Sheedy stays at Essendon

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Jun 29, 2004.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the coaching news concerning those being sacked or resigning, here's a case of the more times change, the more they stay the same.

Or in the words of The Who... meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Sheedy to stay at Windy Hill -- afl.com.au

An amazing run continues-- it'll be a 27-year tenure by the time his new contract runs out, while turning down the rumored overtures of Richmond that had allegedly been trying to hire him.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Perfect.

3. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yep, perfect as the Bombers aren't going anywhere! :D

Do you think Sheedy will want to do the hard yards once again as the Bombers try and rebuild their list for another crack at the Premiership in a few years time? It seemed like a good time for Sheedy to move on and someone else, (Mark Harvey) to take over at Windy Hill. There's only so many changes and reinventions a man can go through in his lifetime, and I think Sheedy has used most of them all up in his 24 years at Windy Hill. He's been a great coach over a long period of time, but I think his time may have passed.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the sub-topic of Mark Harvey, I know that Sheeds said on 3AW last weekend that he wouldn't stand in Harvey's way if he wanted to go for another club's head-coaching vacancy.

On the surface, that would have Essendon screwed, as Harvey would be a natural procession from Sheedy as the club's coach. Same mindset, etcetera.

If Harvey leaves, it might actually set the Bombers back a couple of steps.

Harsh words, probably-- but no one can rightfully expect Harvey to remain there for three years waiting in the wings for his turn. Might be a sure thing, coaching-wise and job-wise, for him, but the next three years will be a sure-fire test of his loyalty to that club.

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I can't think of a club that deserves it more.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

They have been very consistent over a very, very long time, that's for sure.

And a lot of credit for that falls on Sheedy's shoulders, for keeping them at, near, or within reach of the top.