shenzhen FC exit, welcome Shenzhen kingway

Discussion in 'China' started by seb_perpignan, Feb 20, 2006.

1. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    New title sponsor for Shenzhen
    2006-02-19 20:05:20 www.sinosoc.com

Shenzhen, Feb. 20(Sinosoc) -- Shenzhen FC will be renamed Shenzhen Kingway after the part Heineken-owned beer producers from Guangdong province pumped RMB40m into the debt-ridden club.

At a press conference on Sunday, Shenzhen FC general manager Meng Qingseng announced that Kingway Beer has signed a contract worth RMB40m to become the club's new title sponsor. "With Kingway's investment Shenzhen will solve its financial problems," said Meng, who did not confirm whether Kingway will take over the running of the club.

By selling off key players to CSL opposition, Shenzhen owners Huizhong Tianheng Group have recouped some of the huge losses racked up by previous owners Jianlibao Group. But before Kingway's involvement the club was still some RMB20m in debt despite the close-season moves of ex-international striker Yang Chen to newly promoted Xiamen Lanshi, China captain Li Weifeng to Shanghai Shenhua, and national team goalkeeper Li Leilei to Shandong Luneng.

Kingway Beer was jointly-established by Guangdong Holding Ltd. and Heineken. Their injection of fresh cash will effectively see Shenzhen survive extinction, a fate that Sichuan Guangcheng recently failed to escape.

Heineken, which owns stakes in a number of Chinese breweries, has been actively involved in the sponsorship of Chinese sport in recent years, with investment in events such as the ATP Heineken Shanghai Open.

2. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Finally they got money~ hopes that could help them avoid relegation

3. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    How does a Chinese league team make money anyways ... only from tickets? I doubt they sell a lot of merchandise, dunno how tv deals work in China...

4. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Who will take the place of Sichuan Guangcheng in CSL for 2006?

5. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    It's gotta be just tickets and tv...There is very little money in merchandising and so I think the majority of teams are just run by huge companies as playthings where either losses are accepted or the company puts no money into the team. I don't think anything can save Shenzhen from relegation this year.

6. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    It's amazing how this team made it to the semi finals in ACL while close to relegation in CSL

This only proves one thing, CSL is too good, even the crappy teams are making to the semis in ACL.

I am excited to see Dalian Shide and Shanghai Shenhua beat the daylights out of J-League and K-league teams. ha ha ha

Goooooooooooo CSL

7. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Agree~ Considering Shenhua has no reason not to enter Quarter Final~ Hope to see a all Chinese Final~ Of course~ Dalian Will win :D

8. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Not really so amazing, Shenzhen was in extreme turmoil last year financially. The team was struggling in the league and I think that the majority of players basically gave up. However, the ACL offered 2 things very important to them: national glory and MONEY. Therefore, they were more than willing to give it their all in those ACL games in a way that they lost interest in CSL games.