Sheffield Wednesday F C 2010/2011

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by IvanIV, Aug 6, 2010.

1. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sheff Wed 2 - 2 MK Dons
    Neil Mellor (69') Peter Leven (18')
    Clinton Morrison (83') Daniel Powell (27')

Goals:
    6 Mellor
    5 Morrison
    4 Miller
    3 Coke
    3 Johnson
    2 Potter
    2 Tudgay
    2 O'Connor
    2 Heffernan
    2 Reda
    2 Sedgwick
    2 Madine
    1 Buxton
    1 Beevers
    1 Teale

ASSISTS:
    6 Teale
    3 Coke
    3 Miller
    3 Sedgwick
    2 Mellor
    2 Morrison
    1 Buxton
    1 Spurr
    1 Potter

12th: 1O-6-11
    @ [​IMG]

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it all depends on what milan wants to 'sustain', doesn't it?

the fact that - given the club's current revenue streams - he bought five players for a manager on very shaky grounds suggests (to my thinking, anyway), that he's willing to operate at a deficit to get back up a division. the question is how much of a deficit.

i'm just guessing, of course, but i'd suspect that if he'll buy five for irvine, he'll be likely to spend on one or two for an undeniably stronger manager* ... even if that means selling, as well.

*assuming megson's team's performances are, in fact, stronger than irvine's were - which i sure as hell hope will be the case.

3. aarondebadajoz

aarondebadajoz New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Small Spanish footballer

Has already won his first championship with only 8 years!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRA-x5ot-LU"]YouTube - futbol cristiano ronaldo pequen?o solo 8 an?os Aaro?n[/ame]

4. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neat... but how many threads are u going to post this in?

5. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Rochdale 2 - 1 Sheff Wed
    Matt Done (15')
    Gary Jones (27')
    Madine (90')

Goals:
    6 Mellor
    5 Morrison
    4 Miller
    3 Coke
    3 Johnson
    3 Madine
    2 Potter
    2 Tudgay
    2 O'Connor
    2 Heffernan
    2 Reda
    2 Sedgwick
    1 Buxton
    1 Beevers
    1 Teale

ASSISTS:
    6 Teale
    3 Coke
    3 Miller
    3 Sedgwick
    2 Mellor
    2 Morrison
    1 Buxton
    1 Spurr
    1 Potter

14th: 1O-6-12

6. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Tranmere 3 - O Sheff Wed
    Lateef Elford-Alliyu (60')
    Ian Goodison (65')
    Enoch Showunmi (81')

Goals:
    6 Mellor
    5 Morrison
    4 Miller
    3 Coke
    3 Johnson
    3 Madine
    2 Potter
    2 Tudgay
    2 O'Connor
    2 Heffernan
    2 Reda
    2 Sedgwick
    1 Buxton
    1 Beevers
    1 Teale

ASSISTS:
    6 Teale
    3 Coke
    3 Miller
    3 Sedgwick
    2 Mellor
    2 Morrison
    1 Buxton
    1 Spurr
    1 Potter

16th: 1O-6-13

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    swfc in league 2. making a bee-line for it.

it's nice that our fa cup game saturday is on fsc here in the states. we're gonna get pasted by 7 goals with this defense and everyone will get to see how shitty we really are.:(

8. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is more or less what they are saying @OA.

but: we play horribly the "easy" matches and in the tough matches we seem/sometimes play well... that said i expect us to be crushed as well... :p

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    there are some problems with this team. i mean, in their heads ... or collective head ... or however one puts it. meggo's got his work cut out for him.

... they'll stuff brum on saturday, though. :D

10. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you realize that, currently, we're almost the worst we've ever been? Our worst-ever finish was the 1975-76 season (the year I was born!!), when we finished 20th in the old Division 3 (what is now League 1), avoiding the drop by just one point.

We finished 14th in D3 in 1978, 14th again in D3 in 1979, and 16th in Division 2 (now League 1) in 2004. We're currently 16th, and only five points out of the relegation zone. We have NEVER been in the bottom division, and it's bloody hard to get out of there.

This is intolerable.

1 person likes this.
  11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    get to st andrews, already!

chelsea/everton's gone to penalties and FSC has, naturally enough, stayed with them. now that it's over, though, they've still got to get all their adverts in.

... oops. they come to it just in time to see oba martins score brum's second. this one's gonna be ugly. get back to stamford bridge!

12. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our defending looks terrible. Every time Birmingham get the ball down the left it looks like Hinds and Johnson have never seen an overlapping run before and don't know how to handle it. Time after time Fahey and Bowyer just make that little run and sail past our back line at will. We REALLY need to solidify that or we're going to get creamed as we tire in the second half.

Disappointed with Isaiah Osborne too; he doesn't seem to be able to get any time on the ball, never has any space to feed the ball forward to the strikers. It's all very cluttered in the midfield. Osborne and O'Connor are getting out-muscled by Bowyer entirely.

And how on Earth did Mellor miss that cross?? Throw yourself at the ball, man, this is the FA Cup!!! :mad:

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "if ya dooooooon't phookin' bounce ... !" :D

14. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "Hark now hear, the Wednesday sing, United ran away, and we will fight for ever more because of Boxing Day"

At least the fans turned up :) Sigh...

15. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seeing that shot of Wednesday's famous fan reminded me of a song I used to hear at away grounds in the 80s, towards the end of the Thatcher political era:

"Oh dear, what can the matter be? Margaret Thatcher's kissing Roy Hattersley..." (sung to the tune of "Johnny's So Long at the Fair")

Both Thatcher and Roy were figures of derision at the time...

16. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, that was crap.

I know it's only one game and it's in the Cup, and against Premier League opposition, but what strikes me more than anything is the lack of quality in our play. We'd try to break, and the ball from midfield to the wing would be 2-3 feet behind the winger, who would have to check his run to collect the ball, and that would kill any forward momentum we had. I lost count of the number of times Osborne and Jones failed to link up properly.

The crossing and ball delivery were awful. The commentator mentioned it, but every time we had the ball out wide, either for a free kick or a cross, the ball would either be hit so low that it would be blocked by the first man, or it would be straight at the keeper, or it would be so overhit that the forwards couldn't reach it. Mellor and Morrison barely had a decent crossed ball to attack all game long.

I really don't know what the answer is. Getting outplayed by Birmingham is one thing, but if we're haemmorhaging goals against teams like Peterborough and Exeter and Rochdale and Orient, something clearly isn't right at a base level, and it's something more fundamental than simply coming up against better players. I think Megson and Mandaric have their work cut out for them, and I'm not even talking about getting promoted - not being relegated out of this division will be a challenge. We've got Bournemouth away next, who are top of the league, and if we lose that we could be hovering around 18th-19th place.

I'm just bummed right now.

17. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reda was the only bright spot i saw...

mellor is a flat footed pig.

18. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was men against boys. i know it matters very little, but brum's third goal was total crap. that HAS to be a foul.

1 person likes this.
  19. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the passing (when they try to pass, as opposed to hitting and hoping) isn't crisp, that's for sure. and their movement off the ball is typically so poor that it makes playing the game on the ground virtually impossible. it's not hard to understand why they just twat it up the pitch when they have no options. throughout much of the second half, though, their movement and spacing was, i felt, much improved, and while brum was admittedly cruising by then, wednesday came into it more, not because the passing had become pinpoint, but because it didn't have to be.

they were never going to win today, but if they'll play like they did in the last half hour, they should have their way in the third division more often than not. unfortunately, they apparently spend more time playing like they did in the first half hour. and that won't get you out of any division - unless it's going down.

21. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pook - FYI: never disagree with beastie.

i'm surprised he didn't delete my post. he's done that more than once.

22. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think tactically we were very limited today, too. As pookspur rightly said, twatting the ball forward to Neil Mellor when he's about six inches shorter than Roger Johnson is an exercise in futility, and whenever Clinton Morrison did find himself with the ball at his feet - back to goal - David Murphy would just take it off him.

And again, as pookspur said, the off the ball movement was atrocious. To be fair, the fullbacks did try to get in to the attack, especially in the second half, but time and again Tommy Spurr would come barrelling down the wing with the ball, and Gary Teale would just stop running and watch him run past him and not give him any options once he got into the final third - it was either check back and play a diagonal ball to Liam Palmer, which kills the momentum and gives Birmingham time to regroup, or hit a hopeful ball into the middle, which 90% of the time never reached the forwards. When Spurr makes that run you need Morrison coming towards the ball to free space up for Mellor in the middle and offer himself for a short ball, Osborne and Palmer making runs into the box, and you need Teale tracking the run to recieve the ball back, or overlapping Spurr himself. It's not rocket science.

But what ended up happening was Spurr would have no options, he'd either lose the ball or Brum would cut out the cross, and then Spurr and Teale would both be out of position and Johnson and Beevers would have to scramble to cover, which would then leave huge gaps on the other side of the pitch. It was just awful. Defensive failure 101.

If we can't get this basic structure and tactical awareness right, there's no wonder we're conceding goals left right and center. As good as Reda Johnson is, he can't play three positions at the same time. It's so frustrating.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    :D i've heard that advice elsewhere, tbf.

y'know, as much as i post on the OA, i don't think i'll ever quite understand what touches a nerve over there. i don't mean beastie, per se, but on the occasions that i've seemed to get under folks skin, it's never been anything that i would've thought would annoy. hell, i've been nothing but annoying in the spurs forum for the last few months ... but you feel you always know where you stand.

i don't mean that as a knock on them, by any means - there are lots of good eggs over there. but i'll always be a bit of a foreigner there ... be it american or spurs. still, it's a great board. i can't wait for the brum ramble.

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    that it is.

i got plenty excited when i heard this was on FSC, and was lamenting how infrequently i get to actually see wednesday play. a half hour in, though, i was feeling sorry for those who do.

don't get me wrong ... the wednesday fans were great today. that said, the frustrations really come out at home, and my understanding is that it's getting pretty tetchy at hillsborough these days. and this is a team that doesn't deal well with pressure, at all. it won't take much to get the fans back on board and on song ... but if things don't shape up soon, i suspect it might get ugly.

25. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spot on. reda was my MOTM.

same here. and agreed on the board and what not. seems like they can knock, make fun, say things off the cuff but no one else(me) may...

my thoughts exactly. i was watching with a buddy i play with. he was blown away by how bad we were. he was impressed by reda though.