Sheep Draft V - Main Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lanman, Feb 18, 2014.

1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Voting opens Friday evening (8pm UK time), regardless of whether all tactics are in. I will be deducting points for submissions after this point.

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I have started rating the teams but it may be about Wednesday next week before I have a full ratings list in if thats ok.

3. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    No problem. Will allow at least a week for voting.

4. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Am i right in saying these four are missing tactics?
    Baggio
    El Mata
    nicephoras
    thebigman

Had a quick look and i think this one is a bit easier to judge already. The criteria and numbers have meant weaker teams all round.

5. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Yes, just the four outstanding. I'm opening the voting now, as there's been enough time for tactics.

Deadline for voting is Sunday 11th May.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    thebigman's line-up is a few pages back but I'll copy it onto the tactics thread over the weekend (or probably in a few hours, today).

Breitner'sWig repped this.
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok, I'm taking this to mean Yassin the Egyptian is the player left out of El Mata's team. The formation isn't necessarily obvious so lack of managers tactics/instructions might lead to downgrades maybe, and people might just vote the 3 teams without tactics last (not sure if I will or not, and wouldn't be fair to say so yet anyway) but we know who's in nice's team and Baggio's team too so at least the 11 players in each team are clear.

Just thought I'd post to point it out to others as I'd not remembered about it until I searched his posts just now for clues about who'd be left out. I know Yassin was a sheep but I wasn't sure if he'd stay in given EL Mata's collection of 12 players and their positions/roles.

8. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I won't necessarily vote them last but part of my total score for each team includes the tactical write up so naturally, if this isn't present it is probably going to mean a reduced final total compared to all the other sides.

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I don't use scores but in effect I'll probably do similar. If I give the benefit of the doubt to teams with tactics in a tight decision then I might give several that benefit vs El Mata's team this time especially given his players and their roles. If he does clear up his formation before I vote I'd at least consider that though (I know he's been offline for a while so could log on anytime potentially - he signed up for Excape Goat's World Cup game didn't he too....) as well as any comments by Argentines, French or others re: Hector De Bourgoing (I'm thinking he might play as attacking right back in El Mata's line-up unless the formation was 3-1-2-1-3 as per Cruyff-era Barca at times, or indeed Cruyff's All-Time team announced not so long ago).

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @El Mata just returned a few hours ago for my WC game. He should be around.

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yep, seen his line-up now (3-4-3) and repped it. Can sort of see some tactics from the arrows already anyway.

12. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Votes should be in by next Friday?

13. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Sunday.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  14. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I've sent my final ranking.

I've to say that some teams with the best collection of figures dropped in my opinion after check their tactics, but more clearly one that I thought previously one of the favorites.

15. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    So what's the status, do we have most rankings?

16. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'll get mine in later today.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Submitted - who's left?

18. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I sent mine in last night. It would be good to have results tomorrow night if possible.

I ranked them one way by looking at the lineups and tactics and another way by rating the players then compared the two. Some thing I noticed
    - There was one clear winner from looking at the tactics and he also won by the other method, but not by a long way
    - Tough race for second place but by ratings agreed with my final decision on 2nd-4th
    - A couple of teams who ranked top 6 or 7 on ratings suffered badly with formations and having players not in their strongest positions.
    - Sheep make a huge difference (obviously)
    - Some teams seemed to be made or broken by their strikers
    - Not posting tactics cost at one or two teams a few places on the ranking

19. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Not really. Seven votes received.

20. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I will get something in by tomorrow night.

21. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Final results sent.

There were a clear top 2 for me...and it was close in terms of who came first.

The next 6\7 were close (having very good areas or tactics), so it wasn't easy to place one above another.

The rest were also very hard (apart from the few bottom feeders who clearly had terrible teams), because of the decision on who's weaknesses were worse.

As always in these drafts, a large chunk of the mid teams are very difficult to seperate, and thus small margins could be the difference between 5th or 12th. Try not to take offence, and remember, nearly everybody overrates their own team.

22. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It'd be interesting to see where people would rank their own team to compare to the results. Lots of top 5 finishes.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I'm in first, the results are wrong. ;)

babaorum repped this.
  24. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    When's the deadline? I might have to send them in tomorrow unless it has to be tonight.

25. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Still waiting on quite a few rankings. I'll do a round up in 24 hours and look for a comittment from those outstanding.