Shengqing Qu Re-Signs for Adelaide United

Discussion in 'China' started by Suvlaco, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There was talk of this before he went back to China last season. He wanted his daughter to be brought up in the Australian education system. It's mainly his wife, she had a difficult time settling here apparently.
    Also thought I'd mention that he arrived at 6:30 on Saturday morning here in Adelaide!

2. Dannyd

Dannyd Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Don't expect him to play in the pre-season final I'd imagine ....

I'm gonna take a trip back up the coast for it :)

3. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Stupid, stupid woman.

4. Dannyd

Dannyd Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Why? Of course it is his choice ultimately whether he wants to take up the opportunity to become an Aussie.

However, as a China supporter (which I am assuming you are) wouldn't you look at it as a sort of abandonment? Afterall, as I understand it, China does not allow dual nationalities and so taking up Australian citizenship means effectively throwing away his Chinese citizenship. To say she (Qu's wife) was silly in her decision is to suggest a preference (in my opinion) for Australia over China. If that is the case, why support China at all?

I know in my case I wouldn't give up my citizenship to my country for anything in the world. If I did, I wouldn't have deemed it logical to support 'my' country. Or perhaps I am sitting here trying to think about ANYTHING but the structural analysis work sitting in front of me....

5. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    I'm not a Chinese citizen anymore, so I'm partial to this debate. But I still think many Chinese would like to work/live in Australia. As a selfish football fan, Qu's not an international anymore, so he can go promulgate the wonders of Chinese football in Australia.

I think Qu's wife is silly because I was 99.99% sure that he would eventually return to Adelaide, either for footballing reasons or for residence/citizenship reasons. Presently, Australia is still a much better country than China, in my Americanized opinion of course.

6. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Wow, a nationalistic aussie. a very rare thing in this age of globalization.
    Something your countrymen such as Josip SIMUNIC and Christian Vieri can learn from.

7. Dannyd

Dannyd Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    At what point then are you American? Don't mean to be grilling you here, but I'm looking for a keener understanding. The way I see it, if Qu Shengqing were to want to get Aussie citizenship then he has essentially traded in his old car for a new one.

So then, yourself for example, if you swapped your Chinese citizenship for American citizenship, then I would assume it is because you prefer America. Why then would you continue to support the team that represents the country that you no longer wished to be a part of?

As for Josip Simunic, he is now enemy number 1 here, but I tell you what- after the disgraceful way in which he conducted himself at the world cup, I'm glad he isn't playing for Australia. Pre-world cup, alot of Simunic criticism might have come coupled with the disppointment that he is Australian, representing another nation, learnt his trade at the Australian Institue of sport and we could have done with a defender of his talent on the field. After seeing him on the field I'd actually loathe to see him in the green and gold.

Vieri is a difficult one he wasn't born in Australia and while he picked up on alot of things Australian like cricket, I guess the strong influence of his fathers history etc was strong enough to lure him away. His brother Max (not a shade on his brother) played for Australia.

I wonder how many years Qu has to keep his old bones moving in the A-League to get Aussie citizenship :p

8. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Apparently Qu's family may be moving back here in an attempt to permanently settle in Adelaide. Would be good to have him here :)

Also:

9. Steven_W

Steven_W New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Sydney
    2 very different things. And you don't really get to appreciate the difference unless you go through the experience of emigration.

Imagine if the future for you in Australia was bleak, you don't want to leave but unless you do there's probably not gonna be much in terms of work prospects for you and your kids down the line. So reluctantly, you leave for country x, you settle down and it works out well. You appreciate the social and economic benefits you've earnt whilst in country x, you feel like a fully integrated citizen, you have the piece of paper to prove it, you even support country x's football team.

But can you honestly say then...that even though your country of birth couldn't provide you with certain things you wanted, that you'd just discard all links to it? To the point of antagonism towards that country?

To avoid going too far off topic...Shengqing Qu is a top player! :D

10. Dannyd

Dannyd Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Fair enough mate. I brought it up because xfactor suggested it would be stupid of Qu not to go for Aussie citizenship and since I'm aware of China's policy on dual citizenship I thought it was a bit odd. Perhaps I look at it a bit too objectively. i.e The country in which you choose to live is your country of choice.

I thought Qu was the biggest off-season loss to the A-League when he left. Well him and Ward. It is fantastic to see him back and hopefully he can reproduce his form of last year.

11. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    It would be stupid of Qu not to go for Aussie citizenship. :)

I immigrated to the United States when I was six. Probably sports is the only arena where I would feel torn and lean towards China. It's much easier to root for China, even though they suck, because there's just more coverage and attention (in China of course). I also started to enjoy soccer through the Shanghai club Shenhua and not a MLS team.

Oh and I would bring up my children strictly as members of Sam's Army.

12. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Freedom of choice. People should have the freedom to support whichever national team they feel like to support.

13. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Where is Shenhua and his Australianized opinions?

14. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
  15. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
  16. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    Hey Dreamer, instead of complaining about lack of submarine pics, why don't you go to NSR and contribute some photos in the chinese actress thread? And yes, i guess OZ is ok. The only city in China i ever want to live in is Shanghai, the rest of the country is rubbish

17. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Not complaining. Just wondering. :D

Edit: here you go Shenhua, happy now? :D
    [​IMG]

18. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Hey Shenhua, do you follow the A-League? If yes, which club do you support?

19. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    haha, out of the big cities, Shanghai is number 1 for rubbish!

I don't even think Shanghai would make my top 5 cities to live in in China...

let's see:
    1. Qingdao
    2. Beijing
    3. Dalian
    4. Guangzhou
    5. Harbin/Chengdu/Xiamen

nope, not there...

20. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    It really doesn't matter, Qu will never play for the China MNT anyways...

21. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Who the hell? :eek:

22. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    is that Sandra Oh? If so 1. she's not from the mainland and, 2. she's not even Chinese!

23. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    haha, my bad...still, ugh, strange! Just post a few pics of Zhou Xun...

24. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    The A-league gets 0 media coverage here, so i don't really follow it. The only aussie sports team i follow is the parramatta eels, rugby league team.

25. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    Read and learn.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/22/opinion/reast.php

"There's no doubt about it, Shanghai is now the most exciting city in East Asia, usurping Tokyo's position as No. 1"

"I stand on a street corner back home and, well, it's just a street corner. In Shanghai, the streets are so vibrant, buzzing with energy, it's like the very air is reprimanding me for daring to just stand there."

BTW, I'm glad you don't like Shanghai, because the fewer xiangwoning there are in Shanghai, the better.