Shirt Sponsor

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by DynamoManiac, Jun 23, 2014.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has to be some company that wants to billboard their logo and company on our team, specifically as you speak of with so many Houston market area companies that are doing well here in 2018.

I had forgotten about RocNation and their signing on to "help" grow our Dynamo brand. Great.

And of course our FO and marketing arm of our FO knew for months that the BHP contract was up. Which is why not lining up a new sponsor, even if the name and money is not BHP level, at least throw a bone to a mid level, locally owned company that is all in for our Houston Dynamo team and image. Heck even Whataburger with their orange image could be placed on the center of our Naranja shirt with great ease.

jvilla07 repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One problem they will have is companies set sponsorship and marketing budgets in the early Fall if they are on a calendar year basis. Now many aren’t on a calendar year basis but that money can be hard to score if not already budgeted.

It does seem Dynamo struggle in this areas

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It’s all about the synergy.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s all about diversity and being representative of Houston :D

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    They aren't that smart and more pointedly they squeeze every penny til it screams so loud 911 gets called by Eastside neighbors. Regarding not that smart, it is sadly true that (a) they created a jersey ill-suited to sponsor placement (emphasize the rainbow in the jersey which is right where a sponsor name normally should be) but (b) badly want one for obvious reasons. So I don't buy this was a planned buzz strategy. Dereliction of duty to the point fans start asking what for, is not a PR strategy. Having it already sewn up and check in the bank and sitting on it til game 2 might be. But we admitted we're screening candidates so we couldn't have planned this.

Isn't this the sort of thing that hip hop marketing deal was supposed to cinch?

What I don't understand is we're a low budget business and yet this revenue stream isn't lined up. As I understand it BHP wanted out and didn't even take their negotiation period to try and renew. So we had a few months plus all offseason and yet we're back to the pattern of summer shirt sponsor announcements.

One explanation that suggests itself is that we are skeletally staffed and/or decline to delegate such that the FO literally works on a thing at a time and doesn't want to cede it to some subset of the team or firm we hire, who would probably have gotten this done by March. We do offseason personnel. We get the team and stadium set. We do the sponsor deal. We do the summer pickups. One. At. A. Time. It's not horrifying and I do want each task done right, but it takes longer this way and I am sure the Big Clubs of the world do something more like walking and chewing gum at once.

jvilla07 repped this.
  7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After gutting our more well paid and soccer savvy staff 3 years ago, to now have what we have in high turnover in our FO, fresh from college staff and the famous self patting on the back head honchos, this explanation here seems legit.

jvilla07 and MLSNHTOWN repped this.
  8. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe when they get the extra sponsor money they can afford the STH name plates on the seats and extra employees to hand out freebies at more than one exit.

Jerks

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this goes beyond about July 1st its an epic failure - or it says companies think the same things about the Dynamo FO and Ownership that many of us do.

They hired RocNation over a year ago to help and while there may have been some delay or holdback until BHP formally opted out, it was known a long time ago BHP was not renewing.

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, no jersey sponsor news yet. Maybe they are waiting for a World Cup bump or something like Fernando Torres signing here to leverage up price on potential sponsors.

Speaking of sponsors, the Dynamo and 76 have this promotion where if a goal is scored in the 76th minute everyone gets $40 of free gas. Sounds like a real neat promotion (76 I would suspect purchased insurance on the contest in case a goal is scored).

But oddly, go to the 76 station finder on their website - they have really few Houston-area stations. Its a Motiva company but most of the stations that are 76 brand are in crappy or odd locations. They've sponsored the team for a year now but there's little way to actually buy their product. I read they were going to re-launch the 76 brand in Texas but not sure what's going on with that.

Almost seems a bit like Greenstar being on the jersey.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are about at mid-year and still no jersey sponsor. Maybe they are waiting for post-World Cup to announce it in conjunction with the Dynamo signing a World Cup star :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

RocNation (assuming they are still the Dynamo sponsorship agent) is doing about as good a job on the jersey sponsorship sales as they are about bringing musical acts to BBVA Compass Stadium.

Maybe we will all be surprised, but I'm not counting on that. CashFlow FC.

CeltTexan repped this.
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It might have been rolled together all along but the Sabercats had AVEVA as the shirt sponsor for the entire 2018 regular season. The original shirt sponsor deal was announced in April.

14. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If you go an entire season without a shirt sponsor, it speaks volumes about the brand destruction. If that doesn't get people fired, nothing will.

15. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it sounds dumb, but i won't buy a jersey without a sponsor on it. My favorite is still the swoosh one with Amigo Energy on it, which I think is the best looking sponsor we've had. Are we stuffing CCs inbox with email asking WTF?

16. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless one of those emails c9mes from Brenner, does it matter?

17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I actually won't either. I know some prefer it without a sponsor, but to me that's just the way a soccer shirt is supposed to look.

MLS has a minimum shirt sponsorship amount I assume - it definitely used to, and NWSL does - so what we're very likey seeing is nobody is willing to pony up that much cash to sponsor the Dynamo. Which, like I said, is the surest sign of how badly the front office has destroyed the brand value in this town.

CeltTexan repped this.
  18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Barca for years didn't have a shirt sponsor, I feel no urge to advertise in my purchases, and I see it as a compromise of sorts. But unless BHP owed us for this season too and already paid up (and I think the opposite is true), on our budget we probably need the money and it's a missed opportunity. Kind of like, if the USMNT isn't going to have a coach for a year or perhaps more, we could have hired someone full time last year on a shorter contract.

Not a lot of what we are doing feels like we're working off a unified, efficient song sheet. Crap signings. Signings by the GM the HC doesn't seem to want, and either benches or plays wrong side of the field. Sponsor declares early last season and in the second half of this season we're still looking. On and on.

That being said, the one that irks me more is stadia sponsorship where the public and team pay for the stadium and then Big Co. comes in for comparatively miniscule money relative to cost and puts their name on it. We probably also need that money but as a taxpayer that gets under my skin.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I am the sort who if a friend needs something and I have surplus, here, have it. I know how I come across on here but it's not me. The Dynamo are the friend who holds the garage sale or tries to sell you something they ask about, and they act like it's an ebay auction for max price. I don't think they even think about what that approach does to long term relationship building. So I know nothing inside but my sense is we're trying to bargain the number up. Even if it means another risky relationship or a company that goes out of business.

To me a steady partner and money in the middle of the bandwidth are more worthwhile than holding out for more money and risk each sponsor deal. Part of the downside of their approach is every few years when the deal ends we have uncertainty and to play chicken some more. We can't just rely on a name on the jersey. How often do Portland or Vancouver have to go through this?

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    how absurd is it to have a warm up jersey sponsor you peel off to have a game jersey with nada

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are entering August without a jersey sponsor - the largest revenue billboard the team has - in a top 10 US market with 3rd highest concentration of Fortune 100/500/1000 companies. If MLS has 50% of the potential that Garber constantly talks up, the failure to find a jersey sponsor seems to be a fireable offense for a competent business. And I think if it goes much later than this for next year you run into merchandise production complications .

You'd think at this point they'd offer someone the rest of the season for free to get the next 3 years signed up.

And I don't think this is like Greenstar where the year they went blank they had gotten paid for by Greenstar out of a bankruptcy claim resolution (which I think is what happened). When they hired RocNation in FEBRUARY 2017 they cited the jersey sponsorship sales as part of the motivation and BHP I would wager would have had to give notice by at least last summer if they weren't going to renew.

Epic and sad failure

CeltTexan repped this.
  22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on this front?
    August of 2018.
    I would gladly welcome back Greenstar at this point!

Or even a local sports car dealership!

23. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I saw NBA teams start having sponsors on their jerseys. The Rockets currently don’t have a official jersey sponsor but I bet they will soon get one before the Dynamo.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two jersey sponsor items: (1) on the Generation Orange limited audience podcast/YouTube show, sales anarchist Jay Adelberg was confident in predicting the Dynamo would have a 2019 jersey sponsor and said something about the people in the office that would be in the know seemed confident or something and (2) I find it funny the Dynamo didn't explore the charity angle or self-sponsorship of the jersey for 2018 because they couldn't re-print the jerseys during the year, as if they were going to get it sold sometime for the 2018 season.

An absolute sponsorship disaster

Victor Araiza
    I asked @ChrisCanetti at the beginning of the season if the team would consider self-avertising on the jersey (similar to @realmadrid w/ their website when they didn't have a jersey sponsor). He said once they print on the jersey, they wouldn't be able to change till next season.

25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Are you seriously telling me this is because they didn't want to touch their stock of team shop jerseys? They don't have someone with one of those presses capable of screening the existing ones? How do numbers and names get on now?

I mean I bought a CFC jersey back when I was over there and they put the player name and number on in front of me in the team shop. Much less what the equipment people could do.

Telling you, amateur hour.