She's Off

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by oman, Jan 29, 2007.

1. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    16 year old took her first, by herself, with licensse, drive last night.

Cheerleading practice. Nissan Altima.

I videotaped. She's tells me to turn the camera off, then rolls her window up, and drives to the end of the block. I continue to film, and then zoom in on the car. It stops, signal goes on, and it waits. A couple of cars whiz by (too fast) and then she turns the car left.

Fade out.

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sounds like a good beginning for American Pie 4.

3. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
  4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... so was it a good feeling or bad feeling? on the plus side, you don't have to play taxi, on the bad side you're sitting at home worrying until she pulls back in.

5. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    For mom it's going to be negative for awhile.

For me it was bittersweet, which is a feeling that doesn't bother me all that much. Things like this make me feel vaguely sad but also really alive -- part of the circle of life nonsense.

The interesting thing about this kid is that she is tiny (4 10", about 90 pounds). Being able to drive is a big deal to her -- really empowering. I guess it was for me too.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, man, oman!

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, in an old-fashioned sense of the word.

What got me when my son drove himself for the first time were two looks on his face. One was the big grin on his face when he settled behind the wheel and the other was glimpse of something like self-doubt as he actually pulled away from the house.

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my youngest just got her license about two months ago. That day I let her take the car to work. She came home that night and said everyone on the road must have thought she was strange because the whole time driving she had a stupid ear to ear smile on her face and giggled the whole way. She is the smartest of the 3 girls I have, probably the most responsible too but for some reason I get more frightened when she is out than the other two. Maybe because she is the baby.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been there, 3 times,,,,,,,makes you feel old, feel scared, feel happy and proud all the same time

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the first time I drove by myself. I was so dang nervous that I was sweating like a mofo. Of course, it also could've been the fact that it was August in Alabama and I didn't have air conditioning in my car. :D

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Air conditioning made a big difference in NC, too. Especially on date night--my girlfriend was a lot more willing to go parking if I had the car with AC.

12. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    When I first drove by myself I didn't think anything of it. I appear to have missed the significance.

13. Cabster22

Cabster22 New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Washington, DC
    OMG... I wasn't that nervous when I had my permit and was driving with my parents... but the first time I drove by myself I was scared to death. I remember thinking that I was in no way responsible enough to be driving. My little sister can get her permit in 6 months and its just scary thinking that shes legally allowed to drive. :eek:

14. forzaboston

forzaboston New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Washington, DC
    i would think it would be intimdating to be driving your first time and be videotaped.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

"Aren't you nervous man? What if you ******** up with all of those people watching?"