SheBelieves Cup 2017

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by toad455, Jan 11, 2017.

1. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Schedule announced today. Games to take place in Chester, PA; Harrison, NJ & Washington DC. Same four teams as 2016.

http://www.skybluefc.com/new-jersey-named-host-site-for-2017-shebelieves-cup/

Mar. 1 England vs. France Talen Energy Stadium Chester, Pa. 4 p.m. ET

Mar. 1 USA vs. Germany Talen Energy Stadium Chester, Pa. 7 p.m. ET FS1

Mar. 4 France vs. Germany Red Bull Arena Harrison, N.J. 2:15 p.m. ET

Mar. 4 USA vs. England Red Bull Arena Harrison, N.J. 5 p.m. ET FOX

Mar. 7 Germany vs. England RFK Stadium Washington, D.C. 4 p.m. ET

Mar. 7 USA vs. France RFK Stadium Washington, D.C. 7 p.m. ET FS1

gricio61 repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they have both matches in the same stadium (one right after the other) last year as well?
    For some reason, I can't seem to remember that detail.
    FYI - I did not attend any of the matches.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yup!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_SheBelieves_Cup

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know why Melanie Leupolz did not make the roster for the SBC? Is she injured?

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...know-about-the-germany-shebelieves-cup-roster

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes, she is injured. Laudehr, Kemme, and Huth are also injured.

gricio61 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gricio61 repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    France

gricio61 repped this.
  8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Toletti and Karchaoui make the squad. :)

9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Karchaoui was a given coming back, there is no real competition there except Boulleau who is just struggling to come back from multiple injuries. Toletti has a lot more competition in midfield.
    One missing players is Hamraoui who made a big mistake moving from PSG to Lyon as she can't get a game and rarely even makes the bench on matchday.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really blame players when they decide to move to a club where the pay is better and the environment is healthier. They only have a short window in their lives to play this game. But it doesn't matter if you can't get on the field because the coach believes everyone else is better than you. I think Hamraoui has a lot of potential, but she needs to be playing on a consistent basis. Maybe a move out of France will help her get the game time she needs.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Wolfsburg's Goessling & Mittag didn't play in last week's opening game of the Bundesliga's 2nd half season. Kristin Denman didn't play either for Bayern Munich, Leupolz got in at the 88th minute. With all these apparent injuries, don't expect too much from Germany at the SBC; their big thing is winning the Euro's later on in the summer.

Right now their problem is with some of their healthy ones; Marozsan is sort of a streaky player, she usually sits back on a super powerful squad like her current Lyon, but come alive at times to become the best mid in the world(will the real Marozsan please stand up!). Jones still doesn't want to change her starting cb's; Henning's simply an atrociously slow defender, where ever she goes. Peter is simply pretty much the same at Wolfsburg. Once Jones figures this out and promptly replaces them, she just might have something despite all the injuries

gricio61 repped this.
  12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here is once again England's roster for the SBC
    http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/feb/...ieves-cup-usa-germany-france-lionesses-210217

for me, they're probably going to be the least interesting team at the tourney, coach Sampson plays a cantinero style defense & usually happy with just 1-0 win. Guess it's cause his mids have little creativity & his fwds aren't fast enough. Take it that their one top world class player--Lucy Bronze--will probably move up to mid from her usual right FB spot. Replacing her back there will probably be the popular Dash player, Rachel Daly, who's very speedy fwd, but as we all know has an atrocious final shot.
    England itself is very depth in woso players, and could easily field an B team. look who's missing on this squad(don't know if it's due to injuries or just lost favor with Sampson)

Rafferty
    Greenwood
    Chapman
    Sanderson
    Kirby
    Davison
    Clarke
    Dalton
    Aluko
    Mead
    Dowie

Chapman & Greenwood were the best defenders(or if you prefer, dirtiest players) previously for Sampson. Greenwood & Rafferty, two of the world's loveliest players, will surely missed as well(though Rafferty had this odd habit of scoring against her own team!)

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one took some deciphering, but unless there's some other football system that I'm not aware of, I think you mean a catenaccio system?

14. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Sanderson tore her ACL in Sept. So it's still far too soon for her to be back.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Rafferty lost favour with the coach
    Greenwood still coming back from injury
    Chapman lost favour with the coach
    Sanderson as mentioned by Holden ACL
    Kirby injured
    Davison dropped
    Clarke dropped
    whose Dalton ?
    Aluko lost favour due to bad behaviour
    Mead injured was selected with U23 team but pulled out
    Dowie does not get on well with senior players who reject her

England play in 3-5-1-1 system in general.

gricio61 repped this.
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    would you prefer calling it the double decker park-the-bus girls instead? Do believe Homer called Sampson's style best

mean't Leah Galton, I know she made training the NT training camp, but not sure if she's been capped yet. Here's highlights of her with her Sky Blue club

not a good sign when way too many have lost favor with the coach(as judging by her past history, it would of been the same with Sanderson).

looks like the best game at the SBC is the final France vs USA game(considering the injury plagued, Germany & out of favor with coach, England). Since the French coach played a more direct attacking style in his last two friendlies, do you think he'll try to beat the Yanks with their own game?

17. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She wanted to move at Bayern during the winter transfer window but her request was blocked by....Precheuro_O
    :(...It's clear Kheira made a very bad career choice (well certainly not financially) but she and the others ex-PSG players (Seger, Dali, Houara etc...) all left the club because they thought Paris was about to renew Benstiti contract....he was the reason behind them leaving...PSG board made the amateur mistake (as they even ackowledged it) to not inform those payers that Lair was coming....
    Anyway, for Kheira the Euro are certainly over as even in case of some injuries, Echouafni under massive Juvisy influence cleary let us know that he would prefer to call Juvisy players Butel, Bilbaut or Jaurena...all three clearly inferior to Hamraoui but you know Juvisy's mafia....
    I really don't think France will be better than last season because our new coach Echouafni hasn't been able to improve our attacking....I don't even remember the last time we scored on open plays, and even against South Africa, with all my due respect to SA but very weak team, our attacking players had another shocking bad performance and if it wasn't for CB!! Griedge Mbock that game could have seriously ended in a scoreless draw....:ninja:.
    Bergeroo and Echouafni are making the SAME mistake of using Le Sommer as lone striker when Eugenie doesn't have technical (header, pivot game etc...) neither physical (she's too short, not strong enough) or even mental (she get easily bullied) to be effective in that position, she NEVER plays there for Lyon .
    Until Echouafni keeps a 4-3-3 formation with basically nobody to support e Sommer, we will find it very very hard to beat any decent team, I see USA and Germany definitely superior to us...as team not individually.

gricio61, BlueCrimson and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  18. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 MiLLeNNiuM, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    I think Hotjam meant (Leah) Galton.
    She was last seen playing on the U-23's.
    Plays for Sky Blue FC in the NWSL.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US's roster of 23 for SheBelieves:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Jane Campbell (Houston Dash), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)
    DEFENDERS (6): Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Ali Krieger (Orlando Pride), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars), Emily Sonnett (Portland Thorns FC)
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Rose Lavelle (Boston Breakers), Carli Lloyd (Manchester City), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Samantha Mewis (NC Courage), Brianna Pinto (CASL)
    FORWARDS (6): Crystal Dunn (Chelsea Ladies FC), Jessica McDonald (NC Courage), Alex Morgan (Olympique Lyonnais), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Mallory Pugh (UCLA), Lynn Williams (NC Courage)

--Klingenberg, Killion, and Rodriguez were cut from the training camp roster of 25. McDonald was added.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...mes-23-players-to-2017-shebelieves-cup-roster

gricio61 repped this.
  20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I admit, haven't kept up close tabs with the USWNT since they went back into their tomato can phrase with playing teams like Romania, but what happened with Ohaj & Rapinoe? and Kling not making is a surprise; she made the 2015 WC all-star team, And who the heck is Pinto?
    SA is a tough team to play against, they've given hard time to the US, Sweden & Brazil as well with their park-the-bus style. France really shined in the earlier friendly vs Spain, causing havoc in the midfield with a strong pressing game & lightning quick counter attacks.
    But the SBC is taylor made for the US, which comes relatively injury free & strong depth/with the 6 subs, no o.t. format. Besides Ellis needs something to prove after her poor outing(and choice selections) at last year's Olympics, where as the Euro team most likely aren't going to put their best foot out so early, they prefer to keep that for the UEFA championships this summer[/QUOTE]

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not sure why Ohai was cut, but I think Pinoe and Kling are being scrutinized more than previously because the team is feeling the pressure from younger players coming up the pipeline. And neither of them had great 2016 seasons.

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like STT said, neither Kling or Pinoe had great 2016 seasons, and Rapinoe has never really fully come back from her ACL injury. Also Klingenberg, because of some lingering injuries, is not match fit. On Ohai, I don't know why she didn't make the cut.

Brianna Pinto is a 16-year-old junior in high school who plays as a #6; she played every minute of every match for the US in last year's U17 WWC. She impressed enough there and at the U23's January camp to get called into the full team's January camp.

gricio61 repped this.
  23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ah right, Galton was called up with the seniors last season I think but did not come because of an injury. It looks liek she missed the boat as someone else got in the squad and stayed there instead of her.
    Sometimes you need luck with you.

Bonner replaces Potter who has a knee injury in the squad.

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm just kinda surprised, that Ellis didn't go with some of the W'League Americana with D'iBernardino, Huerta. Colaprico, Mautz, Gilliland, Hoy having such dominating performances, and even Barnes, Tymrak & Yanez helped MC in the championship, while the little known Boureille left the the best impression for league leaders, CU, when they showed the comprehensive stats for one game

But I guess Ellis might of felt they had their fun in the sun all ready, and needed the rest

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they were playing in the W-League, none of them participated in the January camp, where I think Ellis made a lot of her decisions about who to bring into the SheBelieves training camp.