Shirt Sponsor

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by DynamoManiac, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is once they put a sponsor on the jersey and Adidas/Fanatics produces them MLS won’t allow a team to change. Now I’m sure if a team had Papa Johns on the front the league would allow a change because all the SJWs would pressure them to.

Once again, there’s always a price on everything and if the Dynamo got a great sponsor, they’d eat the cost to change. It’s like local streaming, they could have bought the rights from the league or modified whatever deal they have with the KUBE to accommodate it but since it costs money the Dynamo don’t do it

2. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    or perhaps the Houston Dynamo didn't want to associate themselves with such a poorly run outfit like the Houston Dynamo.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I would favor a cheapness explanation over a MLS rule. Why would MLS limit team income like that? I could see them saying, if it goes past x date you have to wait til you deplete your stock/re-order or y date to get sponsor shirts. I can't imagine they'd tell the teams if there's not sponsor by February 20 then you can't have one this year.

Taken literally it would be penny wise and pound foolish, to forego $2 million so as not to lose back $100k or whatever a shirt reprint might be. $0 sponsor < $2 million - $100k.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    As I said pages back, it's absurd you take off a 76 practice jersey to wear a no sponsor game jersey.

You'd think if we were stuck for this season we'd strike some nice deal with 76 for a year.

It's particularly absurd because we are such money grubbers run for profit that it's like the least you could do is secure your income streams. You'd think a team like this, even if it was cheap with the fans and players, would be milking all the udders.

5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We know they do because BHP signed on as a sponsor mid-season, and they allowed fans that purchased a shirt that year without the sponsor name on it to bring the shirt in and have the sponsor name pressed on the shirt.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m gonna guess the shirt print hassles are so Adidas and/or Fanatics don’t get stuck with unsold inventory

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It would be penny wise and pound foolish to give up seven figures to avoid having a five or six figure expense for having to, say, buy and donate the obsolete jerseys.

Kind of like I have argued that moderate, controlled payroll increases would probably pay for themselves in crowds, playoffs, and other games. In contrast keeping salaries tight and the team barely competitive at all is steadily eroding revenue. I thought the Astros definitively disproved cheapness as business plan.

And big picture you'd think that a team holding the line on payroll at the risk of ticket and merch revenue would be ensuring it was getting money from various other sources as well.

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on Juve.

Again, spot on. I have advocated the same.

Correct.
    The lessoned learned is that our Astros are located only a Biggio base hit down Texas Avenue from our Dynamo and yet our Astros are light years apart in business plan.

Shocking! I know!!!

9. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might as well close this thread down until the new year.....

Noone is going to volunteer to sponsor this team now.... We are a losing side that isn't putting asses in the seats. There is no upside to anyone placing their name on this team right now.

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on Reddit posted a Wikipedia screenshot since removed that had Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers as our 2019 sponsor. Could have been total fake news posting by a Wikipedia editor.

But it also brings me back to this article from last year:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/02/21/Franchises/Dynamo.aspx

What is Roc Nation actually doing or what have they done? We have no jersey sponsor, no BBVA events, nothing. Maybe something huge we don’t know about but they signed this deal 18 months ago and we know of nothing accomplished.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dynamo/comments/9btu0h/jersey_sponsor_source_on_this/

11. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the folks on that show can ask next time they've a guest?

12. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Called it.

1052233642599174144 is not a valid tweet id

CeltTexan repped this.
  13. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing 10% of the stadium wearing Daikin shirts yesterday, I think it's close to being a lock that they will be our jersey sponsor. They opened a HUGE complex in Hockley last year so I guess they sort of have a houston connection(?)

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Daikin lists the headquarters of Daikin North America, LLC as being in Waller, TX. They also have a subsidiary, Goodman Manufacturing, headquartered on San Felipe in Houston. Daikin bought Goodman in 2012 and pumped a lot of money into it. I believe they are making Goodman their U.S. residential brand. The shirt will probably say Daikin but Goodman is also a possibility.

7seven7 repped this.
  15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to a Daikin person on Dynamo Reddit it was just a corporate day out.

Another poster there says it’s a hospital which meshes with something said about “Memorial Hermann won’t be happy” on this board.

At the end of the day, anything short of Whataburger or a cool tech company or a company that gives perks to Dynamo fans will be a disappointment to many. Me? Whoever cuts a good check AND the team actually spends that money is fine. The team will overhype the crap out of whoever it is.

I just really, really, really hope it is a company like Daikin or someone industrial just to hear Chris Canetti talk about how they “check all the boxes” and how the team will attempt to integrate the company’s products into their daily lives. The Greenstar stuff is still gold to me.

7seven7 repped this.
  16. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i don't get it.

even the stuffy companies now have the in-house millennial advertising employee or the trendy boutique advertising agency. in the advertising clutter everyone is looking for the unique and new way to get their name out there. you can throw a rock from the Dynamo offices and hit a hundred of these companies and we cant find one??? do we really think we're too good for 76? at this point with how much the Dynamo brand has been devalued, a local 'Stop & Rob' or a by the hour 'Diamond Inn" will do.

El Naranja repped this.
  17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No, they had a corporate outing yesterday. Daikin people say they aren't sponsoring the team.

7seven7 repped this.
  18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There is a league minimum sponsorship amount for a shirt. If you can't find anyone to pay that, you can't go bargain basement on selling the front of the shirt.

That said, according to Canetti they signed a shirt sponsor a couple of months ago but decided to wait until next season for it to start. Apparently he's never heard of the time value of money, which wouldn't surprise me since his education consists of a bachelors degree in communications. Granted, always possible there was some payment from the previous sponsor that would have had to be paid back of they had a sponsor this year.

*rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    BTW, there are reports that MLS is going to allow teams to also sell shirt sleeve sponsorships in 2019.

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Westside Cosmo and *rey* repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without seeing the deal we can't know for sure, but I believe they knew back in spring 2017 that BHP was backing out (2018 & 2019 were option years on the sponsorship which likely had renewal triggers no later than summer 2017 for merchandise purposes). It may have been in that RocNation article.

They will sell the whole thing as "we waited to get the best deal" and "we wanted the right partner" when reality is probably that they couldn't sell the sponsorship last year for 2018. Or maybe they were just too busy getting the top notch musical acts lined up for the 2018 concert series at BBVA Compass Stadium (oh, wait . . . . )

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    If you think about it in terms of basic math, you lose conservatively $2 million in shirt sponsor for a year, like money you won't get that season, and even if you look at it over time, another team that takes a minimal $2 million each year, you could beat that by $500k for your deal ($2.5 million), and the lost year means you only catch up on revenue in year 5. And you'd think the greed-heads would understand this sort of math implicitly. You can't literally take a year off.

Also, while in theory we could finally settle in with a big name with a reliable business, that in practice we seem to go fly-by-night. Even BHP was just kind of testing the waters of expanding their business here. So while in theory maybe this time could be spent on finding reliable and doing due diligence, I instead expect ill considered or risky, and not for more money to justify the risk.

23. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's without taking time value of money into account. In reality, would take you more than 4 years to breakeven in real terms.

24. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief