Sheep Draft main Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by lanman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Unlike other drafts here, there is no draft order but each pick must match some specific set of criteria I will specify. Every participant will have to submit their choice of player by PM to me (so that all is kept secret each round) although there is a catch. If only one drafter selects a player then they get to draft him. If more than one person selects a player then the player is moved to the banned list and cannot be drafted until the final round. If the player does not match the criteria, then the drafter must pick again in the next round but the player will not be banned.

Those failing to get their player will then have to submit a second choice with the same criteria and process being applied (note that those players successfully drafted will not be revealed yet). If they fail again, a third and final submission will be made. If anyone has failed on all three chances, then the successful drafters and myself can nominate other players who meet the criteria who will then be randomly allocated to the people who failed (ie the Sheep). These players should generally be among the weaker players who fulfil the initial criteria.

Each drafter will eventually end up with 12 players (although some rounds may involve picking two players) and must be able to form a recognised team including goalkeeper. At the end, everyone will vote for a winner.

As an example:

Criteria: Select a player who has played in a World Cup Final.

Drafter 1- Pele
    Drafter 2- Maradonna
    Drafter 3- Puskas
    Drafter 4- Puskas
    Drafter 5- Zidane
    Drafter 6- Zidane
    Drafter 7- Eusebio
    Drafter 8- Muller

I would then announce:

Drafter 1- Pass
    Drafter 2- Pass
    Drafter 3- Fail - Puskas selected more than once
    Drafter 4- Fail - Puskas selected more than once
    Drafter 5- Fail - Zidane selected more than once
    Drafter 6- Fail - Zidane selected more than once
    Drafter 7- Fail - Player does not match criteria
    Drafter 8- Pass

Banned: Puskas, Zidane

Drafters 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 must pick again

Drafter 3- Muller
    Drafter 4- Moore
    Drafter 5- Beckenbauer
    Drafter 6- Muller
    Drafter 7- Ronaldo

Results:

Drafter 3- Fail - Player already drafted in round
    Drafter 4- Pass
    Drafter 5- Pass
    Drafter 6- Fail - Player already drafted in round
    Drafter 7- Pass

Drafters 3 & 6 pick again

Drafter 3- Moore
    Drafter 6- Romario

Results

Drafter 3- Fail - Player already drafted in round
    Drafter 6- Pass

Drafter 3 is to have a player selected for him. Successful drafters (and myself) will be invited to nominate some "sheep" and all unsuccessful players will have a player randomly assigned to them.
    After some suggestions, it ends up that Drafter 3 must take Staphane Guivarc'h and the results of the other selections will be made available along with the current state of the banned list.

Additionally, an "All Sheep" team will be compiled over the rounds using the same suggestions as for the unsuccessful drafters. Again, this will be randomly assigned along with the other sheep.

2. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    The rules:

Player Naming - no player naming unless they have been revealed by myself from the successful picks, the banned list or suggested as sheep. Sheep suggestions should only be made after I have asked for them.

Picks - Picks should be sent via pm to myself. In some instances, I may ask for further information to back up their eligibility. This is to make things easier for myself in checking (such as in the "Played in a World Cup final" critirea I may have asked for the year to be stated along with the pick).. If this is required I will clearly identify this when setting the criteria.

Time limits - with this being a new thing, I'm not going to be too strict with deadlines for the first few rounds. As we get into the swing of things I may start to be stricter if things look like they're progressing slowly.

Missed picks - If you miss your pick it will be an automatic fail. If there are still picks to be made in that round you can just join in with the 2nd or 3rd pick. If you miss the third pick then you get a sheep.

Teams - From your 12 picks, you must be able form a team in a recognised formation. You don't have to necessarily play players in their prefered position, but you may be marked down in the final vote. You must pick a goalkeeper in the first 11 picks as there may be no goalkeepers for selection or as sheep available in round 12. If you do not have a goalkeeper and do not pick one in round 11 then it will be an automatic failure and a sheep goalkeeper will be allocated if required. One player can be left out altogether, allowing for a bit of flexibility or possibly removing a sheep.

Voting - Once the draft has completed, all drafters will be asked to post their team. If you want you can add a bit of a write up to explain how the team will play. After this, all drafters will be asked to submit a ranking off all other teams (from first to last) via pm. 1st place will be worth 1 point, 2nd 2 points etc. The lowest score wins and I will post the final standings when I have received all rankings.

I reserve the right to add new rules as required in case I have missed anything, although there will be nothing draconian.

3. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Round 1

Select a player who has scored 35 or more international goals.

Please title the pm: Round 1 Pick 1

Could we aim to get picks in before the weekend if possible.

If you need some more information, RSSSF.com has a list. There are over a hundred players who match this criteria, many are all-time greats and there are a good few prospective sheep.

Again, if anyone else would like to join then we still have room for a few more.

4. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I'm still waiting on two picks, so with this being the first round I'm going to let things go for another day or two. The weekend is normally a bit of a downtime in drafts so i don't think it will slow the whole process down too much.

TKORL has also joined the draft and picked.

5. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    While we're waiting, the following drafters will need to make a second pick:

Argentine Soccer Fan
    billyireland
    comme
    frasermc
    Karloski
    KyleP
    PDG1978
    Peru FC

Other drafters may still fail as well depending on the outstanding picks.

Please do not submit your second pick until we have all of the first pciks in or I decide to move on. I will be revealing the players who have been put on the banned list when I have all the initial picks in so you may waste a pick if you select one of them before they are announced.

6. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I did not see in the rules.

Will successful picks be published? Or, will we have to "guess" who was picked in the previous round, so we don't double-pick?

7. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Successful picks will be revealed after each round is completed.
    Banned players will be revealed after each pick.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So we'll have to pick without knowing who's been picked already? This should be fun. I can see there's more to this game than just knowing the players.

BTW, I can think of some great sheep for this round. I just hope I don't get stuck with one of them.

9. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    There are more than enough even if everyone fails their next two picks. You really want to get a good player if you can, although with 12 rounds you can afford one slip up.

I've got a pick from Dark Savante so only Excape Goat is outstanding and he hasn't confirmed he's taking part. If I've heard nothing back by tomorrow evening (GMT) then we'll move on to the next picks.

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sorry, I just sent a pick a few hours ago.

11. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    No problem.

Results of the first picks will be up later today.

12. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Any chance you can update us soon, Ianman? I might have to run soon, not sure when I can get back online. Dying to know who took my guy too; had a sneaking suspicion he might have slipped through. :eek:

13. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I'm just waiting for Lamps>Gerrard who has asked to change his pick. As he was successful with his first choice, I don't mind as long as it's done today.

14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    If anyone wants an update while we're waiting for Lamps>Gerrard then I can send one by PM. It won't be the definitive update, as there will be the potential for one more player to go onto the banned list.

15. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes please.:)

16. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Please.

17. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Sent to both of you.

18. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'll wait for my fate. How long do we have again to submit our second choice?

19. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I'll ideally be looking to get the picks by Monday evening.

If that's going to cause anyone a problem please shout up.

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I might as well have the almost definitive update by PM too Ianman. Cheers.

21. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
  22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It will be nice if I can get an update too.

23. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
  24. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gits.;)