    FC København just made it to the Champions League play-off's, which will secure them at least $8 million from UEFA and so they now will be trying to sign one or two reinforcements and they could surely use a talented hard working box-to-box midfielder right now ... btw .. FCK already got 19 players earning a minimum $480k or more a year... so i guess that would be equivalent to 19 designated players in MLS ? ...

7. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most European first division teams have higher paid players than MLS teams.

8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    What makes the difference in Europe is not how much you are able to pay your 2-3 best players, but how much you are able to pay your weakest links in your team, because a team is never better than it's weakes links... when you have 19 players earning around $500k or more, then that will reflect in how you are able to do in the Europa Cup's ... I'lll go as far as to say, that this is the main reason why FC København manage to qualify for either the Champions League or Europa League group stage every season (they have only missed out once since 2006-07 )

9. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    interesting that Kellyn sat last night. Surely it's all about resting him and nothing about his comments about wanting a transfer now. right?

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure they didn't help. I'm not stupid and know that FCD is not the end of the road in his career but his comments rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure they did the same to Pareja.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think he answered a question someone asked him but I don't foresee him forcing anything like Castillo did.

12. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    My sources tell me FCD has signed a South American player.

13. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not kidding either. DP level, depending on the transfer fee. Lesser known club, great attacking numbers.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does he dislodge Barrios or Lamah or is he just a backup?

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw some footage of him and he does remind a bit of Castillo with that nervous twitchy at speed dribbling. Carter Baum mentioned he could see some time at left back but I'm going to guess that might be when behind. He should be a big change of pace as a sub and could give teams fits as to how to prepare for FCD. If nothing else I bet everyone plays harder now with a new signing breathing down their necks.

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah. I loved Lamah's scoring touch there for a while but he's gone cold again, so this will either be the kick in the ass he needs or it will be a nice alternative. Good business. Let's hope he acclimates faster than Colman.

17. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He is very versatile, capable of playing both wings and attacking midfielder. This guy combined for 33 goals or assists in 40 games last season, and was actually very consistent. 16 goals or assists in his 1st 20 games, 17 goals or assists in his final 20 games.

18. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Good for him and his family. Venezuela is a mess right now. Its a good time to be on visa.

TxEx repped this.
  19. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Carter must know something because there is ZERO evidence this guy has ever played a defensive position before.

20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Carter replied to you on Twatter saying it was just his speculation based off of Papi putting Hollingshead and Atiba there. Then again, he is a mouthpiece for the team so who knows?

21. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So color me excited. Cariaco is in midseason form, and was his team's "Magic Unicorn". They ran their entire attack through him.
    They finished 6th place in the Apertura (1st half of the season), and Caraico had 7 goals with 4 assists.
    He guided them to the Apertura playoffs final, which he missed the deciding match due to card accumulation. That was July 2, and he's played 3 games since, before joining FCD.
    He's a left winger, but he'd switched centrally midgame if the team was having problems getting him the ball.

MLS player Cariaco most resembles- Lee Nguyen.

Cariaco took all corners, took all set pieces, took penalty kicks, had an assist off a deep throw-in, and excells dribbling through heavy traffic, good at drawing fouls in dangerous locations.

Furthermore, Cariaco is a player on the ascent. He was a Super Sub in Cariacas, then moved on and became the focal point in Managas SC.

He forced the move to MLS, believing it will give him a better chance to get more national team callups.

schlomo repped this.
  22. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the newbie here yet? If so, has anyone seen him practice?

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's probably waiting to get his Visa sorted out. I didn't see him as Lee Nguyen because he seemed to have lots of pace. Maybe didn't see enough highlights but he reminded me of Castillo with his mazy, jittery dribbling at pace.

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    SeventhRowScreamer and EricSunRa repped this.