Sheep Draft V - Main Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lanman, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's always one...

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Final Rankings

1 - Sammer's Hammer - 266 points
    2 - Breitner'sWig - 258 points
    3 - soccernutter - 246 points
    4 - La-Maquina - 217 points
    5 - cr7torossi - 196 points
    6 - Twenty26Six - 195 points
    7 - Excape Goat - 194 points
    8 - PDG1978 - 159 points
    9 - Peru FC - 153 points*
    10 - Stud83 - 153 points*
    11 - babaorum - 135 points
    12 - Michaelf7777777 - 122 points
    13 - Polemarch - 118 points
    14 - Lucas Gomes - 108 points
    15 - Bestie - 97 points
    16 - frasermc - 65 points
    17 - Vasu - 46 points
    18 - Karloski - 25 points

*Peru FC finishes higher by having a highest ranking of 3rd compared to Stud83's 4th.

I'll post a more detailed breakdown of the voting over the weekend, but in the meantime thank you all for playing.

Excape Goat, Stud83, cr7torossi and 6 others repped this.
  3. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    No way!!

I demand a recount using whoscored.com ratings please. :mad:

4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    In all seriousness congrats to @Sammer's Hammer on the victory and thanks once again to @lanman for running the show!

Twenty26Six and lanman repped this.
  5. Bestie

Bestie Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  6. Sammer's Hammer

Feb 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    FINALLY, I break my Michael Ballack streak in BS drafts. :D

Thanks to all those who voted for me. Hard Luck, @Breitner'sWig . It was close as hell between the both of us. Last but not the least, Thanks @lanman once again for conducting the draft.

7. Sammer's Hammer

Feb 21, 2013
    Thanks Fraser and Bestie! :)

8. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Congrats to @Sammer's Hammer, I also had you 1st. My top 5 was almost the same as final results.

Sammer's Hammer repped this.
  9. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Great fun guys, thanks for the draft. Rankings look fair, I think only Lucas Gomes should have been a bit higher.

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Well done Sammer's Hammer. I had Breitner's Wig's team 1st but those two as the top two contenders. I also put soccernutter's team 3rd and thought his team was the other possible winning team. I did think this could be even a rare draft where I could come higher than I'd place my own team at one point, but I guess it's good (?o_O) that I'd tend to rate it above it's finishing position - couldn't really make a case for higher than 4th though and I think the only advantage over the top 2 really would be the same one soccernutter has - the class of the main star player (Pele, Cruyff). This time I think I'd have to rely on team shape including going towards our own goal which is often not the area my team compares to the top teams or any teams necessarily maybe the most favourably. Breitner's Wig still probably had as good a team in that respect as any anyway, while still having a great front 4 (somehow in this 'impossible' draft he takes Van Basten, Laudrup and Best, adds Hamrin for right wing and has Vieira as a very able footballer who's also very good defensively).

My vote:
    1 - BreitnersWig
    2 - Sammer's Hammer
    3 - soccernutter
    4 - Stud83
    5 - Lucas Gomes (yes, a big question over the defence with the 'sheep' though but maybe a top tier team without that I felt)
    6 - Michaelf7777777
    7 - Twenty26Six
    8 - cr7torossi
    9 - Bestie
    10 - La Maquina (would go above Bestie's team with his sheep, and maybe a few others if Altafini in instead of the 2nd DM I think)
    11 - Polemarch
    12 - Excape Goat
    13 - El-Mata (didn't penalise at all once the line-up was confirmed but maybe dropped a place or two compared to what I estimated before - hard call to pick the final team from his 12 though for sure)
    14 - babaorum (Piantoni in instead of Szymaniak or Middelboe would have moved him up a bit in my list I think - hard to judge more than most teams against the 'youngsters' in other teams but nice to see such a historical team anyway)
    15 - Peru FC (in touch with those above, and I doubt the questions I did have - Netzer as deepest mid could be ok based on Germany team in 1972, Willomowsi could probably still offer something with all-time great opponents especially in a tougher draft)
    16 -frasermc
    17 - Karloski
    18 - Vasu
    19 - nicephoras (would likely have slotted him in behind fraser, but felt I should give the benefit of the doubt to the next two as they had more managerial input)
    20 - Baggio in Turin (don't think I'd have put higher, but I suppose thebigman just had his team sheet and benni had a very unfortunate draft so felt neither had the tactical genius potential to rise above him to be fair)
    21 - thebigman
    22 - benni......

Tough draft, but a really good one anyway with new names in my team and others.

11. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Same old feeling every single May...

[​IMG]

Nah just kidding, delighted to come that high up. @Sammer's Hammer was a run away winner for me, I would have been disappointed to miss top 5 but otherwise happy enough so thanks for the votes. If I'm honest his defence and front line were both superior in my opinion. Plus I thought he should have won the world cup sheep draft so well done!

Thanks as always to lanman too, some excellent rounds once again.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Congrats to Sammer's Hammer.

Twenty26Six and Sammer's Hammer repped this.
  13. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ah crap ! Next time I won't spend hours searching players from the prehistoric ages of football :p. Congrats BreitnersWig and thanks lanman :thumbsup:.

14. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im happy for you. Is this your best finish?

Sorry guys for holding up the draft when I did. Having 3 sheep, I found it hard to keep going let alone do the tactics and rankings.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I'm actually quite pleased. I figured I'd end up around 5-7 having over estimated my team. It was either sheep IV or sheep III that I also finished third.

I appreciate that you stuck it out. One of things I look forward to his what people will say about their sheep in the tactics write-up.

Twenty26Six and benni... repped this.
  16. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll post tactics this weekend mate.

Excape Goat repped this.
  17. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002