Sheep Draft World Cup - Main Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lanman, Aug 21, 2013.

1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    #1 lanman, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    Unlike other drafts here, there is no draft order but each pick must match some specific set of criteria I will specify. Every participant will have to submit their choice of player by PM/Conversation to me (so that all is kept secret each round) although there is a catch. If only one drafter selects a player then they get to draft him. If more than one person selects a player then the player is moved to the banned list and cannot be drafted until the final round. If the player does not match the criteria, then the drafter must pick again in the next round but the player will not be banned.

As a change from normal Sheep Drafts, you must select a player from a specific tournament meaning that players may be available multiple times. Players are judged purely on their performance in the World Cup they have been selected for. The tournament you select the player from does not have to be the tournament in which they meet the criteria.

Those failing to get their player will then have to submit a second choice with the same criteria and process being applied (note that those players successfully drafted will not be revealed yet). If they fail again, a third and final submission will be made. If anyone has failed on all three chances, then they will receive a Sheep pick (details in a later post).

Each drafter will eventually end up with 12 players (although some rounds may involve picking two or more players) and must be able to form a recognised team including goalkeeper. At the end, everyone will vote for a winner.

As an example:

Criteria: Select a player who has played in a World Cup Final.

Drafter 1- Pele 58
    Drafter 2- Maradona 86
    Drafter 3- Maradona 90
    Drafter 4- Maradona 86
    Drafter 5- Zidane 98
    Drafter 6- Zidane 98
    Drafter 7- Pele 70
    Drafter 8- Beckenbauer 70

I would then announce:

Drafter 1- Pass
    Drafter 2- Fail - player picked more than once
    Drafter 3- Pass
    Drafter 4- Fail - player picked more than once
    Drafter 5- Fail - player picked more than once
    Drafter 6- Fail - player picked more than once
    Drafter 7- Pass
    Drafter 8- Pass

Banned: Maradona 86, Zidane 98

Note that Zidane 06 would still be available for selection

The unsuccessful drafters would then pick again. Anyone who does not have a player after 3 picks is then awarded a sheep.

soccernutter repped this.
  2. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    #2 lanman, Aug 21, 2013
    The rules:

Player Naming - no player naming unless they have been revealed by myself from the successful picks, the banned list or suggested as sheep. Sheep suggestions should only be made after I have asked for them.

Picks - Picks should be sent via pm/conversation to myself. In some instances, I may ask for further information to back up their eligibility. This is to make things easier for myself in checking (such as in the "Played in a World Cup final" critirea I may have asked for the year to be stated along with the pick).. If this is required I will clearly identify this when setting the criteria.

Time limits - The standard is 48 hours for the first pick, 24 hours for the subsequent 2 picks. Weekends count as either one day or two, so any stage announced on a Friday will have a deadline on the Sunday. Sheep must be selected by the completion of the first pick of the following round.

Missed picks - If you miss your 1st or 2nd pick, you will be allowed to make a supplemental pick at the same time as your next pick. The supplemental pick will count after all normal picks (so cannot block them) and must be made at this time or it is lost. If you miss your 3rd pick, then you get a Sheep.

Teams - From your 12 picks, you must be able form a team in a recognised formation. You don't have to necessarily play players in their prefered position, but you may be marked down in the final vote. You must pick a goalkeeper in the first 11 picks as there may be no goalkeepers for selection or as sheep available in round 12. If you do not have a goalkeeper and do not pick one in round 11 then it will be an automatic failure and a sheep goalkeeper will be allocated if required. One player can be left out altogether, allowing for a bit of flexibility or possibly removing a sheep.

Voting - Once the draft has completed, all drafters will be asked to post their team. If you want you can add a bit of a write up to explain how the team will play. After this, all drafters will be asked to submit a ranking off all other teams (from first to last) via pm. 1st place will be worth 1 point, 2nd 2 points etc. The lowest score wins and I will post the final standings when I have received all rankings.

I reserve the right to add new rules as required in case I have missed anything, although there will be nothing draconian.

3. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    #3 lanman, Aug 21, 2013
    Sheep

In the event of being unsuccessful with all three picks, you will be assigned a Sheep. Following the first set of picks, successful drafters will start to nominate Sheep. All drafters can attempt to veto any suggestion, and if more than one drafter puts in a veto the player will be made inelligible. Where drafters are teamed up, the team counts as one drafter for these purposes.
    Once the third picks have been made, if any Sheep are required I will randomly select one (or more, if required) successful drafters to assign a Sheep. The Sheep must be able to be accommodated within the drafters lineup - so you can't give a Sheep goalkeeper if the drafter already has a keeper, or if you have three strikers you can't assign a fourth (unless one of the strikers has a record of playing in another position). If the drafter receiving the Sheep objects to the position of the player, I will judge whether the Sheep is valid.

If the criteria does not allow for a suitable Sheep, I will relax it somewhat (but keeping to the same theme) to avoid having to award a good player as a Sheep.

Questions about the rules are welcome at any time, either in the thread or via pm/conversation.

4. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    #4 lanman, Aug 21, 2013
    Round 1
    Select a player who has been sent off at the World Cup.

All picks to be submitted via PM

Deadline - Sunday 25th August 8pm (UK time - UTC +1)

Please remember to submit the tournament you wish to select the player from.
    It does not have to be the tournament in which they meet the criteria.

5. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    If I've cocked up anything in the opening posts, please point it out and I'll update it.

Also, anyone else who wishes to join is still welcome.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 soccernutter, Aug 21, 2013
    First in

Edit: You might want to change "PM" to "PM/Conversation" as some of the newer poster haven't been exposed to the old PM term.

7. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Done.

soccernutter repped this.
  9. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It begins...

So 21 participants then right? Banned list will be massive!

Still happy to team up if someone wants to last minute. But I'll be getting my pick in fairly early otherwise.

10. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So, technically we could have 4 Maradonas in play. Provided he is selected for criteria matching 82, 86, 90, 94 and isn't banned for any of those obviously.

Am I right in saying that 4 different teams could then use him as Maradona 86?

And can one team select him twice in two different rounds? Thereby actually fielding 2x Maradona 86?

11. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    No. He can be selected 4 times, but only once for each tournament. All four selections could be based on criteria he matches from the same tournament, however.

12. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    21? Every. Round. Is going to be a bloodbath!

13. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It should fun :D

14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    It certainly has the potential. Maybe it will finally be time for @PDG1978 to get a sheep.

billyireland repped this.
  15. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So a scenario:
    Player X could have
    Round 2: won world cup - Maradona 86
    Player Y could have
    Round 3: lost world cup final - Maradona 90
    Player Z could have
    Round 4: scored in a world cup match - Maradona 94

Player X can only use Maradona 86 in his team
    Player Y can only use Maradona 90 in his team
    Player Z can use Maradona 86 in his team (or 82, but not 90) instead of 94 because it still fits the criteria, even though X will be using Maradona 86

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Pick sent so we'll see how it goes! Not an easy round this one so it'll be interesting to see which way people go I think. Although maybe this is the 'easy' round depending on what you have planned :cautious::whistling:

17. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    #17 lanman, Aug 21, 2013
    The tournament used for the criteria is not related to the tournament used for the selection.

Player X could select Maradona from any tournament, not just 86. He has to specify which Maradona he picks at the time of the pick. If he picked 86, then Player Y would then have the option of selecting 82, 90 or 94 Maradona in Round 3.

In theory, all 4 Maradona's could be taken (and/or banned) with the Round 2 criteria.

18. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I think this will end up as one of the tougher rounds. Probably not the toughest, but certainly more tough than easy. Of course, it will depend on how many go on the banned list, but that's how I see it panning out.

PDG1978 repped this.
  19. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The tournament used for the criteria is not related to the tournament used for the selection.

Player X could select Maradona from any tournament, not just 86. He has to specify which Maradona he picks at the time of the pick. If he picked 86, then Player Y would then have the option of selecting 82, 90 or 94 Maradona in Round 3.

In theory, all 4 Maradona's could be taken (and/or banned) with the Round 2 criteria.[/quote]
    Got it, thanks. Completely different to what I thought then.

20. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo participation confirmed.

21. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are we allowed to discuss players in this thread?

22. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Only drafted players or Sheep (when I ask for them). The examples in my first post are pretty obvious, so can be used for querying examples.

23. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I understand - phew, I was scared for a moment then, thought someone was trying to sabotage by pick! ;)

Are we allowed to change it before the window closes though?

24. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Yes, you can submit a pick now and change it at any point before the deadline.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be consider play-off for 3rd?